SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Where to start? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/84876-where-start.html)

mikemets05 03-11-2012 06:59 PM

Where to start?

I am 17 and have only sailed a few times, at this point I would like to continue my sailing and hopefully this summer or next summer get a small daysailer. I have sailed a pixel probably three times with an instructor. I do not exactly like the place I have been sailing. I do not have any family or friends that can help me learn. What would be the next step for me? I live on long island, NY and have sailed in Jamaica Bay in Queens.

Thank You,
Mike
I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot. If I did please direct me to where it should be.

jimrafford 03-11-2012 07:13 PM

Re: Where to start?

Look for a local sailing club or yacht club that has racing evenings during the week or weekends. They should have a bullitin board you can put a "available crew" posting on. There are always boats looking for eager young crew to race. You would learn a ton. Thats how I got started almost half a century ago and how I met my wife.
Jim

Smart Pig 03-11-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemets05 (Post 843935)
I am 17 and have only sailed a few times, at this point I would like to continue my sailing and hopefully this summer or next summer get a small daysailer. I have sailed a pixel probably three times with an instructor. I do not exactly like the place I have been sailing. I do not have any family or friends that can help me learn. What would be the next step for me? I live on long island, NY and have sailed in Jamaica Bay in Queens.

Thank You,
Mike
I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot. If I did please direct me to where it should be.

At your age -- I would go to any club and seek out some good skipper who is in need of crew on a one-design boat -- pick out one that sails with only two or three total on board. A Lightning, Scot, Star, Etchells, Thistle, etc. That way you'll be a big part of the team instead of just a boom sitter, and learn much faster. Commit to being available for most of the summer. Most clubs (maybe all) will not require you to be a member to crew. Don't worry about making mistakes - as you'll make everyone of them at least once. But, you won't make the same mistake twice. :D

DRFerron 03-11-2012 07:21 PM

Welcome to Sailnet, Mike!

I agree about finding a local club (more often way less expensive than yacht club membership). Until you turn 18 you'll probably have to have a parent or guardian sign the club applications, too. I also don't know about signing on as crew as a minor. I'm not sure how that usually works.

If you plan to attend college, find one with a sailing program. They will more than likely take novices.