Solent Inner Stay - SailNet Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 75 Old 03-12-2012 Thread Starter

Solent Inner Stay

Do you have a Solent Stay? I am looking at installing one.

Curious as to how you tension the Solent stay when in use. When not in use my forestay would have 2,500 lbs tension. When in use what should the tension of the Solent stay be? Whould the Solent and forestay share the 2,500 lb load equally of a percentage of the load?
Regards
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 03-12-2012
Just another Moderator

Re: Solent Inner Stay

Usually a highfield lever is used for that.. have you seen this??

Solent Stay
MedSailor likes this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 75 Old 03-12-2012
grumpy old man

Where are you tacking that new Solent stay?

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
post #4 of 75 Old 03-12-2012 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Where are you tacking that new Solent stay?
Plan is to install a double pad eye (rated at least 10,000 lbs) about 3 feet towards the stern from the existing forestay. The pad eye would be secured and reinfored to the bulkhead of the chain locker with a stainless steel brace/backing plate. Brace would be through bolted into the chain locker bulkhead with a backing plate. Will reinforce deck at the pad location for good measure. Solent stay would be connected to mast abut 12 inches below mast top- still looking into the type of fitting at this location.
post #5 of 75 Old 03-12-2012 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Usually a highfield lever is used for that.. have you seen this??

Solent Stay
Yes I found that site in a search- has some good information, thanks.

What I am confused about is what tension the Solent should be. The more tension put on the Solent, the less tension the forestay will see. If you tension the Solent highly, the forestay tension could go to near zero (seems this could lead to forestay failure if the forestay has slack in it and fails due to fatigue failure). Or if the Solent is not tensioned high enough, this could lead to sail shape problems.

Plan is to only use Solent stay for the hank on storm jib, or in the case of roller furler or forestay failure. Most of the times Solent would be disconnected and stored at the mast.
post #6 of 75 Old 03-12-2012
grumpy old man

I wouldn't do it that way. I'd kleep the tack as far forward as practical and drop the head down. If you have double spreaders I'd drop the head to the upper spreader where it is well supported. If you have single spreaders maybe you're better off doing it your way and keeping the head high. If you drop the head more you may end up needing running backs. But I think of a Solent stay as a way to get area forward and low so you maintain good helm balance while reducing the heeling moment.

If you have a stout mast section I don't think you will have a problem tensioning the stay but levers can only do so much and if you are trying to beat in a gale with a solent staysail you are going to need some tension on it to keep the luff straight.

It always surprises me when people ask these questions but don't include what kind of boat it is. For some odd reason I'd think the type of boat would be an important factor in making this decision. But what the hell do I know?

Best of luck with your modification. I hope you have a good spar maker/rigger handy who can help you.

Bob's Blog ....

post #7 of 75 Old 03-12-2012 Thread Starter

Quote:
I wouldn't do it that way. I'd kleep the tack as far forward as practical and drop the head down. If you have double spreaders I'd drop the head to the upper spreader where it is well supported. If you have single spreaders maybe you're better off doing it your way and keeping the head high. If you drop the head more you may end up needing running backs. But I think of a Solent stay as a way to get area forward and low so you maintain good helm balance while reducing the heeling moment.

If you have a stout mast section I don't think you will have a problem tensioning the stay but levers can only do so much and if you are trying to beat in a gale with a solent staysail you are going to need some tension on it to keep the luff straight.

It always surprises me when people ask these questions but don't include what kind of boat it is. For some odd reason I'd think the type of boat would be an important factor in making this decision. But what the hell do I know?

Best of luck with your modification. I hope you have a good spar maker/rigger handy who can help you.
My understanding is a Solent stay means it is connected to the mast no more than about 3-6% below the top (there are some other factors I will consider, but will not go into those) so that running backstays are not needed. I do not want to install runners. It would not be prudent to install a inner forestay at the lower spreaders without additional support of runners at the point of connection- that could lead to mast failure. The lower point of connection for the Solent is a far forward as I can go- other wise I end up in the chain locker. I have a good rigger- me!

Apprently you did not read my OP question. I did not ask how to tension the Solent, I asked how much tenstion. Always surprises me how people get off the OP on sailnet.
Regards
post #8 of 75 Old 03-12-2012
grumpy old man

No, I read your OP question. And if your new Solent stay is that close to your masthead I think you can tension it just like your headstay without fear of distorting the mast in that short section. That question I think will resolve itself when you try and get some leff tension on the staysail. Your proposed rig is very similar to my 50'er YONI although we carried the working jib on the inner stay and a larger genoa on the headstay. And no. Having the head of the staysail at the upper spreaders makes sense because that exactly where the mast is supported.

What kind of boat are we talking about?

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 03-12-2012 at 04:40 PM.
post #9 of 75 Old 03-12-2012 Thread Starter

Quote:
No, I read your OP question. And if your new Solent stay is that close to your masthead I think you can tension it just like your headstay without fear of distorting the mast in that short section. That question I think will resolve itself when you try and get some leff tension on the staysail. Your proposed rig is very similar to my 50'er YONI although we carried the working jib on the inner stay and a larger genoa on the headstay. And no. Having the head of the staysail at the upper spreaders makes sense because that exactly where the mast is supported.

What kind of boat are we talking about?
Boat is an S&S 34 mast head sloop. Single spreader with fore and aft lowers.
post #10 of 75 Old 03-12-2012
grumpy old man

I'd guess you have a pretty stout stick in that boat. I don't know a way of giving you a number for the load on the stay. I think you are just going to have to do it initially be feel, pretty much the way you tune any mast and then fine tune once you have sailed with it.

Bob's Blog ....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.