Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: What sailing knife do you use?

A sailor's choice of a knife should take into consideration what sort of cordage you have on your boat... For anyone with a fair amount of hi-tech rope aboard, halyards or sheets with spectra/Dyneema cores, and whatnot, this knife from Boye is the way to go... It cuts that stuff like no other rigging knife I've seen...

Plus, it's the only rigging knife I've ever owned which has never shown the slightest hint of rust... Beautifully designed, fits in the hand very nicely, easy to open with one hand, etc... All the things a sailor could want in a knife...

You sure don't want to lose it over the side, however... These things are pretty pricey - although I now see he's offering "seconds" with slight cosmetic imperfections, without the marlinspike, for a bit over $100...

Again, for those sailing on a boat with a lot of hi-tech line, well worth it, IMHO... Knives are one of those things that some people are very particular about, and for those who appreciate a beautifully crafted knife as a Work of Art, this one definitely fits the bill...

http://boyeknives.com/

jimmalkin likes this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 03-13-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

JohnEisberg,

Nice looking tool. How is it for opening one handed, say, compared to a spyderco?

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-13-2012

Smart Pig is on a distinguished road

A good work-around knife -- also with one-handed opening.

A bit bulky and heavy for carrying in your pocket -- use on your belt.

Alinghi Yachtsman Ranger 16310 Wenger Swiss Army Knife
Old 03-13-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
A sailor's choice of a knife should take into consideration what sort of cordage you have on your boat... For anyone with a fair amount of hi-tech rope aboard, halyards or sheets with spectra/Dyneema cores, and whatnot, this knife from Boye is the way to go... It cuts that stuff like no other rigging knife I've seen...
I have that exact knife. The blade is great and it has held up over a whole bunch of years. The spike on the other hand was grossly inadequate. The point broke off about 3/16" just trying to break a knot.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 03-13-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I will critique my original recommendation in your quote........

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post

1: Must be able to be easily carried and EASILY opened with a cold wet half-frozen hand.

Very easy. I like carrying an emergency knife clipped to my front pocket, with the knife in the pocket and the clip on the outside. Several others above will require dexterity to push the blade around with your thumb. The leatherman has a tab for your forefinger and a quick flip. Done. It's so fast and easy, people think it has a spring.

2: Must be able to cut through rope quicly and easily.

Like butter. Verified personally.

3: Should thrive on abuse. Especially repeated salt water immersions without rinsing. (I don't baby my tools)

It can take a physical beating. However, I would think any knife that could be repeatedly immersed in salt water without rinsing, would not hold an edge well.

4: Shouldn't be easy to cut oneself with wet slippery hands when using the knife.

Roger that. Blade locks open. Also, very easy to close with one hand, by pushing a lock out of the way and curling your index finger around the back of the blade. Do it all the time.

5: Shouldn't cost too much.

Just saw it on Amazon for $38.

6: A shackle key would be a plus.

Sorry.

MedSailor

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-13-2012
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

I've gotten this far with the regular Buck lockblade in a belt sheath, but this year I'll be on the ocean. My son got me a mountain climbers knife to clip to my PFD. It has a blunt tip (but good for prying) serrated on one edge, smooth on the other. It has one opening to open O2 cylinders and one to open bottles. It clips into its scabbard and pops out when both sides are squeezed.

I'll find the model and post a pic later; I'll see how well it works pretty soon (looking out the window).

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
Old 03-13-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road

I carry the exact same Myercin knife, smooth blade. I LOVE IT! I also have the smaller all stainless with the 1/2 serrated but I truly hate most serrated blades and this is no different, it catches on everything I try and cut through and sharpening doesn't help much or for very long. Plus sharpening a smooth blade is much easier as opposed to a serrated edge. I also have a SOG Multi Tool for use when I need pliers and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLucas View Post
Sailing, I carry a Myerchin Offshore Folder -- serrated blade cuts through anything. Nice size -- substantial enough for any job, but not too big. Great workmanship.

Work days on the boat, I carry my Leatherman Wave.
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 03-13-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

While sailing, a whitewater PFD knife: immediately releasable, good grip, very sharp serrated, sturdy blade. Gerber makes a plastic handle knife for around $40. I have an older all metal model. IMO, anything you need to unfold will likely stay folded if needed in a hurry. Just imagine trying to find and unfold a knife as that anchor rode is pulling you over. Commercial fishermen often use an ankle sheath in case they get hauled over the side, tangled in gear. It is quicker to find the handle on your ankle. If being dragged under, you have only a couple of seconds before being dragged too far under for it to make any difference as far as the outcome. Those "Leatherman" knives are very useful. I have one with at least a hundred applications but it is useless as an emergency knife.
Old 03-13-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
While sailing, a whitewater PFD knife: immediately releasable, good grip, very sharp serrated, sturdy blade. Gerber makes a plastic handle knife for around $40. I have an older all metal model. IMO, anything you need to unfold will likely stay folded if needed in a hurry. Just imagine trying to find and unfold a knife as that anchor rode is pulling you over. Commercial fishermen often use an ankle sheath in case they get hauled over the side, tangled in gear. It is quicker to find the handle on your ankle. If being dragged under, you have only a couple of seconds before being dragged too far under for it to make any difference as far as the outcome. Those "Leatherman" knives are very useful. I have one with at least a hundred applications but it is useless as an emergency knife.
I'm not sure any knife is good for cutting yourself free from a tether. Nothing i see above is going to be opened while you are being drageed behind a boat. For cutting the tether, I have a razar sharp S-cutter on a lanyard inside the PFD. The blade is covered in wax, which would slice through when pulled against the line. Nothing to open and it sits inches from the tether itself.

You must be referring to the Letherman multi-tool, which I agree is not good for emergencies. However, the Leaherman knife is great.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-13-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

I don't carry a knife, but I do carry a gun. I find the .380 hydrashock hollow points will blast a knot out of a rope quickly. A well placed shot or two will cut the line as needed. FMJ ball rounds will open any shackle very quickly. Gripped by the slide, the butt makes a good hammer. If your hands are cold, fire off a clip then put it in your pocket to warm your fingers. It's a great tool for fishing as well, as long as the fish are near the surface.

Full Combat Sailing can be very rewarding.
MedSailor and Lou452 like this.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas