Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2012
Mark on Camper 58

NICHOLSON58 is on a distinguished road
Re: How much more blood can they suck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
We pay about $6 per gal now ($1.50 / liter). My comment was in jest because, as a sailor, I use so little fuel each year - a few cents a gallon won't destroy my personal budget when I only use a few 10's of gallons of fuel.

Don't know where you got the idea I said that. Now that you bring it up though..... Maybe if they just raised the tax on fuel for Jet Skis and boats over 100'?
This is a taxing authority's favorite tacktic. Divide and stick it to 'em. In Cleveland, the issue of a new sports complex was put before the voters on several occasions & always rejected. The big spenders raised targeted taxes on groups too small to have a loud enough voice to be heard, built the stadiums anyway, gave the concession to private owners and convinced the voters it didn't cost them anything. As long as 90% think the tax is paid by somebody named, 'not me' they tend to keep quiet. The problem is that it is YOU tomorrow. "We must hang together or we will surely hang seperately" (might have been Ben Franklin)

BTW - if they are successful at taxing assets, what is to stop them from taxing the year end value of your car, house, land, portfolio? Wait until they succeed in raising capital gains taxes and discover they just taxed their own retirement incomes. If taxation is not totally fair for everyone the assests will leave the country, just like the boats.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHOLSON58 View Post
You would love, "The Mouse That Roared" It is a book made into a movie. Ironinc comedy.
Thanks for the information. Just ordered the DVD, which should arrive in the next week or so.

Thanks again,

Gary
Old 03-11-2012
Mark on Camper 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Thanks for the information. Just ordered the DVD, which should arrive in the next week or so.

Thanks again,

Gary
Hope you enjoy. I haven't seen it in years. Sellers is fun. I may rent it.
Old 03-11-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHOLSON58 View Post
BTW - if they are successful at taxing assets, what is to stop them from taxing the year end value of your car, house, land, portfolio? Wait until they succeed in raising capital gains taxes and discover they just taxed their own retirement incomes. If taxation is not totally fair for everyone the assets will leave the country, just like the boats.
Nothing will stop them! My dearly departed friend and talk-show host Ron Smith said "If your individual vote really counted, they wouldn't let you do it!" Ron was a pretty smart guy.

Unfortunately, The People's Republic of Maryland is about 80-percent, registered democratic voters. Consequently, when it comes down to election time, it's very rare to NOT keep the old school politicians in office. They sincerely believe that if they pay more they will get more, which in the history of the world, has never been the case. Yep, we have to take money from those rich folks and give it to the poor folks--that will make everything right.

One problem, though. The richest folks in Maryland tend to be registered, card-carrying, democrat politicians. They tell us "We feel your pain!" Ain't it amazin' how the folks that tell everyone that they are on the side of the average blue collar worker, fighting for the rights of the poor, all seem to have incomes of over $1-million annually. Funny thing about that. And, do you think that for one minute they will give up a single penny of their ill-gotten gains? Not a prayer!

Yep, palm trees, sugar colored sand, gin clear water and warm temperatures just seem to look a lot more appetizing these days.

Gary
Old 03-11-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post

Then when you come home, you realize how wacko the environmentalists are in the U.S. I'm all for keeping the environment healthy and beautiful. But I can't understand why our self-serve gas pump handles have that piece sawed off [b]so we have to stand there manually cutting off the gas,[/i] instead of using the automatic cut-offs like the full-serve pumps have.
Geez, no wonder the rest of the world sees us as a bunch of crybabies... Here we are, paying a fraction of what most of the industrialized/developed nations of the world pay for their gasoline, yet we're still whining about having to stand there, and actually hold the nozzle while we dump 40 more gallons into our SUVs? (grin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
The environmental movement is NOT just about the envorinment. It's about control. And it's likely well funded by our manufacturing competition in other countries.
I'm guessing "likely" might be the operative word, there - and that such funding represents a relatively small percentage of overall funding...

On the other hand, when WE employ similar tactics - as in the following examples with our neighbors to the North - it's all good, and just another example of the beauty of an unfettered Free Market at work:

Quote:

Who Funds Environmentalists ..... and Why?

In various environmental campaigns in Canada, American economic and trade interests are being protected. For example, the campaign against oil tanker traffic on the north coast of British Columbia would landlock Canadian oil and continue the virtual monopoly that the U.S. has on our oil exports - all in the name of protecting the environment. No oil tanker traffic means no oil exports to Asia. The "antifarming campaign" against B.C. farmed salmon sways market share towards "wild" salmon, most of which is Alaskan.

According to my preliminary calculations, since 2000 USA foundations have poured $300 million into the environmental movement in Canada...

