SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Sailing on a shoestring. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/85269-sailing-shoestring.html)

barefootnavigator 03-21-2012 03:42 PM

Sailing on a shoestring.

Reading through this forum I kinda get the idea that there are quite a bit of independently wealthy people here " cheers to you :) ". Does anyone here still voyage on a shoestring budget? own their boat? Sail without? I'm just curious and would love to see some examples of happy minimalism.

anthemj24 03-21-2012 03:44 PM

Re: Sailing on a shoestring.

From Charlie Doane:

BLUEWATER SAILING ON A BUDGET: Selecting and Preparing a Boat | Sail Feed

kwaltersmi 03-21-2012 03:45 PM

Did you say shoestring budget? With three young kids, I'm definately on a shoestring budget and am making do without a boat payment.

johnnyquest37 03-21-2012 03:52 PM

Sold my house and most of my furniture and moved into a small apartment close to work. Told the kids they had to pay for their own college (like I did). I drive an 8 year old car and own nothing fancy, except my boat. I make pretty good money, but I live way below my income level in order to support my sailing habit.

Lflowers230 03-21-2012 03:53 PM

I'm a shoe-stringer! I have a pile of kids too but I love sailing. My boat, I got for 2k and I'm having to make payment on that... we don't really get to cruise 'cause we sail on a Lake that is Little Rocks Water supply, so the kids hate it 'cause swimming isn't allowed.

My other issues are: Since I can't jump in the water due to regulations I can't verify my draft. And btw, I don't have a sounder. My wind vane on the mast is about 30* off.

We do what we can to sail, It may not be much or fancy but sailing on a budget beats wishing I was sailing....:)

Faster 03-21-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barefootnavigator (Post 848677)
Reading through this forum I kinda get the idea that there are quite a bit of independently wealthy people here " cheers to you :) ".

With very few exceptions I suspect that most of us here do not resemble that remark... Off the top of my head I can only think of a few SN members who might appear have some real wealth - and even that is only by inference of the boat they sail and the sailing they appear to do based on what they post - for all we know they could be in hock to their eyeballs...

Many have worked hard, are perhaps now finally mortgage free and managing to support a boat and all the expenses that go with that. In many areas owning a boat is a virtual guarantee of lack of wealth ;). Others have finally had personal businesses pay off... etc.

I'm thinking you were kidding, but unfortunately that is a common misconception in the non boating public.. anyone with a boat must be rich.. but it's pretty far from the truth in general.

I do envy those able to minimize, as you say, live on the hook full time and disengage from the hustle and bustle.. but that's not everybody's cup of tea either....

BreakAwayFL 03-21-2012 04:14 PM

Independently wealthy? Hardly. Willing to make sacrifices to live out my dreams? Definitely!

barefootnavigator 03-21-2012 04:26 PM

Excellent, I'm heading out this spring and my monthly budget is well below $500.00 everyone I know seems to think I'm nuts. Having said that I don't know one person in my marina who owns their boat. It seems that 90% of the boats here are abandoned or ill maintained, Its so sad. In a perfect world I would wait to set out till all my ducks were in a row but in a perfect world I would have done that 20 years ago. Id love to see some voyaging budgets.

eherlihy 03-21-2012 04:29 PM

Prior to buying my boat I decided that if I were ever to buy one, it would have to be ca$h. I bought my boat while I was out of work (2years at the time), which gave me an appreciation for every penny that I spent, and lots of time to get her into shape. I posted observations of many of the boats that I looked at here in SailNet.

No sooner was she launched, when I received a job offer...:rolleyes: at least now I can afford the slip and storage fees.:)

I still track and worry, about every penny that I spend on the boat. I'm not rich, and probably won't be able to retire. But, if Newt Gingrich ever gets elected president, I am heading for the Carribean full time.

I love my boat... more than I like money...;)

KIVALO 03-21-2012 04:31 PM

Pick your favorite and salvage it! :laugher

Brad
s/v KIVALO

Quote:

Originally Posted by barefootnavigator (Post 848697)
Excellent, I'm heading out this spring and my monthly budget is well below $500.00 everyone I know seems to think I'm nuts. Having said that I don't know one person in my marina who owns their boat. It seems that 90% of the boats here are abandoned or ill maintained, Its so sad. In a perfect world I would wait to set out till all my ducks were in a row but in a perfect world I would have done that 20 years ago. Id love to see some voyaging budgets.