My catalina trip got postponed, but my buddy who sold me the boat decided it would be a good idea to still go for a local sail if the weather allowed. Saturday was miserable...cold wet and windy. Sunday, thats a different story altogether! It was windy, but the sun was breaking through the clouds and other than the ocean spray, dry! Winds were between 15 and 30 mph! We decided that my patched jib
wouldn't last long in 30 mph winds and a 135 in that wind was ENTIRELY inappropriate. I had a storm jib
on the boat, but didn't want to yank the 135 off the furled, so we decided to go main only. We put the main up and were off...were were flying and at only point surfing IN THE HARBOR! Downwind all the way to the channel opening and went out in the 15+ foot swells! The wind in the ocean was still blowing 20-30, but the water wasn't choppy at all...I was nervous at first but because the boat was moving (8.9 knots at the fastest!), it wasn't getting tossed around at all...in fact it was slicing through the waves! The boat handed like a dream and pretty soon, I was smiling ear to ear being in such crazy wind and water while sailing so peacefully! A few tacks and about an hour of sailing we headed back into the harbor...and went upwind back to the mooring. All in all about a 4 hour sail, but it was amazing! Best sail I have ever had! We thought we would try and catch one of those huge waves and surf, but because we only had a main up, we couldn't catch a wave, my buddy said if we had a spinnaker
or even a jib
, we'd be able to surf and get huge speed! Not sure I'm ready for that yet, but I had a blast...got wet, tested out my new foul weather gear (that worked flawlessly, kept dry and toasty!) and learned ALOT about the boat and how much it would handle...I REALLY like this boat!