Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2012

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
Big Wind!!!

My Catalina trip is coming up and the forecast now says wind may be in the 20-30 MPH range. By far the biggest I have been in. I am going with the previous owner who isn't too worried about it. I know we can reef. Also just motor. I am a bit nervous in the big winds. Anything to do to prepare for it? I am having second thoughts about going but I have sooo looked forward to it. My thoughts are it will make me a better sailor to sail in not so perfect conditions. Thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2012

Simon_Says is on a distinguished road
Re: Big Wind!!!

Awesome! Clip in your harness and tether and have a blast! Santana 30's are fantastic big wind boats. This trip will show you (and pleasantly surprise you) just how much you and your boat will actually take. You will feel much more confident afterwards - and soon realize what rum is really for. Enjoy!
Old 03-13-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Let me see if I have this correct:

You have an opportunity to go out on YOUR boat in heavier conditions than you have been in before, with someone who has experience and also knows YOUR boat.

People pay a lot of money for instruction like that. Even when they pay for an instructor and make their appointment the weather is often not heavy enough to learn the good stuff.

Remember one hand for the boat and one for you. Besides that, go out, have fun, and learn a lot in your upcoming BFS!!!

MedSailor
BubbleheadMd likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 03-13-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Have fun
Don't be ashamed to reef or realise when it's getting out of your comfort zone.
Have fun (deliberate repeat of that bit!).

Old 03-13-2012

overbored is on a distinguished road

this will not be a good weather to take the wife or to leave her home to worry the whole time you are gone. it is going to rain and there will be rain squalls. it will be a westerly so Catalina Is. will be dead up wind all the way. and then sunday it will be even heaver, forcast to be 35 gusting to 40KTS in Hurricane Gulch. If you have not been out there in kind of weather it would not be a good time to go to Catalina. If you do, plan to go on saturday with the idea that it might be a turn and run for home if it gets as bad as forecast and if you get there you might be returning on monday when it gets a little better. wave heigths on Sunday will be 15 to 20 feet every 12 seconds. keep in mind that it is going to blow all night and even though Avalon is in the lee it will still be rough in the harbor all night. If you do go, good luck and I would say Fair winds and calm sea but that will not be so.

Last edited by overbored; 03-13-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-13-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Assuming the prior owner is also competent in those conditions, I think it would be a very good experience. It will be an exhausting learning adventure. Reef hard and then start letting some out as you get comfortable. You may not make your best speed, just get used to things first.

In high winds, I think more about waves than wind. If sustained offshore over a period of time, they can kick up some tough seas, particularly if they are coming from open water. If tidal current and wind are opposed, even tougher. I'm sure there are good forecasts. Although, on websites like SailFlow, I find wave prediction to be the least reliable.

Don't force yourself, but if you want to test your limits and you are comfortable with the skipper for the voyage, then it's an opportunity. Good luck and enjoy.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-13-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

When's your trip planned. We could take a look as well, if you like.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-13-2012

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road

The last time I was out in a 45 knot blow I could not physically stand up straight.
Never again.

Dick+
Old 03-13-2012

Random thought. If your backup plan is to motor, it is substantially more comfortable to motor sail, even if just a small amount of main up. Less side to side rolling motion.

However, be sure to check the maximum continuous heel angle that your motor can be run at. Should be in the manual.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 03-13-2012

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road

Forecasting is not an exact science, one can experience 10 possible 20 knots more than
forecast. Also best to understand weather system driving your wind.
You really don't want to drive into that by design.
If you do, a serious set of foulies would serve you well.
Want to experience some weather...daysail few hours out and back.