Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Best Route from Mahattan to LI Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasNYC View Post
how many days do you think I should budget for a trip to Montauk and back?
PJ first night, Montauk the next day, no problem. Why Montauk? It's not sailboat country. There are better places to go like Block I, Fishers I. , on to Newport, MV, Cuttyhunk, New Bedford, Woods Hole, Cape Cod...keep going!!!
Old 07-23-2012

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Next stop on the North Shore past Glen Cove is Oyster Bay which is worth exploring. Then its Northport/Huntington with lots of choices for anchoring or getting a mooring. The town of Northport is charming, and last I heard allows free transient tieup for a couple of hours. Next stop east is Port Jeff again with lots of anchoring or mooring choices. On the Connnecticut shore there's a harbor every few miles. Entrances can be bit trickier due to rocks and reefs so watch the charts. My favorite marina on the Ct shore is Brewers Pilots Point in Westbrook. For details, get a copy of the Embassy Guide to Long Island Sound. Invaluable for those exploring LIS for the first time.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2012
Sailing Chance

SailingChance is on a distinguished road

Alternatively, you could sail south to Brooklyn and head easy past Fire Island. There is a crossing through the center of LI call the Shinnecock. Would take longer but it's a cooler sail and you avoid the Beast River currents, traffic and jackass boaters. Just saying. I would rather go up the hudson and around than take the east river.
Old 09-03-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingChance View Post
Alternatively, you could sail south to Brooklyn and head easy past Fire Island. There is a crossing through the center of LI call the Shinnecock. Would take longer but it's a cooler sail and you avoid the Beast River currents, traffic and jackass boaters. Just saying. I would rather go up the hudson and around than take the east river.
What? !!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-08-2012

Clarity2 is on a distinguished road

Note also that the chart for the East River has a note to the effect that you cannot transit the west passage by Roosevelt Island when the UN General Assembly is in session (an anti-terrorism rule, I presume). So in a sailboat, make sure that isn't the case on your planned day, as the east passage is not useable by sailboats (low clearance fixed bridge from the Queens side to the island).
Old 10-08-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Note also that the chart for the East River has a note to the effect that you cannot transit the west passage by Roosevelt Island when the UN General Assembly is in session (an anti-terrorism rule, I presume). So in a sailboat, make sure that isn't the case on your planned day, as the east passage is not useable by sailboats (low clearance fixed bridge from the Queens side to the island). -Clarity

Having made this transit over 50 times this is a rarity, but definately check

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner