Pulled out a cleat at my slip, now getting pursued for damages - advice please - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Pulled out a cleat at my slip, now getting pursued for damages - advice please

Need some advice on this one. Over the winter, the boat pulled a cleat out of the dock where I pay a slip fee. It turns out the the floating dock that we are tied to belongs to someone other than the marina. So when the floating dock owner called the marina, the marina said to come after me for the money. The boat is exactly where the marina put it the day they put her back in the water, so I feel it should be the marina's call, especially since I'm paying them for the slip.

Damages look like replacing the cleat that snapped off and screwing the facia board back onto the floating dock. It's a 60 foot floating dock, so the fee to haul it out to do the work is going to be substantial. My deductible is huge, and I'm not sure I should be paying this.

So I got a call from the owner, asking for my insurance information. What do you think I should do next?

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Pulled out a cleat at my slip, now getting pursued for damages - advice please

I have no advice for you but I'm curious: Your marina is collecting money from you to rent you a slip that it doesn't even own?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-19-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: Pulled out a cleat at my slip, now getting pursued for damages - advice please

Post your question in the Ask a Lawyer section of the Avvo.com - Expert Advice When You Need It Most lawyer directory in the state where the marina is located: Ask a Lawyer - Avvo.com
Old 03-19-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

read the fine print of your agreement first? Keep insisting it wasn't secure and you almost lost your boat? look for damage on your boat to make a counter claim. Get ready to find another home for you boat too.
Jus sayin...
jrd22 and chef2sail like this.

my current "project"!
Old 03-19-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

Preface-I'm definitely not an attorney. This should be detailed in the moorage agreement you have with the marina. Our contract for moorage spells out various liabilities etc and who is responsible. If you were directed to this slip by the marina, and were tied in such a way that was acceptable to them then it would seem to me if "their" hardware was either insufficiently strong to hold your boat, or the structure of the float wasn't strong enough to hold the through bolts then that should be on them. The cleats need to be appropriately sized for the size and displacement of the boat tied to them. The fact that only one was torn out suggests to me that there was a structural problem (rot, corrosion, etc) at that cleat. Good luck.
njadventure likes this.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 03-19-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I have no advice for you but I'm curious: Your marina is collecting money from you to rent you a slip that it doesn't even own?
Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Post your question in the Ask a Lawyer section of the Avvo.com - Expert Advice When You Need It Most lawyer directory in the state where the marina is located: Ask a Lawyer - Avvo.com
Done. Good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
read the fine print of your agreement first? Keep insisting it wasn't secure and you almost lost your boat? look for damage on your boat to make a counter claim. Get ready to find another home for you boat too.
Jus sayin...
I don't believe we have a contract. They did a short haul of my boat and then offered the slip afterward.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 03-19-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

You have no relationship with the dock owner so I wouldnt speak to them. I would refer them to the marina you have a business relationship with.

I would also make a point that it was employees of the marina that secured your boat in such a way as to allow the dock to be damaged.

After that theres nothiing to do but lawyer up and be ready for court.
davidpm and chef2sail like this.
Old 03-19-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

I second not dealing with the owner of the dock.
chef2sail likes this.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 03-19-2012
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road

I don't understand how your negligence caused damages to the alleged injured party.

While they are at it, have them explain how their lack of maintenence is your problem.

Call your insurance company.

Tell us who the pirates are so we can avoid them.

Last edited by WouldaShoulda; 03-19-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-19-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
I would also make a point that it was employees of the marina that secured your boat in such a way as to allow the dock to be damaged.
If this is correct, I mean if it was not you but the marina staff that secured your boat I cannot see how you have to pay. If it was you that secured the boat they can say that it was not properly secured and that the forces where not properly distributed.

They provide a service and the means to do it. If the means are not up to provide the service how can this be your fault?

This is a problem between you and the one that provide you with a service: the marina. The problem to know if the marina could rent the space that belonged to someone else is between the marina and the owner of that space.

Regards

Paulo
souljour2000 likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 03-19-2012 at 02:22 PM.