Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2012

curtcee is on a distinguished road
Re: Big Wind!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I am a little confused. The OP said 20-30. Others have said more, but I can't tell if they know more or it's just creeping.

If the game is 30-40, now even 45, the game should be postponed.
I've looked at a couple of weather sites with predictions for winds and waves for the 17th along the Southern California coast and I haven't found anything even close to 20-30 knots. Where are these 20-45 knot predictions coming from?

Curtis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2012

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys for the advice....it LOOKS like its going to be a big storm. Just picked the wrong day to go! Here are the forecasts I saw for the days on Accuweather...On saturday its winds at 24 mph with gusts up to 41. Saturday night its winds at 30 mph with gusts up to 45 mph. Sunday is about the same, but gusts up to 51 mph...I am not a risk taker and I am probably going to do some sailing...maybe even just in the harbor...but I doubt that Catalina is still in the cards for this weekend...I went over on the Flyer last weekend and it was near perfect over there...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-14-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Even 40 in the Harbor will be a handfull. Deep reefs and things stowed well aboard will be the call for the day. Gusts like that tear at a boat. Have fun and be safe.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-14-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Got it now. Seems to have deteriorated from the OP. Launching into heavy winds is different from launching into a storm, even with the same winds. In a storm, visibility will reduce, seas often get more confused as winds shift, stress is much higher as you get soaked. Not the way to first take on heavy weather. Glad to hear you are postponing. You'll get there. Very cool goal.

Keep in mind that the impact of wind is exponential. The difference going from 25 to 30 is very notably more than 20 to 25 and so on. There is math on this, but I don't have it handy. Also, if slugging into it, you will create even more apparent wind.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-14-2012

glassdad is on a distinguished road

I checked Sailflow and weatherunderground. Both indicate winds of 10-20 kts. The local weather forcasters say 30 mph with higher gusts. You can continue to plan for the trip assuming that Sailflow and others are correct but don't assume you are going until saturday morning. 30 kts of wind in the channel is no piece of cake. When in doubt, don't go. This is a pleasure trip not something you have do.

Take care.
Old 03-14-2012

cal30 is on a distinguished road

Howzit NN,
I agree with most of the others. Go for a day run in the predicted conditions and feel it out for future sails. Your boat will handle and you'll learn a lot from the experience. I have a boat partner and we can only sail together on 2 weekends per month. So, we go out when most boats stay in. This past Sunday (coastal)in gusty winds from 15-35+ and it turned out fun. We reefed and used a handkerchief for a jib. (Hawaii had some heavy weather this last week.) If it blows to over 40 stay in and do some maintenace. Keep us posted on what happens. Catalina will be there next week....I hope. HAHA. Have fun out there. GOOD LUCK.
LR
Old 03-14-2012

jetdrvr393 is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure where you usually get your weather but you posted something from AccuWeather. There are lots of better places that will give you a marine forecast. You may want to try NOAA's National Weather Service it will give you a lot more information and include wave heights and period.
Old 03-14-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetdrvr393 View Post
I'm not sure where you usually get your weather but you posted something from AccuWeather. There are lots of better places that will give you a marine forecast. You may want to try NOAA's National Weather Service it will give you a lot more information and include wave heights and period.
Newport - this is actually a great point. Look at the weather resources the other sailors are using in this thread. Way better stuff out there (windguru, sailflow, NOAA, weatherunderground, passageweather, etc.)

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 03-15-2012

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road

Sweet! Thx guys! I bought my Offshore Foul Weather Gear today! I also did a bit of a sail which was NICE. Blowing about 15-20 I guess and waves about 3 feet. Kinda fun actually to get the boat heeled WAY over...I know it may not be as fast...but fun!
smackdaddy likes this.

Old 03-15-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road

Newport,

Glad you could go out today, good practice. If you want to take a trip this weekend with the prior owner, try a jaunt down to Dana Point. It is only a 15 miles. Spend the night, if weather is too bad to sail,back, call the wives - eat brunch in Dana Point and drive home. get the boat when weather and sea state is safe.

Use sailflow.com for wind forecast. Accuweather is useless.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.