Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012
Administrator

administrator has disabled reputation
How much more blood can they suck?

Maryland weighs adding luxury tax on boats

Maryland lawmakers are considering a bill that would impose a 1 percent "luxury surcharge" on certain items, including boats costing more than $35,000.

The bill also would tax cars, motorcycles and planes costing more than that amount.

The tax on motor vehicles, boats, and airplanes sold for a taxable price of more than $90,000 would be $550, plus 2 percent of the amount above $90,000.

The bill, which would impose a luxury tax on most retail sales of items valued above $5,000, was introduced last month in the House of Delegates. It was referred to the Rules and Executive Nominations Committee.

If passed, the bill will take effect July 1.

According to a petition against the proposal on Change.org, the bill would “effectively force boaters and would-be buyers of boats to seek another venue in which to enjoy, keep and purchase their boats to avoid these surcharges.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: How much more blood can they suck?

Guess there's a new KY Jelly type for all of us filthy rich boaters in Maryland. Bend over, Governor O'Mally is gonna' stick it to us again. Delaware and Florida are looking better every day.

Just thought of something. Anyone want to take bets on O'Mally putting together a Bureau Of Assessment and Taxation for boats and cars? This would be another gang of thieves similar to the gang that Maryland sends out every couple years to assess your real-estate--the same bunch that tells you that your property has increased my 30 percent in value, when throughout the state and nation the real-estate market has fallen 40 percent in the past 3 years. "Yep, according to our assessment, your boat is worth twice as much as when you purchased it, sir, therefore you must pay us twice as much tax. Oh, you wish to file an appeal? No sir, we don't have that luxury with boaters--you just have to pay or we take your boat." Sound familiar?

Gary

Last edited by travlineasy; 03-09-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-09-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Look on the bright side.

It would be great for Virginia's marinas some that have been feeling the effects of the poor economy.
Old 03-09-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Those darn 1%'s need to pay their "fair" share.

If you can afford to buy a boat, you can afford to support a large government bureaucracy, pension benefits for government employees and union members that no one in the private sector receives, and incentives for all to act irresponsibly at the taxpayers' expense.
Old 03-09-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Uh-oh. Here in FL, I just learned that registration fees for our boat, > 30 years old, (but according to our most recent survey, worth >$35,000) will be $10, because it's a "classic" over 30 years old. We no longer have to live in MD for our jobs ... so we're considering leaving the state. If we relocate to FL, then MD loses not only the inflated costs of our registration fees, but also our income taxes? Unintended consequences, anyone?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 03-09-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
... so we're considering leaving the state. If we relocate to FL, then MD loses not only the inflated costs of our registration fees, but also our income taxes? Unintended consequences, anyone?
Not before I get my hot sauce, please. Or there will be "unintended consequences."
wingNwing likes this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-09-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road

Congress is never short on ideas for new taxation, only short on ideas to cut spending. When the people finally do decide they've had enough, Congress is in for a very rude awakening.

Brad
s/v KIVALO
sawingknots likes this.
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 03-09-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIVALO View Post
Congress is never short on ideas for new taxation, only short on ideas to cut spending. When the people finally do decide they've had enough, Congress is in for a very rude awakening.

Brad
s/v KIVALO
What does congress have to do with maryland? Now the maryland house/congress equal......complain against it.......

WIth that in mind.......takes me back to the Regan era....When a luxury tax was added to many items by him and the federal congress. Proceeded to pretty much ruin the boat building industry among other things within the USA at the time. We have probably what, 1/4 of the boat builders that we have now?!?! I am sure the tax had something to do with it, along with a recession that occurred about then....... These types of taxes are not always the best option.

marty
Old 03-09-2012

Oneofthesedays is on a distinguished road

Some folks outside of Maryland might not think much of this news. But, the Governor of Maryland, one Mr. Martin O' Malley (aka Mr. never met a tax I didn't like or wouldn't increase) has his eyes set on the White House and by some accounts is being groomed as the Democratic nominee for 2016.
Old 03-09-2012

sawingknots is on a distinguished road

ya jest cant break a dawg that sucks eggs,either ya got to get rid of the eggs or the dawg,i'm leaning toward the dawg
lynxcat319, CapnBilll and eherlihy like this.