Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2012

dylanwinter1 is on a distinguished road
Twassocks 2 -film - what do you think

There I was by my boat - up a sand creek in North Norfolk - tide out - when these two chaps came past

what do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x0R6YNb3zo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2012

dongreerps is on a distinguished road
Re: Twassocks 2 -film - what do you think

you lost an opportunity to throw them a line
Old 03-17-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

There has been some discussion in the Sydney press re lifting the ban on JetSkis on Sydney harbour. A letter to the editor of the SMH touches on the subject implying that JetSkiers and Offroad motor bikers be allowed to enjoy their respectives pastimes without being harangued by sailors, walkers and pushbike riders. The answer seems plain enough. Come up with a Jetski/TrailBike/Motorised Paraglider that doesn't make an unseemly racket and maybe just maybe they would have a case. Why is it that peace and quiet seems so unimportant ?

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 03-17-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
implying that JetSkiers and Offroad motor bikers be allowed to enjoy their respectives pastimes without being harangued by sailors, walkers and pushbike riders.
I believe the bans are brought into effect because it is the bikers and Jet Skiers that DO all the haranguing. Actually, I've never found dirt bikers to be an annoyance - it's the Hog's with the near universal shotgun pipes that annoy me. They all seem to make the park and cafes near my house their destination whenever the weather is nice.

The yuppie biker credo - "Live to Ride, Ride to Brunch".

Jet Skiers need no comment - they are nearly universally a$$holes, like cyclists who insist on riding on busy roads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-17-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I believe the bans are brought into effect because it is the bikers and Jet Skiers that DO all the haranguing. Actually, I've never found dirt bikers to be an annoyance - it's the Hog's with the near universal shotgun pipes that annoy me. They all seem to make the park and cafes near my house their destination whenever the weather is nice.

The yuppie biker credo - "Live to Ride, Ride to Brunch".

Jet Skiers need no comment - they are nearly universally a$$holes, like cyclists who insist on riding on busy roads.
Oh yes the Hogs. How is that they can get away with it ? If my car made that much noise I'd get a bloody defect notice.
Why it is that they seem to think the rest of us want to hear that racket is quite beyond me.
As for pushbikes don't get me started. Every day I have to drive down a one way single lane street to my office. At Least a couple of times a week I get some dill on a pushbike coming down the wrong way, some of whom will give me a hard time if I don't get out of their way. Quiet they may be but yep a nuisance.
That said, noise is still my bugbear.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 03-17-2012

Agri is on a distinguished road

I think I want one.
Old 03-17-2012

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

Here's what I think: I like the term 'Twassock' - did you make that up?

What do I think about the paragliders?

Like some women: they would be fun to ride, but you wouldn't want your sailor friends to know about it!
SloopJonB likes this.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 03-18-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agri View Post
I think I want one.
I don't think I've got the cojones for that - I went parasailing and it was fun but boy, did I know how high I was, every second - kept checking the harness the whole time. Of course, it WAS in Mexico so I didn't know about any certification or testing of the equipment.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-18-2012

dylanwinter1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
Here's what I think: I like the term 'Twassock' - did you make that up?

What do I think about the paragliders?

Like some women: they would be fun to ride, but you wouldn't want your sailor friends to know about it!
The term Twassock has a fine pedigree and you will find it used in witty and informative ways all across the web

twazzock
n. a stupid or disagreeable person. Subjects: English, United Kingdom, Derogatory, Slang
Etymological Note: Perhaps from “twat” + “wazzock,” both also meaning “a stupid or disagreeable person.” “Wazzock” is recorded slightly earlier than “twazzock.”

It has a fine feel in the mouth and look on the page - although clearly I spell it in a different way from some people - put that down to cultural differences

Old 03-18-2012

Patient is on a distinguished road

I think its kind of cool. It reminds me of those 1930s videos from the golden age of aviation innovation that never quite worked out. Here we are with people accomplishing that dream like its no big deal.

I have seen in person however, a lot of these folks doing very questionable maneuvers at dangerous altitudes in populated areas.

On a beach in Lake Michigan I saw a few of these guys buzz by so low that they had to dodge Hobie Cat masts. To me that just spells out accident in that making.

What, if any FFA rating is required to do this by the way? Or is it like a moped under 50ccs that doesn't require any proof of competence?