Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012

utchuckd is on a distinguished road
Re: Umm...well...uh-oh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
What is your budget for this new live aboard boat.
I'd like to stay $15K or under, but could prolly go some more if REALLY necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I know that area extremely well!!

First, if you are going to learn the boat there, you will not want anything over 6 foot draft with preference well under.

Good place to stay is probably Snook Bight. I kept my boat there for years, will be again soon if I don't head further south. THey are in the midst of replacing their docks, but be aware, it is still about a 6' approach around teh Mound House at mid+ tide. But there is a Publix right behind it in walking distance and the trolly runs pretty regularly. It is an easy walk to the beach too. Nice pool upstairs an a good restaurant too if you don't mind spending a few bucks (little more upscale).

FMB is very low key. Good restaurants are Nervous Nellies and SOB (Smoking Oyster Brewery), though it is often standing room only. The Hooters there is very good too - not your typical Hooters. Is a bit more of a locals hangout. Next to that is the cottage if you like some night life. Always a live band at night.

I really think FMB is a awesome place to get your skills down. The water is calm and there are a lot of destinations. Cabbage Key, Factory Bay (Naples), Keys, and when you are ready, the Tortugas cannot be missed.

You might also consider migrating south to Marathon. That is my favorite place in the keys for us (as a family). Key West is not for us except by day. Marathon Marina I think is the best place to stay unless you want to grab a ball in Boot Key. Lots of restaurants, etc. I can give you lots of info there too if you want.

Good luck with it all!!! This is where it gets exciting.

Brian
Most everything I've seen online in my price range isn't big enough to have more than about 5' draft, but I want to keep it even lower than that. Keys-Torugas are kinda my first goal to get to when I get to the point of going somewhere.

From what I've seen online, but not actually having put eyes on, I like the open layouts of the Lancer 30 and Hunter 28.5, also like the Tartan 30. But I'm gonna have to get out and see just what's available around here, or what I can get to fairly easily.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by utchuckd View Post
I'd like to stay $15K or under, but could prolly go some more if REALLY necessary.

Most everything I've seen online in my price range isn't big enough to have more than about 5' draft, but I want to keep it even lower than that. Keys-Torugas are kinda my first goal to get to when I get to the point of going somewhere.

From what I've seen online, but not actually having put eyes on, I like the open layouts of the Lancer 30 and Hunter 28.5, also like the Tartan 30. But I'm gonna have to get out and see just what's available around here, or what I can get to fairly easily.
Keys are a milk-run in most weather conditions, but the TOrtugas is another story. I would be quite a bit more cautious with my weather and timing, esp if jumping off from FMB.

THere is a Tartan 30 (or was) in the back bay just south of the Mound House. Been anchored there a long time. No idea if it is worth inquiring about.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-14-2012

Quote:
THere is a Tartan 30 (or was) in the back bay just south of the Mound House. Been anchored there a long time. No idea if it is worth inquiring about.

Brian
Cool, now I gotta figure out how to check it out, who to ask. Did a drive by yesterday and couldn't see much of anything.
Old 05-19-2012

It'd be a lot easier to see these boats if the people who listed them would answer their phone or email. Just saying.
Old 05-30-2012

Would something with a centerboard be something to consider? Any general issues with a CB or just depends on how well it was maintained?
Old 06-01-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by utchuckd View Post
Would something with a centerboard be something to consider? Any general issues with a CB or just depends on how well it was maintained?
I would avoid a CB personally. Too many stores I have heard. This is all hearsay and my personal bias, so take it as such.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-01-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

BTW, I was in FMB over the weekend. Got the perfect boat for you. Already parked and ready to go. How about that WWII battleship??!!!

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-02-2012

Quote:
BTW, I was in FMB over the weekend. Got the perfect boat for you. Already parked and ready to go. How about that WWII battleship??!!!

Brian
They're sinking it today to make an artificial reef for diving.

news-press.com | Southwest Florida '+ pagetitle +' | The News-Press
Old 07-04-2012

claire.giulini is on a distinguished road

Congrats!!!

Old 07-05-2012

Dirtboy is on a distinguished road

Hey utchucked, Congrats on the big move. My friend is selling his 26' Westerly. The Westerly's are high-quality design and construction, very sea worthy and very good cruisers. I owned a 23' Westerly for 15 years and am very impressed with these boats. The Westerly's have large, functional, interiors and will have more use able area that just about any 30 footer. The bilge keel design works well for Florida waters as the draft is only 3'. The bilge keels are only a disadvantage going upwind; she won't point quite as high as a mono keel boat.

She is in good basic condition but could use some work. My friend is very motivated to sell and I think she could be had for much less than 10k and you'd have a good, basic, sound cruiser and money in pocket to upgrade. She has wheel steering and inboard diesel.

I think his is a Centaur: CENTAUR 26 (WESTERLY) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Please PM me if interested. The boat is docked in New Port Richey, a few hours drive north of you.

DB