Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2012
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Re: L. Francis Herreshoff - boat designer... and guns

If you go back even further in American history, citizens were required to have guns and to carry them with them while outside the settlement. Just another historical fact.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
If you go back even further in American history, citizens were required to have guns and to carry them with them while outside the settlement. Just another historical fact.
And it was perfectly legal for a husband to beat his wife and kids as much as he pleased. Things DO change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
You bet. The USA was built on them.
And it was also built on slavery and indentured servitude.

Time to look around folks; this is the 21st Century, NOT the 18th.
SloopJonB likes this.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 03-11-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-11-2012
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Time to look around folks; this is the 21st Century, NOT the 18th.
Yeah. You would think someone would have come up with a reliable marine head by now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-11-2012

cupper3 is on a distinguished road

I am another one of those who in the '60's would bring a .22 to school, and we were a suburb of a major city here in Canada.

Teachers would tell us to make sure they were locked in our lockers, and then wished us good luck and be careful when we went gopher hunting after school. No one thought twice about it, and we were in grade 6 and 7.

The RCMP would stop by every now and then, ask how things were doing, and remind us not to shoot towards the highway that was right beside the field we were in.

Times sure have changed. We knew gun control as knowing where and where not to point the barrel, loaded or not loaded, and yes, we were kids.

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Old 03-11-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
Yeah. You would think someone would have come up with a reliable marine head by now.
Oh sure, NOW ya' want a miracle!!!
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 03-11-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyspins View Post
yes things have changed! Growing up (I was born in '66) no self-respecting guy went anywhere without a pocket knife - and we all learned how to shoot a 22- to start with.

BTW, I've been looking for a copy of that (or other) Francis Herreshoff book as he designed the boat I'm in the process of buying - and he was quite dogmatic with all his opinions. As a woman, I would have to beg to differ with many of those opinions. However, I get where he's coming from- a different age and a different America -and I still enjoy the reading. I've seen a quote several times - something to the effect that if you changed the design of his H-28 one tiny bit, then the birds would not continue to sing over the companionway - or something to that effect. Too sad, as I have a flushing head and no cedar bucket on board!

Still love the boat, though, even if it is made of "frozen snot" not wood.

amy
That sounds like an interesting boat. The photos I've seen of boats built to his design show low, lean, graceful boats that look fast and very attractive. He seems to be practical above all, I'll bet today he'd really like fiberglass. I know I do, and I was raised on wooden boats.

I didn't notice that quote, but he does have strong opinions and seemed to like his H-28 the best overall.

It's a library book, can't send it to you.
Old 03-12-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyspins View Post
I've seen a quote several times - something to the effect that if you changed the design of his H-28 one tiny bit, then the birds would not continue to sing over the companionway - or something to that effect. Too sad, as I have a flushing head and no cedar bucket on board!
amy
Amy, it's at the beginning of the same chapter as the gun in the cabin. He has already explained the advantage of the outside ballast over inside ballast, which makes the difference between safe groundings and breaking up, and between a clean bilge and a smelly mess. He also specifies bent ribs, not sawn (much greater strength), and wire shrouds and stays, not rope fiber (deadeyes, at least I think that is what deadeyes means, a bit before my time).

"If the H-28's design is only slightly changed, the whole balance may" (note the word 'may', less dogmatic than usual) "be thrown out. If you equip her with deadeyes, build her with sawn frames, or fill her virgin bilge with ballast, the birds will no longer carol over her, nor will the odors arising from the cabin make poetry, nor will you soul be fortified against a world of warlords, politicians, and fakers."

So, I think you will be fine. I'm sure he'd approve of fiberglass, he is always concerned with the least expensive and most efficient way to build, and he specified wood that resisted rotting (fiberglass is the best 'wood' for bending and rot resistance). No cedar bucket, well, that's just in with removable add ons really. He also mentions "As for the proportions of beam and draft, we cannot suit all unless we design a rubber boat." So I think he'd be 'flexible' even there.
Old 03-12-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

AmySpins seems to at least be aware of LFH's famous quotes. Would he like fibreglass ? Well he most certainly did not at first acquaintance.

"It looks like frozen snot".
-L. Francis Herreshoff, looking at a Herreshoff Bullseye built of fiberglass.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 03-12-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-12-2012

dnf777 is on a distinguished road

Interesting post. Thanks. And yes, times sure have changed...for the better, and the worse. Just glad to still be a part of them!
Old 03-12-2012

redfishnc is on a distinguished road

I would think the matching gun to the H28 would be a Winchester Model 12 pump gun. 12 gauge of course.