Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2012

rugosa is on a distinguished road
Re: How much more blood can they suck?

Those Ba$tard$
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugosa View Post
Those Ba$tard$
I call that admirably succinct.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-10-2012
Senior Moment Member

As most of you are probably aware, I am in favour of sliding scale tax systems that distribute the pain of taxation more fairly. Simply put, those who have a LOT more should pay more because it matters less to them - what they have left is still more than what most ever have.

Having said that, setting the bar requires a lot more thought than these Maryland pols seem to have put into it. A family that allocates their entertainment and vacation money to a 30' sailboat ain't rich.

If they want to put a luxury tax on 100 footers, G5's, 12,000 sq. ft. houses, cars over $100 or $200K and so forth, that's one thing but taxing ordinary peoples choices as if they are super rich is just plain ignorance of reality.

Keeping a riding horse costs as much as a 30 footer but I'll bet the horse owner is a lot more likely to get some kind of "farmer" tax deduction than a luxury tax added.
chef2sail and wingNwing like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-10-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

And hopefully it is now abundantly clear that there aren't enough G-5 owners to fee enough to pay the State's dificit tab. Therefore, they are coming for you. When you aren't enough either, they will move down another rung.

Study history, it's happened over and over and over, until no more.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-10-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

The levying of taxes is based on one basic principle .... who will squeal the least (or has the least votes).

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 03-10-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

One can only imagine what this tax will look like a decade from now. What? You didn't think this tax was gonna' remain at the same rate and get lower as time went on, did you? You can bet your last dollar that when O'Malley sets up his department of Boating Assessment that for the first time in world history, the value of a boat will actually increase with age. And, when the boat really gets old and decrepit the assessors will declare it an antique, jack the assessed value out of sight. "Yes sir, you have a very, valuable antique there. They haven't made a Hunter 28.5 in years--this thing is really valuable."

Cheers,

Gary
Old 03-10-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Sometimes it seems like the only thing they fund with permits and taxes are the people who issue the permits and enforce the taxes. It's just another way to put more people on the federal payroll with busy work at your expense. It's done because they tend to vote one way -- for more and bigger government.

So have we reached the tipping point yet? Do most voters either get entitlement checks or work for a useless government department? I guess the next election will tell us.

For the life of me I can't understand how a Ron Paul is not cleaning up in the primaries. He is the only one saying to drastically reduce the size of government. And he has the track record & has lived through the redicule to undeniably prove that he'll do what he says. All the other polls don't even reach his knees on this one, even when they aren't flip-flopping to fill their own pockets.

Regards,
Brad

P.S. I know a people that will vote for Ron Paul if he runs as an independent. The attitude seems to be "Screw the other slimy bastards, no matter which party they are in." Some days that seems about right.
. .
. .

Last edited by Bene505; 03-10-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-10-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
And hopefully it is now abundantly clear that there aren't enough G-5 owners to fee enough to pay the State's deficit tab.
Apparently you haven't been to airport south in Vancouver recently. I remember back when the sight of a Lear jet was was a rare and memorable experience. Now they are considered entry level and those who once aspired to one now aspire to a private 737.

Go to the local "light aircraft" field and take a look - the amount of money sitting there will stagger you. Remember, they START at $multi-millions, even used and take $Thousands/Hr to operate. Jets also require high priced crew since few owners can allocate the time to maintain competence to fly themselves.

Old 03-10-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
For the life of me I can't understand how a Ron Paul is not cleaning up in the primaries.
Votes are based on what you promise to give, not on what you promise to take away. Until the cost of government finally exceeds what people will pay for it, it will only go on as is.

Most people vote "on the moment", and then expect politicians to act for the long term, which is counter-productive to their continued electability.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 03-10-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough

oooooooh nooooooooo Bene,
.... you dont really mean that drastic tax increases is mostly to get elected/reelected do you? .

If government became efficient, didnt engage in waste and corruption, eliminated/prohibited lobbyists, reduced its drones, etc. etc. etc., there probably wouldnt be many of the entitled and corrupted voting for them, would there?
When nearly half of the population is DEPENDENT on the government for their 'incomes' it shouldnt surprise anyone of the 'election results' should it?