Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2012
A New Adventurer

funjohnson is on a distinguished road
Re: S/V East Coast Lady Shows her Bottom

Sabre did that as well with their boats until the 90s. I just worry about something sliding across the port side and ripping the prop off.
Old 03-11-2012
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

Thats good to know. It is Port. I was facing the engine in my thoughts. Sorry,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2012

Kiltmadoc is on a distinguished road

As an owner of a C&C 32, might i recommend some "putting it in reverse" practice in the mooring field. My boat partner and I have both noticed a decided tendency of the C&C to rapidly turn when she is put in reverse , due to the offset prop. Everything calms down after about 90 seconds of reverse, but it's good to practice backing up to your mooring ball repeatedly before trying for a slip.

Also, the C&C photo album website has an email thread that you can sign up for that has been full of extremely good advice. Have fun with your new "free" C&C!!!!
ltgoshen likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiltmadoc For This Useful Post:
OPossumTX (01-31-2014)
Old 03-12-2012
First String

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltmadoc View Post

Also, the C&C photo album website has an email thread that you can sign up for that has been full of extremely good advice. Have fun with your new "free" C&C!!!!
To the first part, your right I need a lot of time learning the operational behavior of the Off-Set prop shaft and prop wash in general. it was my first time with this boat. It was also my first time in 30 years with a large Sailboat. I needed to get her out for a bottom job and the tide was in my favor with this full-moon. So I went for it. Not sure the folding prop gives good thrust, and did you see that bottom? Hahahah, I would not much thrust with any prop with that kind of beard.

And as for the C&C photo Album. Not real impressed with that. I have found this site much more knowledgeable on things related to sailing. Not many photos for an album? I am signed up and with the up to 30 foot area. Like 10 or 15 post in 2 years? Maybe I am not doing something right? Not sure how to post photos over there. But Thanks I will keep checking back to see if more people start using the C&C site. I signed up my vessel and information back in December still can’t find it?
Thanks’ again for your help guys.
I talked to the marina and here are the charges.
Haul-out bottom cleaning and 2 coat paint job with shaft zinc. $1,450.00
New Waterline stripes $ 600.00
Deep clean, buff and polish “gel-cot” $12. pr foot $ 540.00
Stuffing box repack with new boot? Not sure yet $ 350.00 Total $ 2,940.00 Am I being over charged?
Old 03-12-2012
1973 Viking 33

SloopDogg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
To the first part, your right I need a lot of time learning the operational behavior of the Off-Set prop shaft and prop wash in general. it was my first time with this boat. It was also my first time in 30 years with a large Sailboat. I needed to get her out for a bottom job and the tide was in my favor with this full-moon. So I went for it. Not sure the folding prop gives good thrust, and did you see that bottom? Hahahah, I would not much thrust with any prop with that kind of beard.

And as for the C&C photo Album. Not real impressed with that. I have found this site much more knowledgeable on things related to sailing. Not many photos for an album? I am signed up and with the up to 30 foot area. Like 10 or 15 post in 2 years? Maybe I am not doing something right? Not sure how to post photos over there. But Thanks I will keep checking back to see if more people start using the C&C site. I signed up my vessel and information back in December still can’t find it?
Thanks’ again for your help guys.
Stuffing box repack with new boot? Not sure yet $ 350.00 Total $ 2,940.00 Am I being over charged?
I love when people share the prices they pay.

Here are some prices off my yards website:

Tape and paint bottom
All Outboards $8.30/ft
Inboards
18ft - 37ft $10.00/ft
38ft - up $11.75/ft

Buff and wax
Up to 27 ft. $11.50/ft
28 ft to 32 ft $16.25/ft
33 ft and up $23.00/ft

Plus last year they got $85/hour for labor. That is not that bad really, especially when you consider you have recourse if it isn't right.

I think you're getting better prices than that!

Last edited by SloopDogg; 03-12-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-12-2012

Kiltmadoc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
....And as for the C&C photo Album. Not real impressed with that. I have found this site much more knowledgeable on things related to sailing..... But Thanks I will keep checking back to see if more people start using the C&C site.

to clarify: C&C photo album is not about photos. It's about keeping track of all things C&C. There is an email thread you can sign up for that has led to invaluable help for C&C specific questions I have had. For example: I have an OLD autohelm ST4000+ autopilot and one of my fellow subscribers was able to hook me up with a new control head (no longer made or supported). This saved me $1500. Look for "email discussion list" and hit the button marked "subscribe"

As for your yard charges:
1. have them strip the bottom for you and do the rest yourself on a warm weekend with a roller brush for the bottom paint. Practical Sailor magazine just rated some paints at (40?) months and some surprisingly cheap bottom paints made it into the top 5 at around $100/gallon. Plus, practical sailor, if i recall correctly, recommends being OCD about prep work and primer paint. Not something the yard will give two hoots about.
2. Boot stripe: do it yourself
3. Stuffing box: materials about $20, time about 2 hours. Tools: plumbing wrench x2, dental pick from harbor freight tools.
4. Gel coat: harbor freight tools periodically sells a random orbit buffer/polisher for $20. 3M makes the buffer/polisher for $40-60 per container. With a ladder and an extension cord (and another weekend day), you can do it yourself. Or, do like we did: screw the gel coat, it just gets all chalky again in about 1 week on the water anyway.
Old 03-12-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Having work done by a boatyard is expensive, your quote does not seem out of line. Most of the jobs listed I would consider pretty standard DIY fare, except the stuffing box replacement - I personally would have the yard do that.

Before you paint your boottop you should try cleaning it per Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax

You can try compounding but probably need to start with wetsanding. I think most boottops should be savable... if the boottop hazes up again before the end of next season, then paint, but even this is also a standard DIY job.
Old 03-12-2012
First String

I have no place to work on it? They will not let me do work in their yard? Insuraance.
Being new at this they are nearly thru with the stuffing box. It needed rebuilt. The bolt holding the shaft to the collar broke off. they had to tap it out. they pulled the shaft and put the new rubber boot on the shaft with a new stuffing box cord.
Old 03-12-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like they're treating you alright.. next time you might try look for a yard that allows DIY though.... esp a simple bottom paint job...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-12-2012
First String

I have so much to learn. Thanks for all yalls help.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.