Pulled out a cleat at my slip, now getting pursued for damages - advice please - Page 10 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Re: Pulled out a cleat at my slip, now getting pursued for damages - advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
...Unfortunately, you can expect to have a premium increase next year, based upon the claim...
I was told that it wouldn't change my premiums.

I think they were initially not going to pay him, but then when they saw the amount, I guess they thought it was too small to make a fuss about.

Regards,
Brad

Last edited by Bene505; 06-07-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Pulled out a cleat at my slip, now getting pursued for damages - advice please

I expect "his company" was a corporation and a separate legal entity, because last time I dealt with an insurer (auto) and repairs, any labor you put into a repair was NOT reimburseable, it had to be done by an arms-length third party.

Certainly sounds like someone at the insurance company said "just get rid of this".

As Minne said, you know who you're dealing with now. Time to keep an eye out for a different dock.
Old 06-07-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
I was told that it wouldn't change my premiums.

I think they were initially not going to pay him, but then when they saw the amount, I guess they thought it was too small to make a fuss about.
Maybe the claim has to be a certain amount or percent of value to hit you. Mine was over 20k. Deductibles are usually 1% of boat value too, but I'm not sure if that's the case for liability.

Also, this wasn't volunteered to me originally. My premium actually changed very little the following year. It wasn't until two years later, when I made some changes to coverage that I discovered that my premium should actually have gone down by quite a bit, but was offset by the "claim" increase.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-07-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Bene, Glad it's behind you and you can enjoy the sailing season. But it does s#ck when the low lifes win.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 06-07-2012

sevseasail is on a distinguished road

Very interesting thread.
Bene, I'm glad it's all behind now.

I'm an insurance adjuster and would have suggested you arranged for the repairs (if liable or if you just wanted to play nice and continue to have a nice relationship with your marina) yourself by hiring someone; it would have cost a couple of hundreds at most. which you will save in premiums over time; trust me, don't believe what your insurance agent says, don't forget he's just a glorified salesman. The insurance company is going to look at you as a higher risk, as you are more likely to file a claim; whether it was your fault or not, and your premiums will go up.

Unfortunately there are plenty of dishonest people that love to make money from insurance claims, and the costs of everything is super inflated when an insurance company is picking up the bill. I see this every day and I can only think how stupid it is because at the end every single one of us has to pay insurance premiums for one or another thing, so driving the price of insurance up does not help anybody.

Again, I'm glad its behind and you can now go sailing and forget all about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Chata
1980 Catalina 22

"Common sense is the least common of the senses"

Last edited by sevseasail; 06-07-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-08-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06

And now that you are off the hook, it is time to move to a different marina. Otherwise, you can expect more of the same kind of treatment in the future. Further, your greedy marina needs to understand that customer-hostile attitudes chase customers off -- especially when the economy is slow and his customers are hurting as much as he is.
Pasadena, MD