Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree166Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orseay View Post
For me and my girlfriend, this would be an EPIC journey.
As you put "Me" in front "my girlfriend" I question your motives. Is your girlfriend blindly in lus..err love with you? Or is she just a mouse following your piping?

Cards on the table? It's really going to be your trip, your epic journey, and she's along for the ride to tell you how wonderful you are, right?

In all seriousness, it's imperative that she learns to sail and handle the boat and more. It's not the same as "playing house" Think of her out there on deck at the wheel or tiller, in the dark.. dark like you can' perceive. and you sleeping down below.

jus sayin....

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2012
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road

IslanderGuy and 1usavet like this.
Old 03-07-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

And some here think I am the mean one who scares off newbies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bljones; 03-07-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-07-2012
midlife crisis member

it's only 200 miles. How hard can it be?
Old 03-07-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThumbs View Post
it's only 200 miles. How hard can it be?
You're taking the long route.

http://www.wadespage.com/B800DS02RF04.shtml

Old 03-07-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lans0012 View Post
Maybe a more realistic goal and just as fun would be to buy in FL and island hop the keys. By the time you get to key west you might have the boat and your skills dialed in enough for the crossing to the Dry Tortugas. When stuff breaks you would be closer to services. If you run out of money you could find jobs at a restaurant or hotel in key west.

Get a small stout boat with lots of water tankage and some good ground tackle. Lots of boats for sale in FL get a decent one but save plenty of dough for upgrades and unforeseen failures, which will probably be many if you don't have much time around boats.
Good advice, that's the approach I would suggest, as well... After the OP acquires the basic skills sailing a smaller boat first, of course...

The Keys will offer an ideal preparation for a possible trip to the Bahamas, you'll learn a bit about reading the water, anchoring in reversing currents, and so on... But the Keys are considerably more benign than the Bahamas, it's a bit tougher to get into any real serious trouble in the Keys, and of course assistance, if needed, is generally gonna be pretty close at hand... One thing a lot of people don't appreciate about the Bahamas until they've been there, is how quickly you can find yourself in some pretty remote spots, and the possibility of getting into some pretty serious trouble you might have to contend with entirely on your own...

Another big advantage to starting out in the Keys, IMHO, is the likelihood of encountering many more people your own age, either living aboard, or cruising... Once you cross the Gulf Stream, you've officially entered Old Farts Territory, you're not gonna find too many young people bumming around over there, at least from what I've seen in recent years...

So, get your feet wet for awhile in the Keys, then maybe think about making the jump over if you feel your skills, and your boat, are up to it... The Keys aren't the equal of the Bahamas by any means, but they're still a pretty cool place to cruise, and the perfect training ground for such a venture, IMHO...
davidpm, Bene505 and Orseay like this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 03-07-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-07-2012

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

Other than crossing the stream.
No Worries!
Jim
Old 03-07-2012
midlife crisis member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Even easier!
Old 03-07-2012

Orseay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Orseay, I’m assuming that you are looking more for validation than advice, so I’m telling you to “go for it”. You have made me realize that I haven’t learned all that much over the thirty plus years of sailing boats on the world's oceans. And, that a clever neophyte like yourself knows all the tricks in procuring affordable gear and outfitting for cruising that have somehow eluded the rest of us. I hope that you can impart this wisdom to us before you too, become experienced and somehow lose these valuable insights. Keep up your posting as I’m sure it will be entertaining. Far too often the “Tyros” stop posting after they get in over their heads and for once I’d like to read the “postscript”.
Thank you for your sarcasm, Senior George. You sound like a very wise man.

I'm not sure when this turned into an experience competition, but you win. I am very humbled by your thirty plus years on the world's oceans.

However, I'm not sure when I hinted at having, "tricks in procuring affordable gear and outfitting for cruising" so I'm not too sure where that was directed.

I get it, you're an experienced sailor and you're older than me.

Please keep negative and jaded comments to your self.
Old 03-07-2012

Orseay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
As you put "Me" in front "my girlfriend" I question your motives. Is your girlfriend blindly in lus..err love with you? Or is she just a mouse following your piping?

Cards on the table? It's really going to be your trip, your epic journey, and she's along for the ride to tell you how wonderful you are, right?

In all seriousness, it's imperative that she learns to sail and handle the boat and more. It's not the same as "playing house" Think of her out there on deck at the wheel or tiller, in the dark.. dark like you can' perceive. and you sleeping down below.

jus sayin....
Yes, you summed up my relationship and our intentions based on my grammar. Thank you.

Tags
amature , bahamas , crusing