Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012
Tartan 28

drgamble is on a distinguished road
Re: What sailing knife do you use?

I have a Myerchin Titanium... it wasn't my original choice and was sent to me by Myerchin as a replacement for their "Light" knife that had a built in push light. My locking mechanism broke within 1 year; the knife was hardly ever used. I sent it into Myerchin under warranty and didn't hear anything back from them. I called them 2 weeks after it was sent and they stated they couldn't locate my knife. After several calls and hearing this repeated response I'm glad I had my shipping/tracking receipt - after providing this to them they told me they no longer had my prior style of knife so they sent me the Titanium instead. All in all it took 3 months from the time I sent in my knife for warranty until I received a replacement.

Overall the knife looks and feels good; I'm still a little suspect on quality. I've seen other reviews complaining about problems with the warranted locking mechanism (when it's broke it allows the knife to "float" about half an inch outside of it's casing, exposing the sharp tip). These guys are a very small operation out of CA and the way my warranty work was mishandled was concerning. Absent getting the replacement I'm not sure I would purchase again.

Tartan 28
Peregrine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2012

Rozz is on a distinguished road

SOG trident and my MKIII navy diver... love them, had them for years

although issued to me so was free, i might be impartial
Onyxbox likes this.
1967 Bristol 29 #35
Old 03-21-2012

fryewe is on a distinguished road

After searching the web for a bit last year looking for the perfect sailing knife to carry on my belt while underway(my criteria, of course)...non-folding so I don't have to open it to use it, carbon steel so I can keep it sharp enough to slash through a 5/8 line in a flash, with a blunt end on the blade to prevent inadvertent puncturing of important things and body parts, and the heft to sit in a belt pouch without falling out...I bought a good used butcher knife on ebay for eight dollars, broke the blade at six inches, filed the broken end to round the sharp points at the break, sealed the handle with Deks Olje, and sharpened it to a fine edge. It's a great knife...heavy, sharp, and ready for use.

For marlinspike and other tools that are not normally needed in an emergency, I go to the toolbox.
Old 03-22-2012
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road

ZZgata: How do you attach it to the PFD? I suppose you sew it to the webbing? Where on the PFD?
Old 03-22-2012
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

I lash it to the harness on my pfd and put a lanyard/shock cord on the handle of the knife. I lash it horizontally, which works well for me. The holes in the sheath make it easy to attach it where you want.
Old 03-23-2012

klem is on a distinguished road

Similar to fryewe, I bought a boning knife and cut if down. The marlinspike I turned on a lathe. For a sheath, I just sewed on up out of leather. Other than needing to make a new sheath after ~6 years of wearing it 120 days/year, it hasn't needed anything. I have probably sharpened it 50 times at this point.

I also carry a leatherman wave for those simple projects where I don't want to bother going and getting out the toolbox. There isn't a lanyard on it because I never really use it in situations where it should have one.
Old 03-23-2012

InkyMatt is on a distinguished road

I have a Myerchin Lightknife. The marlinspike isn't a spike exactly, but a slim hook that you can push into a knot, hook below the loop holding it tight, and remove it pretty quickly. The serrated blade cuts nicely, but the tip is pointed and might hole anything inflatable (which hasn't been an issue for me yet).

It's got a 18" lanyard attached to a small carabiner that i clip to a belt loop. The knife is in my pocket, easily retrieveable with one hand, and won't go for a swim.
Old 03-23-2012
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

I found a link to the knife my son bought for me.

It is an 'NRS Co-Pilot Knife':

NRS Co-Pilot Knife

Not sure how I'll attach it to my PFD.

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-23-2012

johnnyandjebus is on a distinguished road

Carbon

Thanks for the post, I have read thru several knife threads hoping to find something that appeals to me. I think I have found it thru your post. Have you owned it long enough to decide how well it keeps an edge?

Non-folding, compact and blunt tip is what I am looking for if any others have suggestions.

John

"If you canít explain it to a six year old, you donít understand it yourself.Ē
--Albert Einstein
Old 03-23-2012

klem is on a distinguished road

I have the NRS Co-Pilot on my pfd for whitewater kayaking and it works well for that. It does a decent job of cutting but doesn't cut really small diameter stuff very easily since it just gets hung up in the serrated part. Luckily in that sport, you use your knife so infrequently (well expect for making pb&j) that I have no idea how well it holds an edge.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.