SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Bilge Cleaner and Keel Bolts (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/84867-bilge-cleaner-keel-bolts.html)

flyingjib 03-11-2012 11:43 AM

Bilge Cleaner and Keel Bolts

Hello Gurus,
I'm suffering from a smelly and slimy bilge in my C&C 30. Looking for an easy way out, I bought an eco-friendly bilge cleaner from West Marine thinking that I would pure some in and let it soak for a while but I'm a bit concerned about my Keel Bolts. The SS keel bolts are still shiny and spotless even after 34 years and I don't want to pure something in the bilge that could possibly have corrosive effects. Am I worrying too much or should I just bite the bullet and start brushing away with some fresh water and Dawn for a few hours?

Thanks as always,
Aaron

SloopJonB 03-11-2012 05:35 PM

Re: Bilge Cleaner and Keel Bolts

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyingjib (Post 843788)
Hello Gurus,
I'm suffering from a smelly and slimy bilge in my C&C 30. Looking for an easy way out, I bought an eco-friendly bilge cleaner from West Marine thinking that I would pure some in and let it soak for a while but I'm a bit concerned about my Keel Bolts. The SS keel bolts are still shiny and spotless even after 34 years and I don't want to pure something in the bilge that could possibly have corrosive effects. Am I worrying too much or should I just bite the bullet and start brushing away with some fresh water and Dawn for a few hours?

Thanks as always,
Aaron

AFAIK, just don't use anything with chlorine - S/S doesn't like it. Oil & slime respond best to detergent cleaners.

Tanley 03-11-2012 06:28 PM

Simple Green, scotch pads and small stiff plastic brushes worked well for us.

SimonV 03-11-2012 10:59 PM

I met a guy who poured that blue stuff that goes in chemical toilets and let it soak in the bilge, it turned the nuts on his keel bolts brittle. Just use bilge cleaner.

flyingjib 03-15-2012 11:15 AM

Great. Thank you all!

wmmulvey 03-17-2012 10:08 AM

I used KRUD KUTTER right out of the bottle. Works great.

$12.99 @ Gal. at Home Depot

Flybyknight 03-17-2012 10:17 PM

Pine oil, or lestoil will kill the bugs feasting on the oily residue, as well as emulsify the remainder.

Rockter 03-18-2012 06:04 AM

Stainless steel is very intolerant of chlorine when it gets low on oxygen. The attack can be unbelievably rapid. I am wary of scaremongering, but please be careful. Even de-oxygenated seawater can be aggressive. On my stern plate, the big stainless bolts were almost eaten right through. I was surprised that they did not shear.

flyingjib 03-19-2012 03:57 PM

Thanks. Went with regular soap and lots of fresh water. Took a while but it's all clean now. Appreciate all your help.