Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012
INFINIT3

Realm333 is on a distinguished road
New and in need of advise.

hello all im kevin and ive posted here and there on the forums and have been lurking for quite a while now and im ready to get my feet wet. So i am a total newbie when it comes to sailing and i have recently bought a couple sailing books to get started. im also taking asa courses in a month. After that i plan to buy a boat. Now since never sailed before "i have been on many power boats though" im looking for a small 19-26ft to just learn on for about a year before i spend big bucks on a better boat. Now i have a couple quiestions? ive seen many boats that look like great starters for relativly cheap " a couple grand cheap and that is what im looking for as i said before it is just a learning boat i plan to sail her for about a year then sell or just give to someone who needs one. Now for the tricky part marinas, ive looked into several marinas "im in florida around tampa area" and they run about 10$ foot per month. Now i kinda laughed because the marina will cost more than i plan on paying for the boat lol. So is there alternitives to marinas or if anyone knows any cheaper marinas around. I hate using the word cheap but like i said its a begginer boat and i wish to save as much as possible for my dream boat in a couple years. Also i will be working 5 days a week so i dont know much about having a boat on the hook while no one is tending or near it to make sure nothing happens if anyone has done this info would be great. Sorry for the rambling but i just want to go sailing asap, im tired of watching videos of others dong it now i want to too.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2012

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road
Re: New and in need of advise.

If you start off with a small enough boat, you could keep her on a trailer as opposed to having a slip. Otherwise, your choices are a slip or a mooring. Leaving a boat unattended on an anchor for any length of time is not something you will want to do.
DRFerron likes this.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 03-16-2012
INFINIT3

Thanks i have been thinking about trailering it but i live in an appartment complex so there isnt any place i could keep it but i was wondering if it is possible to rent a dry slip or something were i can keep the boat on the trailer and whenever i want to use her just pull my truck up and were off but i doubt there are places like that
Old 03-16-2012
INFINIT3

Also i will be working 5 days a week but i will be able to stop buy during lunch hour or after work to check on her but i will be spending my weekends sailing. Im still a little bit errie about mourning though since i will not be permantly living aboard
Old 03-16-2012

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

Many marinas have places to park trailered boats. Or, there are storage lots / boat yards, etc. that allow trailered boats. Disadvantage of the trailer is the need to have a vehicle capable of hauling the trailer.

Will restate that you will not want to leave your boat anchored. Mooring your boat on a mooring is not the same as anchoring. Mooring is an option, but anchoring is not really a long-term option.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 03-16-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

I know this is not the norm but our marina has several vehicles they offer their land storage customers to use to put their boats in and out of the water. maybe there are a few marinas in your area that do the same.
Old 03-17-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Look at Craigslist for your area you might find a cheap slip there. BUT IMHO anything that is close to the ocean is going to cost $200 + pm.

Dry sailing it of a trailor is the cheapest way to go for 15 to 22ft.

Why not think about something smaller that you could carry on your roof?
Old 03-18-2012

spider_manfan is on a distinguished road

Hey Kevin,
I'm in the same boat...haha ok not funny. I'm wanting to get into sailing and live aboard. I don't have a boat. I'm looking to rent a live aboard in the Victoria, BC, to start with. I'm going to follow along with the post and learn what I can. If anyone has any advice re finding a sailboat to rent, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Samantha
Old 03-18-2012
INFINIT3

Haha Sam I thought it was pretty funny good luck with your search keep me posted on what you find. I too am looking to liveaboard in time once I learn the ropes of sailing. Thanks everyone for your input I have spent the weekend going to many marinas and I have found a lot of information, also I found a cape dory 22 in very good shape and the owner has it on a trailer at the marina dry lots which I found out that you can keep your boat there for a lot less than let's say a boat slip. I think ill keep looking to see what other options are avaliable.
Old 03-18-2012

ftldiver is on a distinguished road

you guys need what I have, a trailersailor.

macgregor being one of the better varieties of these, IMHO. they made many models, including the powersailor models of the last 15 years.

budget? for 1500-5000 you can find a lot of boats. condition is everything. check keel bolts especially.

I have a 1988 26D macgregor. big little boat.

how about a mooring? and a dingy, that's usually 1/3 the cost of a slip. then you could go much bigger.

budget?