SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Your sailing "must have". (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/84910-your-sailing-must-have.html)

jwed 03-12-2012 06:07 PM

Your sailing "must have".

Hi All,
I am currently furnishing a boat I have just bought and thought it would be an interesting topic. So apart from electronics what is your "must have".
Cheers.

CarbonSink62 03-12-2012 06:16 PM

Re: Your sailing "must have".

Let's assume the boat has all the stuff you'd expect: hull, sails, etc.

I can't say 'stereo' because it's electronic.

I'd have to say a head, even if it's just a port-o-potty.

Yeah, that's biggie. It's hard to interest people in a 3-4 hour boat ride without one of those.

jameswilson29 03-12-2012 06:18 PM

A mast...preferably with a boom and sails...

jwed 03-12-2012 06:20 PM

Yep let's assume it's a fully kitted out boat i.e. sails and mast etc :)

Siamese 03-12-2012 06:24 PM

clear title

groggy 03-12-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarbonSink62 (Post 844495)
Let's assume the boat has all the stuff you'd expect: hull, sails, etc.

I can't say 'stereo' because it's electronic.

I'd have to say a head, even if it's just a port-o-potty.

Yeah, that's biggie. It's hard to interest people in a 3-4 hour boat ride without one of those.

hmm, dunno about where you live, but here on the sf bay, i think a port-o-potty or better is required, and enforced by coast guard inspections. the logic has to do with dumping human waste overboard being illegal, so every boat on the bay has to have its own facilities.

i suppose there must be some min boat length or something associated with this rule, as i dont think dinghies have to comply. every keelboat and larger boat i have seen has something for people to do their business in.

jwed 03-12-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groggy (Post 844511)
hmm, dunno about where you live, but here on the sf bay, i think a port-o-potty or better is required, and enforced by coast guard inspections. the logic has to do with dumping human waste overboard being illegal, so every boat on the bay has to have its own facilities.

i suppose there must be some min boat length or something associated with this rule, as i dont think dinghies have to comply. every keelboat and larger boat i have seen has something for people to do their business in.

Bucket and chuck-it!

MarkSF 03-12-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwed (Post 844489)
Hi All,
I am currently furnishing a boat I have just bought and thought it would be an interesting topic. So apart from electronics what is your "must have".
Cheers.

Can't sail without tea. Nothing like a cup back at the dock. In fact the kettle always goes on as the lines are being secured. Therefore, a stove is my no.1 must-have.

Actually stopped for a tea break off Angel Island the other day, very pleasant views.

Smart Pig 03-12-2012 06:58 PM

a hole in the bottom ...... to pour money through:laugher

MarkSF 03-12-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwed (Post 844489)
Hi All,
Cheers.

Can't sail without tea. Nothing like a cup back at the dock. In fact the kettle always goes on as the lines are being secured. Therefore, a stove is my no.1 must-have.

Actually stopped for a tea break off Angel Island the other day, and enjoyed the views for a while.