Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2012

manhattan08 is on a distinguished road
What is your opinion of Bavaria's?

I have looked through Yeachtworld and a few other websites and found that used Bavaria's are really reasonably priced, more so than other big production boats like Hunter, Bene, and Catalinas. Why is that? How do the Bavaria's compare in terms of quality and handling to the other big production boats?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2012

Caymanpete is on a distinguished road
What is your opinion of Bavaria's?

I can speak of their build quality and their sea keeping. Firstly, if you make a comparison based on the known build quality of motor vehicles, the Bavaria comes out as the VW of the boating world. That is by no means a criticism, since VW are renown for their economical design and reliability. Personally while fitting new Nav instruments, I was impressed with the way that the existing looms were run and they had even left a 'mouse' so that further wires could be run easily along the same route. Clean, simple and functional design throughout - very typical of the Germans .
As to sea keeping. IMHO the ultimate test of any boat is how it makes you feel during a bad blow. Heaved-to in the Bay of Biscay, on delivery passage to Gibralter, the boat felt solid and secure, giving the (off watch) crew the confidence to go below for a brew!
Old 03-20-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Re: What is your opinion of Bavaria's?

They sell lots of boats. There are a few that have issues, most famously those that had the keels come loose and in at least one case fall off. But a closer examination would show that their safety records are OK.

Big numbers in the Med charter fleets and they do OK.

Basically you get a lot of boat for the money.
Old 03-20-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
They sell lots of boats. There are a few that have issues, most famously those that had the keels come loose and in at least one case fall off. But a closer examination would show that their safety records are OK.

Big numbers in the Med charter fleets and they do OK.

Basically you get a lot of boat for the money.
Not again that story with the keel. It was not on the main cruising line but on a performance line they discontinued. They had only problems with the 42 and it seemed to me more a problem of optimistic design than a building problem.

The other boats on the line, the 35 and 38 never had problems:

The first - the Match 35 - competed successfully in a number of Mediterranean regattas. It was followed by the Match 38, one of which competed in the 2004 Sydney to Hobart race.

Of the 116 yachts that started that race 59 retired because of the extreme conditions created by 60 knots winds. The Match 38 - Cure Our Kids - finished 23rd out of the remaining 57. Another Match 38 - Slipknot - finished the last season in Auckland with a cabinet full of trophies.

Bavaria Match 42

They have repaired (modified) all existing 42ft boats and if you have a look at the boat value of the Bavaria Match 42 on the used market you will see that it is good and that suggests that the modification was more than effective and had finished with the problem.

Bavaria 42 Match for sale and charter | TheYachtMarket

Many Bavarias had circumnavigated and some have done it with 36fts. A countryman of mine had done it twice with the same 36ft Bavaria, solo, and it was not the only one, I mean solo circumnavigating on a 36ft Bavaria :

Sail-World.com : Bavaria yachts' offshore success

Regards

Paulo
Old 03-20-2012

jzk is on a distinguished road

I have seen some very nice looking Bavaria 49s (5-cabin) in Croatia for $98,000 or so on yachtworld. Seems like quite the deal. Better yet if you can find one with a yanmar.
Old 03-20-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Speaking (typing?) very subjectively what puts me off Bavarias (80s/90s) is the 'chocolate brown' gelcoat they used on their liners below. A minor matter, I know....

The keel issue was rare and limited to a few (or less) examples of a race model. Never an issue on the cruising line AFAIK.

I think they are probably pretty nice boats to live with. Around here they are not particularly 'bargain priced'..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-20-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

I've always liked the look of the Bavarias but find the interiors disappointing. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not expecting Hallberg Rassey quality but but but. My particular disappointment was that in order to seemingly maximise interior space they push the v-berth right up into the bow.
I do stress that the only Bavarias I have been on board were at boat shows and latest would be three or four years ago, so its quite possible that they have interior layouts that overcome these criticisms though I also seems to find these shortcomings in adverts for 2nd hand boats. This when we were looking over the past few years.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 03-20-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

About interiors regarding the boats from 2000/2009 I like the interiors of the smaler boats (32, 36 and 38) and I don't like the interiors of the bigger boats.

I like particularly the one from the 38 that I think it is a great cruising boat and a lot of boat for the money:

Of course, this is even better looking, the Bavaria Match 38:

Last edited by PCP; 03-20-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-20-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Paulo, I look at that and realise my criticism was either unjustified or more likely out of date. That is a lot of boat (interior) for 38'. Not much of a lazarette but hey, something has to give.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 03-20-2012

Tafa is on a distinguished road

I had the chance to visit Bavaria boat yard in 2006 and had the whole factory tour. It was a week after that unfortunate Match 42 accident. They did not let us take any pictures.

Summary of my observations,

- At the first glance it's big but not so organized factory. At that time they were having some issues on maintaining standard on finishing. I saw same line of boats with different quality of workmanship. Later same year, a friend got his boat delivered with two different wood finish in the interiors.

- They have an accelerated Hull/deck manufacturing process. At that time, they were laying fiberglass layers wet on wet and Drying the hull/deck in a gigantic oven. Some seasoned sailor friends thinks it's not the best way to make fiberglass hull/deck. May cause osmosis problems in the future. (I don't actually know how other mass boat producers are manufacturing the hull. This is just and observation and comment)

- The Hull/keel joint did not seem strong enough. There were no structural reinforcement in joint area. (I have to admit, we were still under the influence of Match 42 accident)

- Like other mass boat producers, they use market proven brand name components for electronics, plumbing, engine, running rigging, sails etc)

I've only sailed a 42 cruiser for a day trip in light air. So I have very very limited personal experience on performance. But everything on the boat worked properly on that short daysail.

Here's my 2c

Tafa