SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Cruising/sailing with musical instruments... ? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/84764-cruising-sailing-musical-instruments.html)

chrisncate 03-08-2012 10:17 PM

Cruising/sailing with musical instruments... ?

BostonSailor 03-08-2012 10:29 PM

Harmonica could be great!

travlineasy 03-08-2012 10:30 PM

Re: Cruising/sailing with musical instruments... ?

Chris,

The major problem is finding a safe, secure location to store the equipment. In my case, I'll be hauling an arranger keyboard, stand, console, seat, amp and a cart to transport the gear up the dock to the venue where I'll be performing. The equipment will likely fill half of the quarter-berth, but that's the least of the problem.

Salt air and moisture is deadly for most musical equipment, especially acoustic guitars. The only protection is the cases the gear is stored in, and of course if they are made of laminated wood, a good coating of highly polished wax should be applied after each use. My keyboard case is not air tight, which is the way it should be, but most guitar cases, especially hard cases, can be utilized to store a guitar in relative safety. The electronic gear, which is what all of my equipment consists of, is very susceptible to the marine environment and every possible precaution must be taken to prevent its untimely demise.

Gary :cool:

RichH 03-08-2012 10:39 PM

5 string clawhammer banjo ... using Nylgut strings that dont corrode in salt air as does 'wire'.
Wife always takes her fiddle.

Plenty of jammin' when travelling if youre looking for some.

Bagpipe chanter .... I dont 'really' play the bagpipe but it helps when someone anchors on top of me ... temporarily anchors on top of me until I start 'practicing'. Better than a Honda generator to chase away too close anchorers. :-o

For any instrument simply spray "Boeshield" on any component that will corrode in salt air.
Take the Guitar!!!!!

BostonSailor 03-08-2012 10:47 PM

Taylor makes an awesome "travel guitar" which is nicer than my own real guitar !

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/series/baby-taylor

travlineasy 03-08-2012 10:53 PM

Chris,

All my gear is in heavy-duty, padded, insulated, canvas cases. It will all be going on the boat with me October 1st. The beauty of an arranger keyboard is you have every instrument in the world in the keyboard and they really sound great. Essentially, with an arranger keyboard you are a one-man-orchestra. Here's a recording of one of the songs I recently performed. It was recorded during the performance, so it is unedited, therefore you get to hear my mistakes as well.

Gary :cool:

Wonderful Tonight.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Sublime 03-08-2012 11:03 PM

Ovation guitars will probably weather better than regular guitars. Still, the neck is made of wood and can warp. If you keep it in a quality case, humidity changes will be more gradual and help the guitar last longer.

If guitar is something you really want to play, get a cheap one. There's some brands out there that play relatively well and they're not solid wood so they're a bit more stable as far as warping goes. Let a good luthier run their hands over it to get the action right since a lot of the cheap guitars have five ft high action that's murder on the fingers. The one I use charges $40 to set one up right.

About the only thing I can think of that would be "marine proof" would be one of those plastic recorders. Who wants to play that though?

A banjo could last a bit, depending on what type of metal it's made of. You know metals and salt water don't usually mix. I have a banjo. It can be difficult to find music.

Learn to read music if you're playing flute/piccolo. Much more music will be available to you.

chrisncate 03-08-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sublime (Post 842416)

Learn to read music if you're playing flute/piccolo. Much more music will be available to you.

It's on my list of stuff I plan to do while cruising and living aboard...

aeventyr60 03-08-2012 11:16 PM

African Drum

Ukulele

Tamborine

Majorocas

drumsticks

Egg shakers

Spoons.

The more we drink, the better we sound...

silverbeard 03-08-2012 11:40 PM

I guess there isn't room on my boat for the drum kit but I've been thinking about taking the djembe. I have the same concerns about moisture affecting the drum head (it's goat skin) and the drum shell. It's made of thick oak but over time could still be affected. I would nodoubt have to find an isolated anchorage to play it.