Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2012

ndj is on a distinguished road
Re: What sailing knife do you use?

Inexpensive Boyde rescue knife from Spydeco. It stays sharp, but eventually it will need a sharpen. How do you sharpen a serrated blade? Any videos out there? Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Ndj,

That is part of the problem. With modern lines like spectra/dyneema and vectran, there isn't a knife I know of that will hold an edge for more than 3-4 cuts. This means constant resharpening, and none of the serrated blades are easily sharpened on the boat. For splicing I have ceramic knives that are good for about 10 cuts (these are supposed to never need sharpening). But ceramic is to brittle for use on a boat as a primary knife.
Old 05-25-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

I carry a Leatherman Wave on my belt. Opening the blade with one hand is not as easy as some, but I haven't found it a problem. The serrated blade goes through rope easily, and they hold their edges nicely. Leatherman has an excellent warranty. I originally had a Super Leatherman that was a gift years ago. I twisted the screwdriver trying to get a seized screw out, and the local retailer took the knife back, no questions asked. No receipt, and it was at least 10 years old. Not only that, they let me upgrade to the Wave by paying the $30 price difference!
Old 05-25-2012

brehm62 is on a distinguished road

This came as a set with both a multi-tool and a lock blade knife.

The Husky multi-tool seems much heavier and studier than the Sheffield tool even though both are stainless steel.

Both of the knives are stainless steel with aluminum frames. Both have a serrated blade and both can be opened with one hand. However, the Sheffield has more of a flimsy, slightly wobbly feel. Also, the Husky has the notch where your index finger would go and has rubber on the lower edge for a better grip.

If the knife's serrated blade wouldn't cut it then you could use the blades on the multi-tool. The right blade has a fairly aggressive two step serrated edge while the blade on the left is a double row saw blade.

Husky is sold by Home Depot. I believe the Husky multi-tool is still the same (although without the pretty, blue metallic finish) but I don't think they still sell the knife. Promate has a folding divers knife but I don't know how sturdy they are.
Attached Thumbnails
What sailing knife do you use?-100_2892-resize.jpg   What sailing knife do you use?-100_2894-resize.jpg   What sailing knife do you use?-100_2893-resize.jpg   What sailing knife do you use?-100_2902-resize.jpg  
Old 05-25-2012

brehm62 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
With modern lines like spectra/dyneema and vectran, there isn't a knife I know of that will hold an edge for more than 3-4 cuts.
Have you tried a titanium blade?
Old 05-25-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brehm62 View Post
Have you tried a titanium blade?
The closest I have come was a titanium coated gill rescue kife, which was fine until the serrations dulled, and it was cheaper to replace it than to resharpen it.

The problem with titanium blades is that they just don't take a very good edge, and dont hold the edge they do take very long. This is caused by the relatively soft metal. Though their non-corrosive properties, and light weight make an interesting trade off as compared to stainless steel, which doesn't take or hold a very good edge either.

My primary objection to the knives I have seen on the market is that I don't think they are very well designed for the tasks that they need to acomplish.

First of course is they need to be sharp, very sharp, because sawing away at a line to free your crew member with a line crushing his body just won't work.

Second they need to have a locking blade. This eliminates a lot of English made knives, since they have legal restrictions on them (or so I understand). To me this is a non-negotiable.

Third they need a marlin spike. I use mine more than my knife blade to be honest

Fourth a shackle key. Ideally this would be cut into the handle itself.

Fifth the knife and spike should each be capable of being deployed single handedly, by feel alone, AND be able to be collapsed the same way.

Sixth a solid way to clip the knife to a pocket

Seventh rust resistance

Eighth the ability to be resharpened on the boat, without the need for jigs

Ninth NON-SERRATED. modern lines like spectra/dyneema do not respond to serrated blades, and have a tendency to pull threads, not cut. Scalloped blades work quire well, but they can't be sharpened (or so my kife sharpener tells me).

Ten light weight

Eleven a blade tip that when dropped on your tow won't penetrate, so some sort of blunt end.

Twelve strong enough it can be used as a small pry bar. Nothing extreme, just prying up cam cleats that have been glued into place.

Somewhere I actually have an exhaustive list, but this is the majority of my criteria. Some are definitely, others I would be willing to compromise on, but some of the major failing is see are that many knives require two hand to open or close. How exacally am I supposed to use two hands while cutting away a sail on a bouncing foredeck? Lack a locking blade or spike (I have scars from both), and a lack of a shackle key.

I know I am picky about tis, but it just doesn't seem to me that knife manufacturers really think about what they sell to sailors. They just stick a spike on and call it a day. Well, I want something a little more elegant than that, and until I find it... Well I will just keep collecting dull rejects. :P
Old 04-15-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I have a wichard glowing three in one that I keep in my jacket pocket when sailing and a ceramic knife aboard for rope.

At first I wasn't sure how necessary a sailing knife was but I find myself using the wichard all the time. It is expensive but higher quality than similarly priced folding knives I've had.

Just had to get a ceramic because I was dulling the blade cutting my lines for whipping. I guess the 316 steel is softer.
Old 04-15-2013

chamonix is on a distinguished road

Use a Grohmann #3 belt knife with army style sheath, flat grind. Made in Pictou, Nova Scotia. light, tough, dependable little knife. It's up for any task, from cutting rope to opening a tin can. Looks classy enough that it wouldn't look out of place cutting your steak at the cockpit table. It's born and bred in Canada, wouldn't use anything else. Good deal on " secounds " that are cheap with minor cosmetic flaws.
Old 05-16-2013

ashmun is on a distinguished road

We have an assortment of knife for different uses. Leatherman clip-on is our favorite. I also like the Leatherman E4 Squirt (electrical tool) and Gerber’s curve. The work horse is the Swedish Mora fishing knifes ($7-12 at Maine fishing/marine stores), sailing knifes and the dive knifes. We keep the Mora all over the boat (near the winches on each side of the cockpit and at the mast. Another interesting knife is the M.U.K (Marine Utility Knife) - it’s scary sharp with a different curve.

Julia
s/V Esprit
Mariner 39
Old 05-16-2013

Mr.Ritz is on a distinguished road

Spy deco H1 knife.. Impossible to rust