SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   kid gets clonked by boom -film - valuable lesson (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/84796-kid-gets-clonked-boom-film-valuable-lesson.html)

dylanwinter1 03-09-2012 03:33 PM

kid gets clonked by boom -film - valuable lesson

what does this film prove

it proves the world is divided into two sorts of sailors

those who think forcing kids to wear helmets in boats is the height of folly

the kid learned nothing and will never learn to duck - one day he will get hit so hard by a yacht boom be thrown overboard and die

the second group think the film shows that helmets should always be worn by kids trying to have fun in small boats

aaaaagh!

KIVALO 03-09-2012 03:52 PM

Re: kid gets clonked by boom -film - valuable lesson

I don't know what it proves but I laughed my A$$ off after watching it! HAHA!

timangiel 03-09-2012 04:08 PM

I would say it was a very smart move to put a helmet on that kid. He seemed to be ok afterwards. Had he not been wearing it, that would have left a mark for sure.

dylanwinter1 03-09-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timangiel (Post 842834)
I would say it was a very smart move to put a helmet on that kid. He seemed to be ok afterwards. Had he not been wearing it, that would have left a mark for sure.

ah.... yes....but....

how many times will he vae to get clonked before he learns

it is my guess that he has been clonked lots of times

in my book the odd gentle clonk means that you leant to duck when it is really important

I hate seeing kids wearing them

but I went to the school of hard nocks

Dylan

and yes I laughed too. I am a very, very bad man

bljones 03-09-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dylanwinter1 (Post 842837)

it is my guess that he has been clonked lots of times

Which may be why he is now wearing a helmet.

Captainmeme 03-09-2012 04:55 PM

If the PC police used a time machine to see my brother and I do stuff on the hills of San Francisco our parents would still be in jail. How about flying down concrete sidewalks jumping off wooden ramps on our flexy racer with no helmets, gloves or shin guards. Or sliding down grass covered hills in cardboard boxes and stopping a feet feet from a busy street? Life on the edge and we all made it into adulthood.

brak 03-09-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainmeme (Post 842869)
Life on the edge and we all made it into adulthood.

That's what you call "survivor bias". let me look it up for you: Quite a few did *not* make it into adulthood, but they don't get to come to forums and talk about it.

KIVALO 03-09-2012 06:18 PM

Consider how many people sailed as a kid without a helmet. Now consider how many were seriously injured or killed from being hit with a boom. Personally, I'll take those risks. Just my opinion.

Brad
s/v KIVALO

Quote:

Originally Posted by brak (Post 842911)
That's what you call "survivor bias". let me look it up for you: Survivorship bias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quite a few did *not* make it into adulthood, but they don't get to come to forums and talk about it.

Sublime 03-09-2012 06:23 PM

It looks like he ducked that second time!

Tbrad 03-09-2012 07:31 PM

I think that we should all have to wear helmets when we ride or drive an automobile. Just think how many lives that would save!! (just stirring the pc cauldron)