Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: What sailing knife do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonSink62 View Post
I found a link to the knife my son bought for me.

It is an 'NRS Co-Pilot Knife':

NRS Co-Pilot Knife

Not sure how I'll attach it to my PFD.
I was reading about this knife extensively yesterday. It comes with an attachment rig for attaching to a PFD lash tab (that black square thingy). Several reviews I read say that once it's on the lash tab the problem is that you can never get it off! One reviewer was mad at NRS for this because now he has to buy a second knife for backpacking since he can't get the sheath off his PFD.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MedSailor; 03-24-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2012
Closet Powerboater

After much consideration I have decided on a knife. Thank you to all who contributed advice. I had no idea there were so many good knifes out there for the purpose!

Honorable mention goes to the Boyd knife. #1 with Practial sailor, made of a metal that will never rust and looks to be a life-long tool.

Honorable mention also goes to the Wichard entries, both the model posted by Jackdale (Post#2) and the "one hand" model which does look easy to open with one hand.

In the end I decided that the REAL need/intended use for the knife would be to cut something free in an emergency. To that end I decided that even though there are some great folders out there that I would go with a fixed blade knife. If I'm trapped by my tether hanging over the boat side while wearing my bulky helmsman gloves, or if my foot is in a loop of anchor line going overboard I can't be sure I'll correctly fumble the folder out. The rest of the features, like marlinspike and shackle key, I'll have to live without on this tool in order to guarantee it'll work when needed..

In fact, I never even knew what a marlin spike was before this thread, so I think I can continue to get by without one at hand. I may yet get a Myerchin P300 which has the marlinspike and pliers on it as a tool, but not for emergency use.

Since I was after a fixed knife that I could be sure I'd get to, and would work in an emergency, I found that kayaking knifes and scuba knives offered the best selection. There are many good options that are meant for easy access, even with gloves on (especially scuba knives), and that don't rust.

This is the knife I chose. Wenoka "Squeeze" Lock Titanium Knife, Tanto Tip It's got a positive locking sheath with quick access (even with gloves). 4.7 out of 5 from 54 reviews. It's blunt tipped with a sharp regular side, a serrated side, and a line-cutter notch. It's 100% titanium (not just the handle) so it's light, will hold an edge and will never rust. $53 shipped. No shackle key or malinspike, but looks like a trusty tool that'll be accessable and will work if you NEED it. I'll review it here when I get it and after I've used it a bit.

MedSailor

PS In close second was the NRS pilot or copilot knife. They had mixed reviews though on their retention system. Some said it had metal springs that rusted and others lost their knives. Also their titanium version is $120. I bet that the oxygen wrench on the NRS knife would make a decent shackle key though...

PPS Here is another titanium knife like the one I chose. Cheaper, smaller, and still highly rated. Less than $40 shipped and it's 100% titanium!http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/BLRKM...-header-BLRKMT

Last edited by MedSailor; 03-24-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-24-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Med, I dive knife's hook is really designed for fishing line. I thought titanium alloy didn't hold an edge very well either. Titanium coated is okay.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-26-2012
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyandjebus View Post
Carbon, Thanks for the post... Have you owned it long enough to decide how well it keeps an edge?
You're quite welcome. I'm pleased that my son was able to find it for me; he did good.

No. I haven't even used it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyandjebus View Post
Non-folding, compact and blunt tip is what I am looking for if any others have suggestions.
That was my criteria as well. Also quick access, I don't want to have to stand up on the foredeck to get it out of my pocket.

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
Old 03-31-2012
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Med, I dive knife's hook is really designed for fishing line. I thought titanium alloy didn't hold an edge very well either. Titanium coated is okay.
Mini,

Thanks for this. I did some homework and apparently there are several titanium alloys being used. The best alloy for knife sharpness/hardness is a beta alloy which is still 100% corrosion resistant. Beta alloy is what's used in the Winoka knife. Some knife fanatics over on knife/blade forums seem to approve of the titanium alloy used in this knife. They also report that it appears the knife is made in Japan (a definite plus). If it's good enough for them, it's more than good enough for me since I'm not a knife nut. Also, since I'm not prone to babying my tools, I figure a corrosion free knife is more likely to be a sharp knife for me.

I'll take a look at the hook when I get it. Even if it's a bit small for rope, one full side of the blade is serrated which should work well for rope.

I ordered the knife today and will post a review once I have played with it for a while.

MedSailor

From knifeforums.com:
"Welcome to KF

AFAIK Wenoka is the name for a range of knives, it is not the name of the company. The name may have been derived/corrupted from one of the lesser known Native American tribes since most of the more popular names (Apache, Commanche, Sioux.....) have already been taken. Not sure where they lived except it was almost certainly north of Mexico and south of Canada

Actual company is Deep See, which is parto of the Aqual Lung Group

Deep See: Part of the Aqua Lung Family of Brands

Their Ti range uses beta-Titanium, which is the most advanced Ti that's available commercially."

Last edited by MedSailor; 03-31-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-01-2012

DesertPirate is on a distinguished road

I use a Myerchin Offshore Rigging Knife with a wooden handle. Why? It is beautifully made, it has a fid, a small shackle key, and my girlfriend gave it to me for my birthday. It appears to keep an edge. I did remove the belt clip so it's more comfortable in my hand. It's the kind of knife to use and pass down to your children.

What sailing knife do you use?-myerchin.jpg

Last edited by DesertPirate; 04-02-2012 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Would like to attach a different picture
Old 04-07-2012

Smart Pig is on a distinguished road

I finally settled on the knife for me.

SOG TWITCH II

I've been looking for a compact and slender pocket knife (one handed opening) that will primarily serve in an emergency (worst fear is probably No. 1 with everyone - falling overboard caught in a line).

Compact and slender with 2.68" blade. Absolutely one-handed (spring loaded) opening. As lightning fast as a switch-blade. Hard anodized-aluminum handle and AUS-8 stainless steel cryogenically heat-treated blade for a razor sharp edge. If it ever needs sharpening, it'll take to a stone very nicely.

Here is the spec page -- be sure and watch the short video

SOG Twitch II. SOG Twitch 2 Folding Knife From SOG Specialty Knives & Tools
Old 04-07-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
A sailor's choice of a knife should take into consideration what sort of cordage you have on your boat... For anyone with a fair amount of hi-tech rope aboard, halyards or sheets with spectra/Dyneema cores, and whatnot, this knife from Boye is the way to go... It cuts that stuff like no other rigging knife I've seen...

Plus, it's the only rigging knife I've ever owned which has never shown the slightest hint of rust... Beautifully designed, fits in the hand very nicely, easy to open with one hand, etc... All the things a sailor could want in a knife...

You sure don't want to lose it over the side, however... These things are pretty pricey - although I now see he's offering "seconds" with slight cosmetic imperfections, without the marlinspike, for a bit over $100...

Again, for those sailing on a boat with a lot of hi-tech line, well worth it, IMHO... Knives are one of those things that some people are very particular about, and for those who appreciate a beautifully crafted knife as a Work of Art, this one definitely fits the bill...

Boye Knives Cobalt Blade Boat Knife - Rigging & Sailing Yacht Knife

Part of the reason these knives are so good on tough materials is that they effectively have mini serrations. Fancy names aside, the metal used is basically microscopic carbide teeth in a softer metal, kind of like a miniature saw. Exactly what you need for cutting incredibly tough fibers. These microscopic teeth are what create the slicing effect, the scallops help with the action of the blade drawing it by varying the angle the edge hits the rope at. A very neat technology, basically a cheaper consumer level version of Stellite/Talonite steels.
Rob Simmonich was the main guy behind Talonite, so it's become increasingly harder to find unless you know someone who stockpiled a bit while he was alive.
I think Strider might still make some Stellite blades, but like most things however there is a trade off.

These types of steels should be a dedicated use knife only, the edges are very soft. They require a bit of a different sharpening technique to keep that slicing edge.
Not a good food prep or general use knife, for example they are just about useless in a push cut(like carving wood or peeling potatoes).
Old 04-08-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

If your primary reason for having a knife is to cut the tether after falling overboard, I highly doubt a one handed folding knife will do anyone any good at all. Have you ever been pulled out of the water onto water skis? The force of the water is enormous. When being dragged behind a sailboat, even doing only 5 or 6 knots, just the presence of mind to turn over on your back so you won't drown may be a feat. I have one of these attached to my pfd/harness for cutting the tether........

Amazon.com: Spinlock S-Cutter Safety Knife: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Spinlock S-Cutter Safety Knife: Sports & Outdoors

I also carry a one handed opening blade clipped inside my front pocket. That is to allow me to cut my other hand free if it gets caught in a line or winch. Ouch, hard to even think of it.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-08-2012

Smart Pig is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I can't visualize how that thing works -- is there a video somewhere?