Pulled out a cleat at my slip, now getting pursued for damages - advice please - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Re: Pulled out a cleat at my slip, now getting pursued for damages - advice please

OK, I'm not a lawyer so please bear with me on a couple of thoughts.

First, unless Bene was negligent in how he secured his vessel then my initial thought is that he shoulders no fault here.

The marina knew the size/displacement of Bene's boat. By assigning him this particular parking place, they assume responsibility for ensuring that is it adequately sized to hold his vessel. It was their call to put him there, not Bene's. The marina should carry their own insurance to cover things like this.

If the cleat tore out due to improper maintenance of the dock and/or dock hardware, then the owner is at fault. Look at it another way: Say the mailman comes to my house, and while he is delivering the mail the front door falls off of the hinges. You think the USPS is going to buy me a new door? I'm betting not... The dock owner and the marina need to work it out between themselves.

Of course, this is assuming that common sense is at play here.

Bene, I hope you don't wind up having to get lawyered up for this one. I'm in full agreement that you should be dealing only with the marina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Pulled out a cleat at my slip, now getting pursued for damages - advice please

George in your scenario the marina bears no responsibility for their docks or equipment. I can't see that being the case -- even if their slip agreement is written that way. I'm not a lawyer but I do know that a contract can't supercede the law. Put another way, if you fell through the dock would it be your fault for not swimming underneath to check its condition?

I'd put it right back in the marina's lap. Their equipment failed -- regardless of whether they're subletting that equipment. It's not up to you to determine the cause. Online everybody wants to be a lawyer and overthink these things.

I wouldn't get the insurance company involved unless this guy really wants to push it. Sounds like a fishing expedition. Hopefully you have a good relationship with the marina. That could help.

Best of luck Brad. Dealing with this is the kind of thing that can really ruin your day.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 03-19-2012

uwyoda is on a distinguished road
liability insurance deductible unlikely

Brad,
I believe you mentioned that you had not contacted your insurance company because your "deductible is huge". Most likely, your deductible only applies to damage to your boat. Liability deductibles are rare on marine insurance. I suggest you talk to your insurance company and let them deal with it.
davidpm likes this.
Old 03-19-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

I think we have an apples and oranges comparison. A person falling through an unsafe dock is far different than your property causing damage to someone else’s property. The analogy would be more like: You park your car on a hill. Somehow, it rolls down the hill and hits a parked rental car. Who is responsible, the person who rented the car? The car’s manufacturer who should have foreseen you parking on that hill? I would still work with your insurance company and the owner of the property in order to mitigate your exposure.

This does bring up some interesting questions. Who’s insurance company pays for the damages in a hurricane or tsunami? When the tsunami hit Santa Cruz there were plenty of boats sunk or damaged by being hit by other boats or docks? Any Santa Cruz sailors out there?
Old 03-19-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Would it really require hauling a 60 ft dock out of the water to replace a face board and a cleat?

It certainly can't hurt to get advice from your insurance company.

I tend to agree with those that have saidl; the only contract you had was between you and the marina. If they're a full service yard, they already have labor, and they must have cleats. If the marina leases the docks from dock owner and then rents them to you, it would seem they have an obligation to maintain them. But that couldn't be known without seeing their contractual arrangement. What's in the fine print of your rental agreement?
Old 03-19-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Any color on why she pulled a cleat? Was it rotted or overloaded/undersized or weather related? Might make a significant different in how I handled it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-19-2012

Siamese is on a distinguished road

Wait a minute...lemme get this straight.

1. You rent a slip at this marina
2. The marina launched your boat and tied it to the dock that got damaged. But, if I understand your original post, the boat WAS NOT IN YOUR SLIP. Please clarify. The marina parked your boat there on a temporary basis?

If that's the case, I'd tell the dock owner to bugger off. What if the marina owner was launching the boat, but dropped it on someone's Mercedes? Your fault? I don't think so.
Old 03-19-2012

scratchee is on a distinguished road

Not only am I not a lawyer, but I really don't know jack about anything.

Having said that, it's my opinion that nobody has a legal right to your insurance information. If the dock owner is legally entitled to compensation from you, then they need to take that up with you. You can decide whether to submit a claim to your insurance company or not.

I once had a truck that was struck and significantly damaged by another vehicle while my truck was parked. The other driver's insurance company asked me for my insurance information, and told me that I had to file a claim with my insurance company first, to see if they would pay. I did not give them the information, and told them that my insurance had nothing to do with the other driver's liability for the damage to my truck. Likewise, I think it's possible that the dock owner is hoping that they can get some free money from your insurance. I think that here in the U.S., many people think of insurance as a way to get money out of an unfortunate situation without anyone having to take responsibility, and many policy holders go along with this because they feel like they've dodged a bullet if their insurance company pays somebody.

If I were in the position that I think you've described, I would respond once, or perhaps twice, to the dock owner with a polite registered letter explaining that you are not liable for the damages to their dock. After that I would ignore them until contacted by a lawyer. I certainly would not give them my insurance information as that is none of their business.

By the way, it wouldn't hurt to get some advice from an attorney now. Many will offer a free consultation.
Old 03-19-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

I wonder if you all should reconsider this attitude: Do you really want to move? If you got the owner & the marina master out to look at the problem, the 3 of you could fix it together ;& come away loking like best friends, No War! You I am afraid got caught up in,a on going Problem, that a cool head could easily sort out . Life short . Offer to take the guy sailing!...Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 03-20-2012

KnottyGurl is on a distinguished road

have you got photos of the damaged dock, the wood, the bolt size in the cleat and cleat its self with a measure tape along side to show sizes.
If you have a contract with marina then read it and see where you stand. If nothing mentioned then tell marina it's their baby and be happy that nothing happened to your boat.
As for the mystery dock owner " Mute" your only dealings are with marina.
If you feel responsible then repair it, if not then don't.
If marina put it there, then their responsible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.