Rethink Campaigns
Old 03-11-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
....... I am not sure I totally sure I subscribe to the theory that the 30-40 percent on each side are dumb blind sheep and vote the party lineno matter what......
If you re-read what I wrote, you will see that you dramatized it for some reason. It's just a statistical fact, not a label.

Quote:
Not really accurate. Mid term elections are usually corrective in nature to the party that is in power.
It was historically unprecedented. You can't ignore the message. Sure, they'll give some back, but never before was there such a trouncing.

Quote:
Back to original thread the Maryland luxury tax...
Thanks, but no thanks. I worked on my boat all day. These silly arguments are for the dead of winter. I'm going sailing.

Over and out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-11-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
O'Malley was on Meet The Press this morning, bragging how Democratic Maryland has created new jobs at four times the rate of Republican Virginia. What he failed to mention is that nearly all the jobs created in Maryland were government jobs, and now he's trying to find the money to pay for them by taxing everything.
Hmmm, I thought that one sounded a bit "mythological"... (grin)

This, from the WASHINGTON EXAMINER, no less...

Quote:

Maryland outpaces Virginia in job growth

Maryland created eight times more private-sector jobs than Virginia last year, throwing a wrench into Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell's theory that his Republican-controlled state is friendlier to business than his Democratic rival to the north, Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley.

Maryland created 26,700 jobs from January 2011 through November 2011, or roughly one job for every eight unemployed residents, whereas the commonwealth created 10,900 jobs, or one job for every 25 unemployed Virginians, according to the most recent data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Nearly all of Maryland's new jobs were in the private sector. By contrast, 70 percent of Virginia's new jobs were in the public sector, including the state, local and federal governments.

Maryland outpaces Virginia in job growth | Washington Examiner
blowinstink and chrisncate like this.
Old 03-11-2012

peterhurcos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Meh, I see no problem. The Bush tax cuts of twelve years ago and all that wealth that has been saved by the upper income folks since then ought to more than make up for the tax hit here.

The wealthy are still coming out ahead of the game, and the wealth transfer from the lower and middle classes upwards to the wealthy will no doubt continue on...
To those who want to leave Maryland and its overbearing bureaucrats, I have a suggestion: Somalia. Beautiful waters, no pettifogging bureaucrats to cramp your style, really, a Libertarian paradise. Number two on my list of bureaucrat-free waters would be Gaza.

Truth is, private boaters consume a considerable amount of government. All those environmental requirements that people complain about? We are the prime beneficiaries of that. Marinas can be crime magnets if not assiduously patrolled. That's just the state side of it. We all know what the feds do for us, from gps on down.
chrisncate likes this.
Old 03-11-2012
Mark on Camper 58

[QUOTE=JonEisberg;844045]Geez, no wonder the rest of the world sees us as a bunch of crybabies... Here we are, paying a fraction of what most of the industrialized/developed nations of the world pay for their gasoline, yet we're still whining about having to stand there, and actually hold the nozzle while we dump 40 more gallons into our SUVs? (grin)

I'm guessing "likely" might be the operative word, there - and that such funding represents a relatively small percentage of overall funding...

The reason the rest of the world pays so much for gas is that their government taxes the heck out of it. This is to discourage its use. Drive around most of the rest of the world and you will find very few private boats of any size, mobile homes, campers, jet skis, snowmobiles and nowbody would consider driving 2000 miles to see the Grand Canyon. Do you want to pack your three kids in a Mini Cooper and drive across country? That is another difference. Our distances ar vast by comparison and it takes a road cruiser to do it. Do you really think its OK for the Fed to double or tripple the cost of gas. We know the spin off from targeted taxes is reduced consumption of the item. Do you propopse cratering all of the industry that depends on our mobility? I'm sure the government knows better what to do with my money than I.

The government should be creating rational POLICY, not mandating what you can own and what can be produced and what you can consume. Policy says the fleet fuel average is some non-moving target. (CAFE for example) The current administration would like to require you to drive an electric skateboard. What is lost is that it costs more in fuel consumption to produce that EV than it will ever save in its lifetime and will leave a toxic mess to re-process when it dies. It also will not haul your boat down the road. Do you really think the government is better at choosing technology; picking winners and loosers; or would free market pressures be a better choice?

Government should not subsidize or penalize any business.
travlineasy likes this.
Old 03-12-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHOLSON58
You would love, "The Mouse That Roared" It is a book made into a movie. Ironinc comedy.
Quote:
Thanks for the information. Just ordered the DVD, which should arrive in the next week or so. Thanks again, Gary
I can't find the "My nose is out of joint" emoticon - can anybody tell me where it is?

Perhaps I'll find it in post #92

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.