Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: What is your opinion of Bavaria's?

Tafa,

Putting the hull/deck in an oven is many times a pretty common thing to do these days. I personally would not worry about that part of a boat I was going to buy. Many also heat and put some of the parts in a vacuum bag to help the resin get thru the cloth/glass part too. This helps keeps the hull/deck light, along with being strong.

But as we all know, the human factor can be an issue with all manufacturing processes, so while something maybe a great way to build, if the humans do not do it correctly.....might as well be the worst way! then again, the worst way done with great care, may be better than the Best way with no care!

marty
Old 03-20-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Paulo, I look at that and realise my criticism was either unjustified or more likely out of date. That is a lot of boat (interior) for 38'. Not much of a lazarette but hey, something has to give.

No, not really. As I have said it was only the smaller boats that looked good. After that they got worst, less warm and more impersonal, or at least it is what I feel. It has nothing to do with quality, just with design.

For what I have seen from the new Bavaria Vision it seems they are finally improving. I hope that design quality reaches the cruiser series too.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 03-20-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Paolo,
That's a LOT of boat. What model is that?

I know what you mean about some boats feeling impersonal. It's something that can be hard to judge from pictures. But it's something you definitely FEEL when you step below.

Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 03-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Paolo,
That's a LOT of boat. What model is that?

I know what you mean about some boats feeling impersonal. It's something that can be hard to judge from pictures. But it's something you definitely FEEL when you step below.

Jim
Jim, that is the new Bavaria Vision 46. I will bet that it will be nominated to next year European Boat of the year contest and it is a very innovative boat and one that seems to be made with living aboard on mind without compromising too much sailing potential. As you say the interior looks good, at least on the photos, and it seems a big improvement over what Bavaria used to offer.

When they have photos of the boat in the water I will post about it on the interesting sailboats thread. I will be following this one and I will be interested in knowing if its sailing performance is as good as the last Vision series. You know, the Vision series surprisingly sailed better than the Cruising series even it its looks suggested otherwise.

Regards

Paulo
Networker likes this.
Old 03-21-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Honestly, I'm a bit miffed.

At 3:12 in the video I find that I must choose between an on-demand coffee maker OR beer on tap.

I fail to see the humor.
drgamble likes this.
Old 03-21-2012

HBBurlington is on a distinguished road

We boarded the 2012 36ft'er at the Toronto Boat Show, and I swooned over the (BMW) interior...Maybe it was just the show boat, but the fit and finish were beautiful, and I liked it over the Bennie and the Dufour that were nearby.

Schwing!!!!
Old 03-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
Honestly, I'm a bit miffed.

At 3:12 in the video I find that I must choose between an on-demand coffee maker OR beer on tap.

I fail to see the humor.
Well, the Guys will want the beer, the wives will want the coffee. It will be a coffee machine in 95% of the boats but anyway they want to show that they have tried to have a beer on tap there

Regards

Paulo
RobGallagher likes this.
Old 03-21-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafa View Post
- They have an accelerated Hull/deck manufacturing process. At that time, they were laying fiberglass layers wet on wet and Drying the hull/deck in a gigantic oven. Some seasoned sailor friends thinks it's not the best way to make fiberglass hull/deck. May cause osmosis problems in the future. (I don't actually know how other mass boat producers are manufacturing the hull. This is just and observation and comment)Tafa
Autoclaving is about the BEST method for curing plastic resin - as long as it is tailored to the process - it's what they do with carbon spars for example. It's only the cost of the huge oven that has kept it from becoming the standard process everywhere.

Just think - you can take the time you need to lay out the fabric - no rush "before it kicks", just get everything just so, then bake it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-22-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Well, the Guys will want the beer, the wives will want the coffee. It will be a coffee machine in 95% of the boats but anyway they want to show that they have tried to have a beer on tap there

Regards

Paulo
Hey Paulo,
do they run that coffee machine off shore power/inverter or has someone finally come up with a half decent 12v espresso machine ?
Andrew

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 03-22-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

That is an incredible boat, no doubt about it. Comparing it to my 1970 43' is laughable - you'd need an old Columbia 57 to even come close to that level of spaciousness. The bosun's locker is wonderful - almost as big as ONE of my cockpit lockers.

I have a couple of questions - how much $$$?

Is it just me or does the perfection of finish on the teak on new boats make it look artificial? My friends Hunter has that same kind of flawless finish and to me it looks like Arborite. I'd be tempted to go over it with a brush, just to introduce a little soul into it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.