SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Guns on boats... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/84762-guns-boats.html)

rhr1956 03-08-2012 09:54 PM

Guns on boats...

No, I'm not trying to start another gun thread. Really... I've been looking at most of the major cruising, sailing, boating forums on the internet and guess what? They all contain arguments about guns on boats. Clearly there are two sides. My curiosity beckons why? Why do people seem so drawn to this topic? Why are they compelled to choose a side and then participate in the back and forth? Usually it all gets squashed by a moderator anyway, with some kind of a comment that sounds like..."Now, now children".
Is there another topic that creates such a riff between those who otherwise share so much in common?

bljones 03-08-2012 10:07 PM

Re: Guns on boats...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhr1956 (Post 842371)
No, I'm not trying to start another gun thread. Really...

Yes you are.

This field has already been plowed, seeded, harvested and plowed again so often that it is now incapable of new growth.

Let's cut to the chase -what answer do you want to hear?

rhr1956 03-08-2012 10:19 PM

No I'm not attempting to start a gun thread. I am curious as to why the topic is so magnetic. I'm not interested in the gun itself, but why the thought of a gun on a boat riles so many so quickly. That's all.

chrisncate 03-08-2012 10:21 PM

Do you have a theory you'd like to share, rhr?

rhr1956 03-08-2012 10:31 PM

No theory, just wondering why it is. On another forum yesterday, someone shared a story of Matt Rutherford (solo round the Americas on 27 Albin Vega) and how he fired a couple blasts from a shotgun over a boat that approached him, at night and over 100 miles from the east coast of South America. Obviously he was scared and armed. Maybe the person who posted the story was trying to start a gun thread..I don't know. It's what took place after the original post that prompted me to move to this forum and ask the question. WHY ARE PEOPLE DRAWN IN?

KIVALO 03-08-2012 10:31 PM

My two cents... Guns are divisive topic and like most divisive topics people have strong & differing opinions. I think in general people like to debate, its part of how we learn. Combine the two and you have the makings of a debate on par with politics & religion.

Brad
s/v KIVALO

Hookturn 03-08-2012 10:37 PM

Kivalo said it all. It's a hot topic that will get ppl goin on both sides. Enough said.

rhr1956 03-08-2012 10:41 PM

It's the choosing sides so quickly and drawing swords that makes me wonder. Even when a story about someone losing their boat in a storm appears on these forums, people jump in with genuine comments of good will and well wishes, while others chime in with accusations of incompetency and negligence. A boat sinking isn't really a polarizing topic but somehow it generally results and a long exchange of the same type behavior.

rhr1956 03-08-2012 10:42 PM

I'm done now...just saying what was on my mind. Sorry if I polarized.

KIVALO 03-08-2012 10:49 PM

I also think that is a natural tendency of group discussion. A mild form of mob mentality as it were. I suppose we're all guilty of it at times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhr1956 (Post 842402)
It's the choosing sides so quickly and drawing swords that makes me wonder. Even when a story about someone losing their boat in a storm appears on these forums, people jump in with genuine comments of good will and well wishes, while others chime in with accusations of incompetency and negligence. A boat sinking isn't really a polarizing topic but somehow it generally results and a long exchange of the same type behavior.