Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Solent Inner Stay

Thinking about a solent stay verses an inner forestay. Since the inner forestay would need and have runners as opposed to the solent stay with no runners, seems the inner forestay would give added rig safety factor. If the backstay breaks, the runners could be used to stabilize the mast. And since the inner forestay would always be rigged, it could give a factor of safety if the main forestay broke.

Any thoughts?
SVAuspicious likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Permanent inner stays are a pain to tack the headsail through the now-obstructed foretriangle.. esp large genoas.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-22-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Permanent inner stays are a pain to tack the headsail through the now-obstructed foretriangle.. esp large genoas.
Good point. I only sail with a 100% jib (generally winds here are 25k or more). I could partially furl in the jib then tack. Not too bad with the smaller jib I use.
Old 03-22-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Good point. I only sail with a 100% jib (generally winds here are 25k or more). I could partially furl in the jib then tack. Not too bad with the smaller jib I use.
That makes it easier.. still kinda hard on the sail though.. and I think you'll tire of having to partially furl the sail on every tack... but maybe you don't actually sail long beats like we do...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-22-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Definitely a PITA in tacking a genoa 'through' the foretraingle with a forestay/headstay combo, even with a stays'l flying on the forestay. Even with a 'tricing line' attached to the foot of a genoa to 'bunch' the genoa forward, it still occasionally gets 'fouled' on the forestay.

Other disadvantage is that when flying an Asymm., you MUST gybe it 'out and around' and cannot gybe it 'through' the foretriangle. 'Through the foretriangle' is probably 'best' when single handing.

As stated before, with the newer 'flying sail' furlers (for drifter, code 0, asymm, etc.) there's really no need for a solent rig. Example: Flying Sail Furlers*Furler & Top Swivel Sets**| Ronstan Marine Division

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.