Pulled out a cleat at my slip, now getting pursued for damages - advice please - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
Re: Pulled out a cleat at my slip, now getting pursued for damages - advice please

WOW, I've never had an issue go that far, (knock on wood), I ditto the insurance, they have lawyers too.
Old 03-19-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road
Re: Pulled out a cleat at my slip, now getting pursued for damages - advice please

Does your marina have or have they had a relationship of some form that allowed your marina the use of the dock your boat was secured to?
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2012

tweitz is on a distinguished road

I would take the position that (a) your only contract is with the marina, and it is between the marina and the slip owner (who you did not even know was not the marina); and (b) in any case, all you did was tie the boat up to the marina in the normal course, and if the slip was damaged, it is the fault of deficient hardware on the slip and not you or your boat.
Old 03-19-2012

SPC is on a distinguished road

If you have a choice, move your boat and make no further response to anyone about the incident.

In my opinion, they are at the, "Let's try to get someone else to pay stage," one of the most common stages of American life. If they reach the talk to an attorney stage, I think that this will go away.

If you have no choice about storing your boat or must maintain the relationship with the marina, I suggest that you hire an attorney to talk with them and see if he/she can't make it go away for $200 or less without directly changing your relationships.
davidpm likes this.
Old 03-19-2012

delite is on a distinguished road

If they have tied you to a dock that doesnt belong to them I'd give them a choice. Fix the damage or return all of your slip rental fees since they dont own the property and didnt have permission to rent it.
steel likes this.
Old 03-19-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by delite View Post
If they have tied you to a dock that doesnt belong to them I'd give them a choice. Fix the damage or return all of your slip rental fees since they dont own the property and didnt have permission to rent it.
I wouldn't, slip rental might be cheaper than hauling and repairing the dock.
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 03-19-2012

steveg353 is on a distinguished road

Good luck Bene…I hope justice and common sense prevail.

This raises a hypothetical question in my mind. I am in a marina that, I assume owns all of their docks. If my boat pulled the cleat off the dock and hit the boat in the next slip….who is financially responsible for repairs to the dock, my boat, and my neighbor’s boat? Is there a general rule of thumb or is it a contract by contract situation?
Old 03-19-2012

Rozz is on a distinguished road

if u have proof of payment to them u should only be dealing with the marina. most insurance ive heard/know about will cover ur lawyer fees to an exent. call ur insurance and have your people talk to their people. they (ur insuance) have lawyers in their pocket lol

imho of coarse...
davidpm likes this.
1967 Bristol 29 #35
Old 03-19-2012

nolatom will become famous soon enough

Absent any contractual language that makes the boat (owner) responsible for all damage to mooring devices, I'd say that a cleat or its anchoring timbers that give up the ghost while undergoing the loads of a properly-moored (i.e. you didn't lead six lines to one cleat, or try to spring-pivot off it at full throttle) and proper-sized boat for the slip, is due to the mooring bitt being either too weak or improperly maintained.

Therefore it's "wharfinger's" fault, not vessel's.
Old 03-19-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Call your insurance agent. A boat owner is responsible for the damage caused by their boat. The marinas that I have berthed at out here on the West Coast all required proof of $300K liability insurance and that they were listed as “co-insured” on the policy. If the dock timbers were rotten, it was your responsibility to notify the marina management for repair. If you had done this before the incident, then perhaps some of the “blame” could be apportioned to the marina management. Right now, your only recourse it to negotiate a settlement with the owner to share the repair expense. Fight with him, and you will most likely lose the suit and then be stuck with the entire repair bill.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.