Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Sailing on a shoestring.

Quote:
Reading through this forum I kinda get the idea that there are quite a bit of independently wealthy people
Funny I always thought the opposite. The ones who have money to blow, or lavish, have no need for the forums here and just have someone else do all their projects and maintainence and just "buy" everything. I have always thought the posters her are a lot of avid sailors and DIY like I am who like to share knowledge like I do

Dont confuse the fact that lots of us like to have the best or fix the things we best we can and take pride in our ability to make our boats as safe and as comfortable as we wish. One thing is for sure my wife loves to sail and I think that is because I havent made evry time out a " outhouse inn the woods" sleep on ther ground under a lean-too experience. We are not over the top, but the comforts and safety we have added to our paid for vessel make it more than just our second home. We take a three week trip on her everyyear and sail over 1500 miles during that not to mention every weekend at least from Mid march to mid December.

I dont bemaon those who have spartan minimalist intentions nor do I bemnoan those who fix their boats to the max. After all its about the love of the water...and the rush of the wind.

Dave
Faster and barefootnavigator like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

I'd certainly be richer without my (cheap) boat, but I'd be a lot less wealthy.
Lou452 likes this.

Old 03-21-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

You never see a U-Haul trailer behind a hearse.
Lflowers230 likes this.

Old 03-21-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

My shoe string is a 13' a sunfish and a FJ also 13' My plan is learn to sail. Sell the sunfish! The FJ is "new" to me for 2012. Wait 8 more years on the house payment. It is not a big house. My three children will be out of the house. Two are already out. In 9 years I can try to find a good boat and cruise. All your rope is made of small strands and fiber just keep a plan. If the wind is not with you tack. You can have fun just build up slow and sure.

Last edited by Lou452; 03-21-2012 at 09:39 PM. Reason: grammer spelling
Old 03-21-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Oh add to the above that my plan is not to sell the house and buy a boat. For right now I will learn to sail and pick up know how and wisdom on sailnet
Old 03-21-2012

rbrasi is on a distinguished road
Yes- sailnet is free and the consultations you get here are invaluable. Use them.
Lou452 likes this.
Old 03-22-2012

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

John that was funny. It is an fc and I did pay cash for it but it was by total accident. One day after signing my final divorce papers this little boat found me, she was half price and a worthy investment. When she arrived on her borrowed trailer my life savings was 00.19 cents, so there you have it I got lucky but after 25 years "i'm 43" of sailing and rebuiling boats I think it was finally my time. As of today I have no engine, head, ice box, nav equipment... I do have a compass all plain sail in good condition and my youth.

Old 03-22-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Funny I always thought the opposite. The ones who have money to blow, or lavish, have no need for the forums here and just have someone else do all their projects and maintainence and just "buy" everything. I have always thought the posters her are a lot of avid sailors and DIY like I am who like to share knowledge like I do

Dont confuse the fact that lots of us like to have the best or fix the things we best we can and take pride in our ability to make our boats as safe and as comfortable as we wish. One thing is for sure my wife loves to sail and I think that is because I havent made evry time out a " outhouse inn the woods" sleep on ther ground under a lean-too experience. We are not over the top, but the comforts and safety we have added to our paid for vessel make it more than just our second home. We take a three week trip on her everyyear and sail over 1500 miles during that not to mention every weekend at least from Mid march to mid December.

I dont bemaon those who have spartan minimalist intentions nor do I bemnoan those who fix their boats to the max. After all its about the love of the water...and the rush of the wind.

Dave
This is a great post.

BUT... it's all relative no? I spent $1200 for my boat, and put alot of time into fixing it up, and in total (not counting marina fees) probably have spent about $2500 including the haulout to get it to where it's at now (haha not DONE, never will be, but close)

So for me, when I hear people talking about spending $40K on a boat, or often much more, I think those people must have MUCH more money than me . Then they talk about all the instrument upgrades, and things like radar, or even the expensive (to me) new anchor. Doesn't make someone rich to buy a 40K boat with radar, hardly, esp if they are liveaboards, but like I said it's all relative...
chef2sail likes this.
Old 03-22-2012

johnnyandjebus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
John that was funny. It is an fc and I did pay cash for it but it was by total accident. One day after signing my final divorce papers this little boat found me, she was half price and a worthy investment. When she arrived on her borrowed trailer my life savings was 00.19 cents, so there you have it I got lucky but after 25 years "i'm 43" of sailing and rebuiling boats I think it was finally my time. As of today I have no engine, head, ice box, nav equipment... I do have a compass all plain sail in good condition and my youth.
Barefoot

She's a real beauty. I have been lurking around your blog for a while now, great read.
Good luck on your up coming cruising adventures. Keep the boat and dog happy and everything else will fall in place the way it should.

John

"If you can’t explain it to a six year old, you don’t understand it yourself.”
--Albert Einstein

Last edited by johnnyandjebus; 03-22-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-23-2012
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

My wife and I do ok, but we are far from rich. I sailed off a trailer forever and it is just this season that we are upgrading to a bigger boat with a mooring for the summer and a yard for the winter.

The fees for registration, insurance, mooring and yard come to $220(US)/mo; I know that it isn't that much money, but it is essentially 'money out the window' as soon as the checks are written. It is as much as a car payment; I don't know how anyone does a boat mortgage AND all the annual fees.

I got into the new boat for cheap, but it wants a lot. It only needs afew things, however. A tiller comes to mind; I broke the old one trying to see how stiff the rudder was. (I'm quite the brute, apparently)

So, I do all of my own maintenance when I can and I buy used equipment whenever I can. And sailing is just about all I do. No ski passes, no trips, very few dinners out...

It's important to me, so I make it happen.

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962