SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   ladder tied to mast? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/85157-ladder-tied-mast.html)

RNC725 03-19-2012 12:03 AM

ladder tied to mast?

It started off with my flag halyard coming apart, the block was attached to the starboard spreader. There was only myself and a non-sailor friend there but I wanted to get it fixed as my wife and I were entertaining friends later that day. I considered, not for long, having him hoist me up in the bosun's chair, but he had no experience with either that or climbing so no go. Then I thought of simply grabbing one of the extension ladders in the yard and having him 'steady' it, bracing the bottom against the front hatch and just going for it. By this time a couple of folks had gathered around and one suggested I secure the bottom rung to the mast, then every 3 rungs as I climb up -- the end result the ladder being vertical with the mast. So, off I went, climbing and tying off every three rungs. Then I stretched out and ran the new line through the block, climbing down and undoing as I went -- it worked well. Would have liked to have had a climbing harness with me and using a halyard for safety but it wasn't too bad. I give myself a A+ for adapting, a C- for safety and probably an F for thinking "this has to be done now".

Oh well, the good Lord does look after fools and drunks...

Fairwinds to all,

Lake Superior Sailor 03-19-2012 12:50 AM

Re: ladder tied to mast?

Well, that couldn't have been much different then using mast steps or climbing a telephone pole with steps...not bad as long as you hang on! Luck be with you ! ..Dale

WanderingStar 03-19-2012 10:18 AM

I'm considering just putting a bight around the mast while the ladder is down. Then raise the ladder, bight at the top. When it's up, tighten the dangling ends, binding the top to the stick. Secure the feet, use a harness, climb up.
I'm glad your method worked. I'll keep it in mind.

imiloa 03-19-2012 10:48 AM

I have a product called Mast Mate which is basically a ladder made of heavy duty webbing with sail slugs attached. You feed the slugs into the main track and raise the ladder as high as you need to go and that's it. Great for times when you don't have a grinder to get you up the mast in a chair or when you don't want to have that free swinging experience of a bosun's chair. Safety line still a must.

CapnBilll 03-19-2012 11:31 AM

With a safety line tied in a bowline if you don't have a boson's chair, and a loop around the mast, it doesn't sound much worse than using mast steps.