Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012

Patient is on a distinguished road
Re: What sailing knife do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
But they don't have a model with a marlinspike, as far as I ca tell. Pity.
Thats the problem I found. There is nothing that is a mixture of diving knife with Marlin Spike. I am excluding multi-tools in my sweeping generalization of course, but it has to be sheathed with a durable lanyard, ready to use at a moments notice to count in my book as useful. I am too clumsy to pick through a multitool when hell breaks loose.

I wish someone made a serrated chisel head diving knife with a spike included. Something I could swim with and hang on the helm ready for action.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
IMHO, if you can't clear the override by pulling vertically, you need to relieve the pressure with a rolling hitch.

Using a marlinspike is inviting line and finger damage. The wrong tool for the job and not on my boat. I've seen a marlin spike missused for many things, rather like hammers and screwdrivers.
There is the tool and the manner in which it is used. Certainly one can misuse a tool in a manner that causes risk; however, a marlinspike can be safely used to roll a tensioned line over another well within the design of the tool. A capable person can do this safely and without damage to the line. I do agree that use by someone who does not foresee the consequences of their actions can be a problem. A wise person can adapt tools for many uses. Anyone without vision and a knowledge of physics must stick to the designated instructions. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 03-16-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
IMHO, if you can't clear the override by pulling vertically, you need to relieve the pressure with a rolling hitch.

Using a marlinspike is inviting line and finger damage. The wrong tool for the job and not on my boat. I've seen a marlin spike missused for many things, rather like hammers and screwdrivers.
Exactly.

The rolling hitch is safer and faster .
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 03-16-2012

Trinkka is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Exactly.

The rolling hitch is safer and faster .
I agree with you on this. I use what is known as a "Lineman's Rolling Hitch" which is a lot different than any that I've seen on knot sites and in knot books. I do a lot of three strand rope splicing for my fellow YC members and I very seldom ever need a Marlin Spike unless the lays were made up too tight from the factory.
Attached Thumbnails
What sailing knife do you use?-dsc01502.jpg   What sailing knife do you use?-dsc01504.jpg   What sailing knife do you use?-dsc01505.jpg   What sailing knife do you use?-dsc01506.jpg   What sailing knife do you use?-img_0005.jpg  

Old 03-16-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Swiss Army Mariner (also sold as the Helmsman). Costs $30 on Amazon a little more at West.

Mine lives in the front pocket of my sailing shorts.

I have the "Skipper" version....same thing but with pliers and a corkscrew.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 03-16-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinkka View Post
I agree with you on this. I use what is known as a "Lineman's Rolling Hitch" which is a lot different than any that I've seen on knot sites and in knot books. I do a lot of three strand rope splicing for my fellow YC members and I very seldom ever need a Marlin Spike unless the lays were made up too tight from the factory.
That looks exotic. For what uses is it superior to a regular rolling hitch or prussic knot?

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 03-16-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patient View Post
Thats the problem I found. There is nothing that is a mixture of diving knife with Marlin Spike. I am excluding multi-tools in my sweeping generalization of course, but it has to be sheathed with a durable lanyard, ready to use at a moments notice to count in my book as useful. I am too clumsy to pick through a multitool when hell breaks loose.

I wish someone made a serrated chisel head diving knife with a spike included. Something I could swim with and hang on the helm ready for action.
Actually that does sound ideal. A diving sheath knife with a marlinspike. Every consider making one? You could just remove the spike from a folding knife. Drill a hole in the handle of your favorite dive knife and bolt it on. Adjust tension with a nylock washer, add a little loc-tite and there you go. The spike wouldn't be locking, but you could achieve your goal for the price of your dive knife, a cheap folder (with spike) and some lock-tite.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 03-17-2012

Trinkka is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
That looks exotic. For what uses is it superior to a regular rolling hitch or prussic knot?

MedSailor
Actually it's a common hitch that every power company lineman has used on a daily basis for many years.
I was a lineman for a town electric department for 32 years and this hitch was one of the first hitches the line foreman taught me when I started. We just called it the "Rolling Hitch" and everyone I worked with used it. I couldn't tell you if it's superior to the hitch in the knot books of the same name, but this is the only one of it's kind that I knew of and used on a daily basis. It's so simple to tie that you could almost tie it with one hand.
I can remember standing on my hooks on a 35' pole leaning out over a six pin cross arm using this hitch to let a wire down with a guy on the ground holding the line after I cut the wire.
I'm right handed and I would merely hold the rope on the top of the wire with my left hand with about 3' of standing part, I'd wrap the rope around the wire CCW with six wraps away from me, and bring it back toward me between the wire and standing part of the first wrap and tie two half hitches at the end of the six wraps. I don't think there's anything easier than that.

One day I tied a 3/8" line around one of my lolly columns in my cellar with this hitch and added a Bowline to the end of the line about 6" of the floor and stepped into the loop and the hitch never slipped.
I've also taken a 3/16" braid line and tied the hitch to my 1/8" back stay with a single sheave connected to it to hoist my shower bag up, and it held.

I sent this hitch to Alan Grogono Animated Knots by Grog | How to Tie Knots | Fishing, Boating, Climbing, Scouting, Search and Rescue, Household, Decorative, Rope Care, last month along with a bend called the "Benson Bend". Whether he'll put them on his web site, I don't really know. He seemed interested when he emailed me back a reply.
I use the "Benson Bend" quite a lot on my boat, and so far I've only seen it in the "Sailmaker's Apprentice" by Brion Toss. I've yet to find it anywhere else.
Old 03-17-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I have a couple older versions of this knife, with serrated blades. Flicks open with one hand, with what they call the "blade launcher". It just gets the blade started, with a slight flick of the wrist, it locks open. I have one with and without the small screw drivers. They all have the caribeaner/bottle opener. I leave it clipped inside my front pocket.

I just used it Sunday to cut some line off a permanent fender. It went through like a hot knife through butter.

$35 to $40, so losing it wouldn't ruin me entire weekend, like most "sailing" knives.

Leatherman knives: c33T/c33Tx

I have one, and it is the sharpest knife I have ever owned, including my ceramic knives. Holds it's edge really long as well, I carry it everywhere I go.
Old 03-21-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

The buck knife, yachtsman...

Don't carry it as much as I should. Will need to remedy that.