SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Best Route from Mahattan to LI Sound

5K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  chef2sail 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone

I apologize in advance if this post is in the wrong section.

Can someone recommend the best route from the downtown (west side) of Manhattan to Lon Island Sound?

I am considering acquiring a Catalina 27 or something similar to keep in the Hudson and do occasional weekend trips out to the sound.

I have heard the East River is very dangerous and the route around the northern end of Manhattan seems very long.

What is the best ways to get there? At what tide is it smartest to leave?

thanks

Andreas

#33 ·
Alternatively, you could sail south to Brooklyn and head easy past Fire Island. There is a crossing through the center of LI call the Shinnecock. Would take longer but it's a cooler sail and you avoid the Beast River currents, traffic and jackass boaters. Just saying. I would rather go up the hudson and around than take the east river.

#35 ·
Note also that the chart for the East River has a note to the effect that you cannot transit the west passage by Roosevelt Island when the UN General Assembly is in session (an anti-terrorism rule, I presume). So in a sailboat, make sure that isn't the case on your planned day, as the east passage is not useable by sailboats (low clearance fixed bridge from the Queens side to the island).

#36 ·
Note also that the chart for the East River has a note to the effect that you cannot transit the west passage by Roosevelt Island when the UN General Assembly is in session (an anti-terrorism rule, I presume). So in a sailboat, make sure that isn't the case on your planned day, as the east passage is not useable by sailboats (low clearance fixed bridge from the Queens side to the island). -Clarity

Having made this transit over 50 times this is a rarity, but definately check

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.