Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2012

scratchee is on a distinguished road
Bristol 27's in Baltimore/Annapolis?

Hey folks. This is my post where I come shuffling in with my hat in my hand, staring at my feet, confessing my newness and apologizing in advance if I'm about to break some rule or custom by asking this question in this forum.

So the tradition is to say I've been hanging out for a while, and I appreciate all the information so far! It's true, I really do.

My question is: I'm interested in a Bristol 27 located in another state. It looks and sounds good, but I would like to see one up close, here in the Baltimore/Annapolis area (or nearby.) Anyone know of an owner in my area, or can suggest a way to find one? The dinette version preferred, but any B27 would help me visualize the candidate boat.

Thanks!

P.S. Anyone selling a Bristol 27-29 in the Baltimore/Annapolis area?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Bristol 27's in Baltimore/Annapolis?

Welcome to Sailnet!

I don't have a Bristol and I don't know anyone who does, but wanted to welcome you anyway and hope you stick around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-14-2012

Thanks for the replies!

In a completely unexpected and totally unforeseeable turn of events, I have bought a Cal 2-27. Not the precise boat I was looking for, but it was local, in the water, and has been maintained and used regularly by a very nice family of sailors for the past 25 years. And it was half the price of the typical Bristols I'd been looking at (taking into account travel and shipping.)

I wasn't even planning to buy a boat until May or June, I swear.
Old 03-14-2012
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road

Congrats on the Cal!

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 03-14-2012

Thanks T37, but I already bought another boat! I'm quite certain, because of the timing, that this Bristol would be still available for a slightly lower price than I paid, in better condition than the boat I bought, with a forgotten stash of gold ingots hidden in the bilge.

(Edit: This post only makes sense to those who saw T37's original post letting me know about a nearby Bristol 27.)
Old 03-15-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

I don't know of any B27's in your area. Mine is in Wisconsin. Compared to the Cal 2-27 the B27 has a lower freeboard. It is amazing how much easier it is to climb from a dinghy onto the B27 than it was from my Catalina 22. The B27 does have a long keel with attached rudder, therefore does not exactly turn on a dime, or back up predictably. Because of the long overhangs, and narrow beam, there is not much interior volume. The B27 doesn't have as much form stability as some boats, so, it heels easly to about 20 degrees, then hardens up. I actually like that atribute. My B27 had a little water in the deck core, but, was still as solid as a rock. There is a fiberglass headliner, which looks good, but is a pain to add deck hardware. I really like that there is not a fiberglass insert for the furniture. All of the cabin furniture is built-in with wood. This makes repairs and modification much easier... and looks better in my eye. Standing headroom of about 5'10" might be an issue for some. There are probably other boats from this era that are similar, such as the Pearson Triton. Anyway, good luck in your search.
Old 03-15-2012

meteuz is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on the Cal 2-27. I had one as my first sailboat (other than a styrofoam Sunflower). I loved that boat and have come to appreciate her qualities even more now that I have a little more experience for comparison.

The thing to watch out for is making sure that the bulkheads are securely tabbed to the hull with fiberglass (tends to separate with age). If you have wooden spreaders, you might want to paint the tops white, and if you have an Atomic 4, the simple drop-in conversion to electronic ignition is worth it.
Old 03-15-2012

fordo is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on the Cal. I used to charter one in the Chesapeake and had a great time. (Weatherbound in Tilghman Creek on my wife's birthday one month after our wedding. Pasta primavera, champagne and rain on the coachroof... The sailing was good, too.)

Last edited by fordo; 03-15-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-15-2012

Thanks everyone!

This boat was a bit of an impulse buy in that it wasn't among the models I was looking for. But being local, well maintained, and with a seller who is very friendly and willing to provide some continuing support to a newbie, coupled with a rock bottom price, it seemed like a win/win/win for my specific situation.

I have a bad habit of continuing to research after a purchase, but in this case I'm turning up nothing but good news about the 2-27!

Meteuz, it does have aluminum spreaders, but the plastic fittings on the end are pretty banged up so I'd like to replace those if possible. Most of the obvious "to do" items are little cosmetic things that were probably invisible to the prior owner after having the boat for so long.