Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By SlowButSteady
  • 1 Post By Faster
  • 1 Post By Roxy405

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road
help flying junior

I would like some help to figure out what I am doing and parts I need. I have just purchased a 1967 flying junior. made by Southern Ohio sail craft. It is just 13 feet the same length as my sunfish. It is missing the spinnaker cleats? No I do not even know how to sale with a jib. This is why I have purchased this boat for learning. It will be hard help me find all the parts but one of you may have had a boat like this at one time. I am new to sailing and am not near a large body of water, other boats or sailers. So many companies have manufactured this boat and the running rigging is kind of the same but different. If I had a new boat I would not have this problem. If I put all kinds of dents dings and scratches in a new boat I would not be happy. The problem of figuring out what I need is better. The empty holes in the gunwale at the stern are .25 of an inch dia. on 1.25 centers These I was told by the seller were missing spinnaker cleats? He never used it I am a long way off from putting one up but I do not like missing parts. Any Help?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Re: help flying junior

If you don't know how to handle a jib, I wouldn't worry about tackling a spinnaker for a while. Just leave the spinnaker hardware for later and sail the Bejeezus out of it as is. Chances are it will be plenty challenging just learning how to sail wing-on-wing for the time being.
Lou452 likes this.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 03-09-2012
sunfish?junior?

Thanks I agree. I just do not like empty holes and missing hardware. I would think a cleat fast acting could not cost much. Not knowing what should be in that empty space bugs me. If I know what it is I might not care so much. I have been looking hard for 4-5 weeks to try to find out what kind of cleat is OEM. I am hoping to find someone with a 1967 who can send me some pictures. This could take a year of looking or it might not happen. Tally Ho the hunt is on ! Some other stuff to fix the way I want in the mean time.
Old 03-09-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, don't sweat that stuff til you have the basics down.. this link may help you along, lots of info on this class, it's been around a long time.

New Bern High School Naval Junior ROTC Sailing: The First Lessons Are the Hardest.... (really?)
Lou452 likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-10-2012
sunfish?junior?

Looked at New Bren High school site it has some good info. I also have some good books I am reading. The high school might be able to send me a picture of the cleat. We shall see? The club might not be active any more because the school did not list it in the web pages. I still would like to find right type of cleat

Last edited by Lou452; 03-10-2012 at 10:44 PM. Reason: better grammer
Old 03-10-2012

Roxy405 is on a distinguished road

Lou,

If the empty holes are on the gunwale at the stern of the boat (i.e. almost in line with the transom), I would expect they will be for turning blocks not cleats.

I had a quick look on the club flying junior class website & found the following picture:

According to that, the spinnaker turning blocks go 8" off the transom. On your description, I would guess that is what you're missing not a cleat.

I don't know how strict FJs are on rigging layout (obviously this only matters if you want to race). In terms of cleats, you are generally going to want one to hold the guy/windward sheet (same thing on dinghies) in order to pull the pole back for the runs and keep the pole off the forestay on reaches, and also something to hold the guy down at deck level by or slightly in front of the shrouds to keep it out of the way of the crew if he needs to hike or trapeze on a reach.

As for the type of cleat/block you use—it doesn't matter all that much so long as the sheet fits and it can handle the load. If you need ideas, try mooching around Harken's website.
Lou452 likes this.
Old 03-10-2012
sunfish?junior?

Roxy thank you !! I have had more replys and help out of sailnet than clubs. I might be able to race my sunfish and come in dead last. This summer will be learning to use and manage a jib. If that goes good I have a the ultimate challenge of the spinnaker. Now I am learning so much thanks good folks like you and others. I am looking for a block. spinnaker block I will have to find out what that is and looks like. I have been viewing some U tube videos but have not seen a close up of the block. Forgive me if I start using misnomenclature The main sheet and not sure if the jib sheet ran though a (pulley) I think it was the jib sheets because the (Pulley) was on each side near the front of the cockpit and this (pulley) seems to have some sort of brake that I am not understanding as to why the sheet just dose not run back out. Point is am I looking for something like this (Pulley) and is that a block? I have been reading that what the spinnaker sheets are run to, need to be fast acting.
Old 03-10-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

A 'block' is indeed what you might call a pulley.. same thing pretty much. A spinn block would be mounted more or less horizontally (with room to move/swivel) on deck to accommodate the lead angle from the stern to the clew(s) of the sail.

Anyhow learn to sail the boat first, then cobble together what you need for the next step!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-11-2012

Roxy405 is on a distinguished road

Lou,

The spinnaker block/pulley (both words mean basically the same thing, although sailors usually use 'block' for some reason) isn't any particular type of block. You could use something like this or this. So long as the rope will fit in it, you will be fine.

(N.B., those links are to my local chandlery which is UK based—while I think they're great I can quite literally walk there from my house—you'll want to find a chandlery local to you, or one of the US-based online ones. I just give those links as examples.)

Quote:
The main sheet and not sure if the jib sheet ran though a (pulley) I think it was the jib sheets because the (Pulley) was on each side near the front of the cockpit and this (pulley) seems to have some sort of brake that I am not understanding as to why the sheet just dose not run back out. Point is am I looking for something like this (Pulley) and is that a block?
What you're describing sounds like a ratchet block. These are a special kind of block that have a ratchet in them to limit their ability to turn in one direction (they require a 'flick' towards you before they release). The purpose is to take some of the load on the sheet instead of your having to hold it.

Your mainsheet's last block (& last block only) will probably be a ratchet block (if not, I'd think seriously about buying one). The jib blocks might be (these are the blocks on the diagram just next to the end of the dashed line labelled 75" Jib Track - CL of Track. The primary spinnaker blocks also ought to be ratchet blocks—these can be seen on the diagram just below the jib blocks but above the thick black line running horizontally across the boat (at least, I'm pretty sure that's the right, but I've never seen or sailed an FJ).

In terms of cleats, cam cleats are usually the way forward, however side-entry clam cleats are workable alternatives (so long as you mount them the right way for the purpose). Horn cleats are usually to be avoided like the plague on dinghies! (If you don't know what those types of cleat look like, Google Image Search has tons of pictures).

Cam cleats are slightly faster to use, although the cleats you use on the spinnaker don't require rapid adjustment as you only cleat the windward sheet. The leeward sheet is held by the crew via the ratchet block.
Old 03-11-2012
sunfish?junior?

Found the missing part in the first aid kit today. It is not much to look at. It just looks like a c-clip. No cam no rachet block just a clip. I have just one the other is still missing but now that I know how meger it is I can sleep lol. Warm weather and fair wind is on the way. I put the mast for the sunfish in the yard beside the mast for the FJ . The FJ looks almost twice the sunfish. Thanks everyone I will remember your kindness and pay it foward.