Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2003

rwcat is on a distinguished road
Airline Security Take Equipment!

FYI: Last week, after 3 flights from USVI to North Carolina, I discovered that security had taken two 38 gram pressurized CO2 cylinders from my checked baggage. One was taken out of my SOSuspenders life vest/harness and as well as a separate spare bottle. The cylinder in my vest was unscrewed to revent vest inflation. I have traveled with these in my checked baggage several times, and have never had these taken before...even when discovered during searches of my checked baggage (in my presence). I have been advised by flight attendants that these would be no problem.

So...beware! Apparently they are not ok to take. I guess I''ll have to get other gear?

Being a licensed USCG Master (having to submit to an FBI background check), I would think that professionals should be able to get some type of security approval to carry such equipment and even to possibly get through security checks a bit easier. Having to fly 1-way most of the time, I''m almost always checked and checked!!! Now that I was found carrying "illegal" stuff in my checked baggage, I can''t help but wonder if my name is now in the database for perpetual searches!!!

Any comments!!!

Ray
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook