Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: What sailing knife do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Pig View Post
I can't visualize how that thing works -- is there a video somewhere?
I don't know of one, but try to google around. The green wax part is soft and covers a razor sharp hook blade. The rest is what you hold onto. You put the wax hook over the tether and pull. Easy peasy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2012

Smart Pig is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I don't know of one, but try to google around. The green wax part is soft and covers a razor sharp hook blade. The rest is what you hold onto. You put the wax hook over the tether and pull. Easy peasy.
Ok good -- I have a picture in my mind now, thanks. The only issue as you describe is that I don't use a tether the boats I race (Scots, Sonars, etc.). If I were to get caught in a line, it would be around the ankle.
Old 04-08-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Pig View Post
Ok good -- I have a picture in my mind now, thanks. The only issue as you describe is that I don't use a tether the boats I race (Scots, Sonars, etc.). If I were to get caught in a line, it would be around the ankle.

Lazy boom reefing lines make great nooses during a gybe.

The foredeck is a place where guys get caught up in stuff.

Recently read of a sailor who was lifted off the deck by a spinnaker guy that caught his lifejacket/harness. He was able to cut himself free.

A fellow racer used his knife to cut a leech line that snagged on the mast during a tack and put us in danger of a collision. (it was a folder btw).

Miniwaska, thanks for the visual of using your left hand to free your right from the meat-grinding winch.....

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 04-08-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
After much consideration I have decided on a knife.

MedSailor
I had the steel version of that same knife. I would stay away from TI knives for an oh **** knife. Ti is great for not rusting, doesn't hold an edge or cut all that well in a hurry.
The blades are short and the serations are wrong. It is almost the fixed blade version of a multi-tool(doing several things at once, none as well as a dedicated blade).

If it's only for the use you've outlined I would go with a good modern steel(some of the newer new powdered steels come to mind) with a longer scallopped serration and thin blade. Blunted round tip, fixed blade, single type . For dive knives those are fine, the hook is a benefit, I used mine to find and trap fishing line I couldn't see to cut(tangled up on my regulator behind my head. Thick is great for prying. In a large rope tangled situation where time mattered I would never trust it. The sharp portion is too short, the handle is too skinny. The sheath doesn't retain well enough on it's own, and hangs on too well when you want the knife. Fine if you can just swim down and dig it out of the mud and go back to whatever you are messing about with. Not fine if you're trying to cut yourself free in a hurry.

I would stick exclusively to river rescue type knives, or sailing knives.

EDIT: For example the Emerson La Griffe, good retention, small profile, finger hole helps to index it. There is always the debate of whether you should have a knife tethered or not, propenents say yes because losing it when tangled isn't going to help, those against it say it's one more thing to tangle and if you can't reach the problem you're up the creek, or worse if it falls out of the sheath and you get bitten by it while you're flailing around.

http://www.emersonknives.com/ekLaGriffe_WWR_SFS.php

CRKT etc curved river knives are a cheaper version, but IMO the Emerson knives are better. Ernie Emerson is a really solid guy, though I would hate to lose one of his customs over the side, the prices on his production ones aren't bad.

Last edited by Jgbrown; 04-08-2012 at 07:26 PM. Reason: quoted section was too long
Old 04-13-2012

capnvega is on a distinguished road

For 20 years I have been wearing a lanyard of some sort around my neck with a light weight folding knife hanging on it by its belt clip. Also on the lanyard is a white Photon light. I am usually in a very casual state of attire and can't even be counted on to have pockets, much less a belt, but I always have my knife and flashlight. These knives have always been pointy and yeah, I have stuck myself a little, but I also cut myself shaving. I do use dedicated blunt tip, serrated knives on my PFDs and a Buck 315 in my pocket (gone thru 3 in 12 years) and a Leatherman Wave on my belt, but I use my "neck knife" more than any of them.
Old 04-17-2012

nemier is on a distinguished road

I have a leatherman on my PFD and carry a Sypyderco Harpy in my pocket. The Harpy has worn shiny over the years as I always seem to be grasping/holding/playing/fondling it
Occasionally I may forget it, say if taking off my jacket, but some seconds later I miss it and go retrieve it.

The leatherman is actually used more, virtually everyday on the boat, but the Spyderco is always there for the serious quick line-cutting work.

Btw, I've been MIA for awhile, feels good to get back to SailNet.
Attached Thumbnails
What sailing knife do you use?-spyderco-harpy.jpg  
Old 04-20-2012

Smart Pig is on a distinguished road

The May issue of Sailing World has a good article on this very topic. They must have been paying attention to this thread.
Old 04-20-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

I am a newbe and have enjoyed mthis thread> Right now I will use my dive knife tanto tip fixed blade. I keep a sog aegis on me most of the time it is a folder. I like to ski. you can come up on your elbows and knees if you need to breath then turn to your back spin around dig your feet in at 50 mph and you are barefooting. When one goes overboard without a man to kill the speed at the first hint of a problem you are in trouble Good luck getting to that knife with any injury you may have along with the odd angle of pull from whatever body part you are draging from. Clint Eastwood just shot the rope :-) LOU 452
Old 04-21-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i dont carry a knife on my person, but i am very very careful walking. i was instructed as a kid to walk safely. we had no lifelines.
when i use a kife on board i like my 3 in one davis or the new gil one i am g9onna mebbe buy..with the knife, marling spike, and shackle key....

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Last edited by zeehag; 04-21-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-05-2012

larrytwo is on a distinguished road

Hello there, Buck knife 110 frame has been my knife of choice. Strong keeps and edge and fits the hand. A little story... I was working oil service vessels in South east asia in 1978, came aboard after an evening ashore and found my cabin had been cleaned out. The only thing they left behind was the box my knife had came in. Inside was the warranty thatI had failed to fill out and mail in. so for the hell of it i filled it out explaining what had happened and mailed it. Ya know by golly, about 2 months later a new one came in the mail. Any one with that kind of customer care deserves my praise. ! still have that knife and it has served me well. this is it... Log In | Facebook Cheers Larry ps.. i'm not sure that this link to photo well work.

Member, Canadian Coast Guard aux, unit 55. 1980/1998