Cruising/sailing with musical instruments... ? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 42 Old 03-08-2012

Re: Cruising/sailing with musical instruments... ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbeard View Post
I guess there isn't room on my boat for the drum kit but I've been thinking about taking the djembe. I have the same concerns about moisture affecting the drum head (it's goat skin) and the drum shell. It's made of thick oak but over time could still be affected. I would nodoubt have to find an isolated anchorage to play it.
I've had the djembe on the boat for 7 years, no problems in the tropics. Set it out in the sun once in awhile to dry things out. Have a nice spot by the mast (inside) that the drum tucks into nicely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 Old 03-08-2012

On Lake Michigan, there's no worry with salt (or sharks!).

I bring along my guitar. Either the Fender Stratocaster or a full-size acoustic. Our boat's a 31 foot Catalina.

If I bring along the Stratocaster, I also bring along a very small practice amp.

The guitar shares the v-berth with me (my wife gets the aft berth cuz she's...well, she's kinda noisy when she sleeps).

So, a guitar, two Siamese cats, a litter box, the usual travel bags and we're good to go.
post #13 of 42 Old 03-09-2012

I always have a uke with me on the boat, although those that been subjected to my playing probably wish that I would wait until I'm singlehanding outside the 3 mile limit! I also have a Washburn Rover traveling guitar that some of my friends play when they're aboard.

When my kids were little I used to bring a bugle along for those early morning wake-ups. ;^)

Bill Sullivan
----------------
Allied Seawind 30
Bristol 24
Old Saybrook, CT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 42 Old 03-09-2012

I'll second the djembe suggestion. Doesn't have to be a big one. Also the egg shaker or a cabasa.

But, as far as a bomb proof melody instrument, look at an Irish whistle (sometimes called a penny whistle). Good ones are made of brass. Sometimes aluminum. Cheap ones out of tin can be had for 10 bucks or so. Great nautical tradition with these instruments and nothing is more beautiful on a foggy mooring than an Irish air floating on the air. PM me if you need more info.
meuritt likes this.
post #15 of 42 Old 03-09-2012

oh.... and as for guitars on board, the solution is garage sales. Find one for 20 bucks and throw it away if you ruin it..... but you probably won't for quite awhile. With little invested, you won't worry about it. No case, just throw it in the back of the wet locker! Rusty strings .... oh well. (gut strings on a classical guitar anyone?)
post #16 of 42 Old 03-09-2012

Rainsong guitars are made completely of carbon fiber and are unaffected by humidity. They sound good too. They make a smaller model.

shortysub
post #17 of 42 Old 03-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree View Post
oh.... and as for guitars on board, the solution is garage sales. Find one for 20 bucks and throw it away if you ruin it..... but you probably won't for quite awhile. With little invested, you won't worry about it. No case, just throw it in the back of the wet locker! Rusty strings .... oh well. (gut strings on a classical guitar anyone?)
I agree. Doesn't have to be a garage sale (don't normally find guitars). When getting ready for a trip last summer, my wife picked up an excellent used, plywood topped (for stability and cheapness), 6 string acoustic guitar for $50 at a music store . It has surprisingly good sound, a very accurate and easy to play neck, and came with brand new strings! We got it for a week long sailing trip, we used a garbage bag for a "case", which didn't take up much space. On an extremely small boat for two people for a week.

I keep it in the open air on a rack at home, easy to pick up and play for a few minutes, and I don't worry about it drying out without a case. Because I don't care much about it. Little investment, lots of fun.

As an aside, I was putting on a roof in Florida once and from my height I saw the garbage truck coming. I looked across the road and saw a guitar leaning against the garbage, about to be picked up and crushed. What would you do? Yeah, and it wasn't a bad classical guitar to drive home with.
post #18 of 42 Old 03-09-2012

Well, I had a Yamaha drreadnought which was far too big. I gave it away to a friend for the price of new strings.

I bought a [I]Parkwood[I] by CORT - parlour size - which fits into 'fiddle storage' above front bunks.

I found that if you keep using it, the strings dont rust where you play.

Anyway, for me, the guitar is just for personal use.

post #19 of 42 Old 03-09-2012
GreatKetch33

Cruising/sailing with musical instruments... ?

Well, I guess I'll have to forget about my 4 valve contra tuba. I spent all winter making a harness so I can strap the instrument into the dingy. Also had the bell made so it screws on and off to save space. The nice thing about the tuba is the pipe is wide enough to use as storage.

I think a Bosun whistle may make the most sense. Although a plastic uke may be okay.

Still thinking about ideas. I won't consider the Oboe. If ya want to be a good musician ya have to know your bass from your oboe.
post #20 of 42 Old 03-09-2012

Im thinking of getting me one of these: pbone UK :: Warwick Music Limited - Welcome

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.