Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2012

mstern is on a distinguished road
Re: What sailing knife do you use?

I have two: one is a folding knife from West Marine. It is stainless and has a sheep's foot blade that is half serrated, half straight edge, a marlinspike (which has trouble locking open), and a shackle key. I keep it on a lanyard that I wear around my neck when working at the mast, or in my pocket. I forget the price, but I know it was under $20. My second knife is a folding pointed serrated blade knife that opens easily with one hand and locks. The handle is plastic with a fake bone insert with a really cheesy "scrimshaw" carving of a buck. The handle also has a belt clip attached to it. I generally keep this knife clipped to my pocket (on the inside). This knife will cut through anything. I got it for $5 at a flea market.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2012
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

leatherman Wave for inshore stuff, lots of good tools. I carry it offshore as a tool.

On my PFD I have this:

Last thing I want to do when I need a knife NOW, is open the blade. Also, a quality straight blade is always stronger than a folder. Put some T9 on it or a dab of oil on a cloth and wipe it down. 316 stainless won't hold an edge very long. Look for a knife with a high carbon content. It will rust a little, but preventative maintenance should solve that issue.
Old 03-15-2012

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Swiss Army Mariner (also sold as the Helmsman). Costs $30 on Amazon a little more at West.

Mine lives in the front pocket of my sailing shorts.

It is great not only on the boat but around the house for weekend chores. After the blade the tool most used is probably the bottle opener, then the screw drivers.
Old 03-15-2012

Landgull is on a distinguished road

For everything I do in and around salt water, I love anything Spyderco makes in their H1 steel. It takes a fantastic edge, it never rusts, it's simple, and not expensive. And I'm a "knife geek."

I've carried one in the pocket of my lifeguard shorts, and given it no maintenance for a year now. Not a speck of rust on it. They're worth the price.
Old 03-15-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

I've had a Buck 315 for the past 25 years or so. I see many good options above, but I can't understand having knives without a marlinspike. I definitely need the spike more often than the blade. The blade is usually a secondary choice made when I need to give up on a better option!

Last edited by CaptainForce; 03-16-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-15-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
I've had a Buck 315 for the past 25 years or so. I see many good options above, but I can't understand to knives without a marlinspike. I definitely need the spike more often than the blade. The blade is usually a secondary choice made when I need to give up on a better option!
I, on the other hand, have been messing about in boats for 11 years now and never even knew that the marlinspike was for undoing seized knots. I thought it was for splicing, which seemed strange to me. Who needs to splice in a hurry....

Now that I know the spike is for getting stuck knots un-stuck I now want one at the ready at all times. Man have I been missing out.....

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-16-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

.......or for pryiing a fouled line that's overwrapped on a winch. There's another urgent need for the marlinspike.
Old 03-16-2012

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landgull View Post
For everything I do in and around salt water, I love anything Spyderco makes in their H1 steel. It takes a fantastic edge, it never rusts, it's simple, and not expensive. And I'm a "knife geek."

I've carried one in the pocket of my lifeguard shorts, and given it no maintenance for a year now. Not a speck of rust on it. They're worth the price.
But they don't have a model with a marlinspike, as far as I ca tell. Pity.
Old 03-16-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
.......or for pryiing a fouled line that's overwrapped on a winch. There's another urgent need for the marlinspike.

IMHO, if you can't clear the override by pulling vertically, you need to relieve the pressure with a rolling hitch.

Using a marlinspike is inviting line and finger damage. The wrong tool for the job and not on my boat. I've seen a marlin spike missused for many things, rather like hammers and screwdrivers.
jackdale and Minnewaska like this.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 03-16-2012

Trinkka is on a distinguished road

I keep a Gerber Multi Tool with its case attached to my belt at all times. Most of the time I only need pliers and this is where this tool comes in very handy, but if I need a knife, a serrated blade, file, or even assorted screw drivers, this handy tool has them all.