Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: What sailing knife do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I'm not sure any knife is good for cutting yourself free from a tether. Nothing i see above is going to be opened while you are being drageed behind a boat. For cutting the tether, I have a razar sharp S-cutter on a lanyard inside the PFD. The blade is covered in wax, which would slice through when pulled against the line. Nothing to open and it sits inches from the tether itself.

You must be referring to the Letherman multi-tool, which I agree is not good for emergencies. However, the Leaherman knife is great.
Some sort of s cutter sounds like a good idea for tethers although the kayak knife is designed specifically to cut through synthetic line in river rescue. It'll go through a tether or 3/4" double braid lickety split.
Old 03-13-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by celenoglu View Post
I use this one:

Every tool has to be alone. Knives are for cutting. Including other tools to the same handle might be an easy way to carry them but using them is not. You may need a screwdriver and a plier for the removal of a machine screw.

Knives on board are needed for cutting and generally in an emergency. This knife can be carried easily, you can open it with one hand, the blade is long enough to cut a rope in one strike. The blade locks when you open it.
I have collected a few over the years. I was given one of these for Christmas and I haven't used it aboard yet. It is a great knife. Its one handed facility is the best of any knife I have.

Down
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough

Any 'sheath knife' that can be honed to a razor sharp edge and will keep that 'edge' without having to continually sharpen and 'strop'. I have 'tools' for other stuff ... gouges, scrapers, screwdrivers, scissors, corkscrews, saws, and nose hair extractors, etc.

When you NEED a knife, you want a 'sharp' one and one where blade wont 'fold' onto your fingers. :-o
redfishnc and vega1860 like this.
Old 03-13-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Assuming the knife is for safety (cutting yourself free of a tether or rigging, fo exanple), there are 3 tests it should pass that many of the sugestions do not:

1. No point. The tip should be relatively blunt so that stabbing yourself is difficult.
2. Can you retrieve it from the holster of pocket with one hand, in the dark, in a panic in the surf. Seriously, most of the belt holsters would result in the knife being on the bottom of the ocean. A lanyard may be best. I favor a deep pocket as a compromise.
3. Can it be retrieved when the PFD is inflated. No kidding, with some inflatables you might be surprised.

On side note, Practical Sailor just reported that some inflatable PFDs/harness combos block access to the release on the harness snapshackle when inflated. Sounds like a shamfull lack of realworld testing. I hope you are doing real MOBs with real people in the water with the equipment you really use (we do). Otherwise, it's no plan at all and the safety talk is lip service.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-13-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

My favorite is a Myerchin with serrated blade, marlin spike and a shackle key built into the blade. Fortunately, most of my shackles have mousing holes in the pin so I can use the marlin spike. I can also use it to trip my Tylaska shackles too. Unfortunately, the serrated blade can get dull cutting Kevlar and Amsteel pretty quickly so I keep a ceramic blade knife down in the Nav Station.

A long, long time ago I used to keep my knife in my pocket but not anymore. The one time I really needed it, it was in my pocket under my bibs which were under a sweater under a jacket that was under a life vest. I could not dig it out in time. I now wear the knife on a detachable lanyard around my neck. Never had an access problem since.

I’m a little bit nervous about something sharp in close proximity to something inflatable. I’d rather have it around my neck than clipped to my vest. My tether has a quick disconnect shackle at the vest end so I don’t need to cut the line.
Old 03-13-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
My tether has a quick disconnect shackle at the vest end so I donít need to cut the line.
There was a recall of tethers with quick releases that did not operate properly. I can also see how the release could get jammed in a D ring.
njadventure likes this.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 03-14-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the opinions and experience so far. One major thing I need to reconcile is fixed vs folder. In the fixed category it looks like rafting PFD knives and SCUBA BCD knives are contenders.

If I go for a folder it'll be the Boyd knife or the Wichard. I like the idea that the Boyd knife will never rust and practical sailor really liked it, but I wouldn't want the marlinspike breaking off on a knife that costs that much.....

Check this out, Practical Sailor reviewed sailing knives:
Article here:http://boyeknives.com/images/review.pdf

An independent and very detailed review (thesis!) of knives here:
http://www.franciscoresearch.com/ima...ife_Market.pdf

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.

Last edited by MedSailor; 03-14-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old 03-14-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Best selection of sailing knives I've seen yet is here:APS - Knives

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 03-15-2012
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road

I use the Boye Knife. It is the best sailing knife I have ever owned.

Folding Boat Knives | Rigging & Safety Knife | Utility Blade
Old 03-15-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Oddly enough I had a coupe of extra small good Solingen steel kitchen knives, so I made a small belt sheath for a paring knife, drilled a hole in the handle for an elastic wrist lanyard, and that's my sailing knife. Use in the galley is forbidden because I keep the blade mercilessly sharp. Works with one hand, either hand, and holds an edge that will part any taut line without pushing on it at all.

And it was "free", just had to take it out of the draw.

Of course in a true emergency, I could always dine with it.
RichH likes this.