Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: What sailing knife do you use?

I thought I'd post an update now that the knife is here.

Over all I am MUCH happier with this knife than I expected to be. The reason is mainly the sheath and retention devices. The sheath is quite ingenious in it's design and it has MANY attachment options that are TOTALLY secure.

Out of the box it has a slot for 2" webbing that can use a stanless screw to hold it in place. That means it can be fit securely to a sailing harness with 2 inch webbing.

Another great feature is that the loop on the sheath for the 2" webbing is located low near the handle. See in the picture how part of the sheath sticks below the handle? This is part of the 2" webbing loop. This means that the knife, when installed, doesn't stick down the full length of the handle like most knives do. In fact it only sticks about 2" below the webbing. This is really nice for installing on a sailing harness so the handle doesn't jab your leg (or worse!) when you sit down.

Finally I really like the retention system. It is very easy to use even with neoprene gloves, is very intuitive and super secure. It doesn't even rattle. It's hard to describe just how easy, intuitive and fast it is to get out and yet how secure it is. It's really good.

Why all this talk about the sheath and retention system? Well this is an emergency knife and I plan to carry it all the time and use it almost never. I did cut a couple lines with it and it seems to cut just fine. I don't worry about the knife not keeping it's edge because I don't plan to be using it much and thus not dulling it.

I like it so much, I'm getting one for the wife's harness too!

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2012
John

ImASonOfaSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor

just was wondering how many times do you need to cut something? I cant think of a line i would just cut?

"""Here's a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea Drink your ales, hoist your sails Ride the windssssssssss and think of me,,,,,,,,,, 'cause Oh I wish I was there tonight"""
Old 05-15-2012

Giantjunk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortman View Post
Leatherman Wave - I use the pliers as much or more than the knife.
I second the Wave. Would be lost without it. I've abused the heck out of it for more than 8 years now and it keeps coming back for more.
Old 05-15-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb32863 View Post
Spyderco C45SBK Rescue 79 mm

I vote for this one. It is designed to cut cables around propellers, I mean that one to carry always and to join to my old knife that come with me since my first boat 30 years ago. This one but with a cream handle. They still make it 50 or 60 years after they begun to make them 50 or 60 years ago years ago.

the photo is misleading. It is a big knife.

Regards

Paulo
Old 05-15-2012

RedHorizon is on a distinguished road

I carry the Myerchin offshore crew knife in its sheath on my belt. I also generally have the Leatherman Juice CS4 in my pocket or onboard somewhere.
Old 05-15-2012
Otter

DivingOtter is on a distinguished road

This is one of my diving knives. I always carry it with me because once I needed it to cut a line and didnt have it one me. BAD move on my part and not a good way to impress the boss. I was told if I was seen without a knife, I would be without a job, so.. Even off work it is clipped to me with a brass snap shackle. It doesnt hurt that its named the Atlantic Salt..What sailing knife do you use?-c89yl_l.jpg
Old 05-15-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

sonofa-
The idea is nothow often you need to cut a line. Anyone who works with rope will tell you that it is a sin to cut a line, anytime, ever, because one day you might need a longer piee and itis much harder to undo a cut than to make one.

But if you do need to cut a line, because someone's ankle has gotten looped in it, or wrist, or even neck (genoa sheets can get cuddly), you may very well have to deal with a traumatic amputation if you can't cut that line instantly. Which means a sharp knife, quickly accessible.

Last time I needed to cut a line it had moored us by the propshaft. the water was damned cold, I kept bobbing back up or hitting my head on the hull, and I was damned glad the knife quickly went through the line. (I now always carry a watch cap, to prevent my head from damaging any bottom paint on a hull.)
Old 05-18-2012
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImASonOfaSailor View Post
just was wondering how many times do you need to cut something? I cant think of a line i would just cut?
Got an override on one of the boats I race on. Couldn't ease the sheet, couldn't unload it with another. No time to keep banging that corner. Skip calls for a cut, sheet gets cut, we tack and get a second place finish instead of DFL.

Unfortunately after cutting the line flew up and wacked the jib trimmer and bloodied his nose. He's a tough nut though, used to do competitive stick fighting. Moral of the story, watch your face when cutting a loaded line.
Old 05-18-2012
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald

I have a titanium dive knife in a sheath mounted on either side of my dodger within easy reach from the winches. The purpose of these knives is to cut sheets should anyone's hand be caught in the winches. Every crew is told where these knives are. My personal knife depends on what I'm doing. I usually carry a Gill stainless emergency knife with a serrated blade that will cut any line quickly. They are designed to used wwhen launching a liferaft.
Old 05-25-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

I have spent years looking for the perfect knife, and have been sadly disappointed. While there are a lot of good knives out there, I have been unable to find one that really fits my criteria. That being said I currently keep two in my pocket. A Davis Deluxe in one pocket for the spike and shackle key, and a Gerber Paraframe for the blade. But to be honest I can't say I really love either of them.

I keep thinking I should look into having a knife custom made, but then I think of the cost vs the new boat bits I need, and I just can't get up the motivation.