Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jeff_H

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012

SalinJ is on a distinguished road
Piling Spacing

My dock currently has two pilings, not attached to the dock, 12' away that form a spot to tie a boat up. Does anyone have any opinion on whether or not that is enough space for a boat with an 8' beam? The tide changes about 3' throughout the day.

Thanks,
Justin
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Piling Spacing

I am ssuming they are paralllel to the dock space ( how many feet apart. Plenty of room for a boot with an 8 foot beam in fact it is generous.

dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-19-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

Sure , if you leave 3 ft of slack in line boat can go up and down 6 ft. ... Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 03-20-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

The reference to your beam makes me think these pilings are 12 ft away from the broad side of the slip, to which you would tie lines that would theoretically hold you off the dock. Is this correct?

If so, given roughly a foot for your fenders, there may only be 3 ft of clearance left, or 18 inches to each side as you land. The slack and/or angle left would not really have them doing much. Also, it must be a tight squeeze to get in and out in a crosswind. I've certainly had neighbors that close before, I would rather have pilings.

Perhaps your dock is to your bow or stern and there is no side slip, with the pilings 12 feet off of that to each side of your beam, or the side slip is too short and these effectively extend it usefulness. If so, I would back in so that you can put appropriate slack in the bow lines that are tied to the pilings. The narrow bow would have more room to move side to side when taking up the slack.

Of course, if you want to get fancy, you can have a custom line made with rollers that will travel up and down the piling and you could, therefore, snug them down better.

I'm probably overthinking it. Can you draw a diagram of your slip?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-20-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

I would agree that 3-4 feet of extra room should be enough to tie up with that tidal range but would make a suggestion that you cross the stern lines across the transom to better accommodate the rise and fall.
davidpm likes this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies