Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road
Sailing on a shoestring.

Reading through this forum I kinda get the idea that there are quite a bit of independently wealthy people here " cheers to you ". Does anyone here still voyage on a shoestring budget? own their boat? Sail without? I'm just curious and would love to see some examples of happy minimalism.
Lou452 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2012

anthemj24 is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing on a shoestring.

From Charlie Doane:

BLUEWATER SAILING ON A BUDGET: Selecting and Preparing a Boat | Sail Feed
Old 03-21-2012
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

Did you say shoestring budget? With three young kids, I'm definately on a shoestring budget and am making do without a boat payment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-21-2012

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

Sold my house and most of my furniture and moved into a small apartment close to work. Told the kids they had to pay for their own college (like I did). I drive an 8 year old car and own nothing fancy, except my boat. I make pretty good money, but I live way below my income level in order to support my sailing habit.
Lflowers230 likes this.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 03-21-2012

Lflowers230 is on a distinguished road

I'm a shoe-stringer! I have a pile of kids too but I love sailing. My boat, I got for 2k and I'm having to make payment on that... we don't really get to cruise 'cause we sail on a Lake that is Little Rocks Water supply, so the kids hate it 'cause swimming isn't allowed.

My other issues are: Since I can't jump in the water due to regulations I can't verify my draft. And btw, I don't have a sounder. My wind vane on the mast is about 30* off.

We do what we can to sail, It may not be much or fancy but sailing on a budget beats wishing I was sailing....
Old 03-21-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
Reading through this forum I kinda get the idea that there are quite a bit of independently wealthy people here " cheers to you ".
With very few exceptions I suspect that most of us here do not resemble that remark... Off the top of my head I can only think of a few SN members who might appear have some real wealth - and even that is only by inference of the boat they sail and the sailing they appear to do based on what they post - for all we know they could be in hock to their eyeballs...

Many have worked hard, are perhaps now finally mortgage free and managing to support a boat and all the expenses that go with that. In many areas owning a boat is a virtual guarantee of lack of wealth . Others have finally had personal businesses pay off... etc.

I'm thinking you were kidding, but unfortunately that is a common misconception in the non boating public.. anyone with a boat must be rich.. but it's pretty far from the truth in general.

I do envy those able to minimize, as you say, live on the hook full time and disengage from the hustle and bustle.. but that's not everybody's cup of tea either....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-21-2012

BreakAwayFL is on a distinguished road

Independently wealthy? Hardly. Willing to make sacrifices to live out my dreams? Definitely!
Insanity Later
Walker Bay Dingy

Old 03-21-2012

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

Excellent, I'm heading out this spring and my monthly budget is well below $500.00 everyone I know seems to think I'm nuts. Having said that I don't know one person in my marina who owns their boat. It seems that 90% of the boats here are abandoned or ill maintained, Its so sad. In a perfect world I would wait to set out till all my ducks were in a row but in a perfect world I would have done that 20 years ago. Id love to see some voyaging budgets.

Old 03-21-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Prior to buying my boat I decided that if I were ever to buy one, it would have to be ca$h. I bought my boat while I was out of work (2years at the time), which gave me an appreciation for every penny that I spent, and lots of time to get her into shape. I posted observations of many of the boats that I looked at here in SailNet.

No sooner was she launched, when I received a job offer... at least now I can afford the slip and storage fees.

I still track and worry, about every penny that I spend on the boat. I'm not rich, and probably won't be able to retire. But, if Newt Gingrich ever gets elected president, I am heading for the Carribean full time.

I love my boat... more than I like money...
Old 03-21-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road

Pick your favorite and salvage it!

Brad
s/v KIVALO

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
Excellent, I'm heading out this spring and my monthly budget is well below $500.00 everyone I know seems to think I'm nuts. Having said that I don't know one person in my marina who owns their boat. It seems that 90% of the boats here are abandoned or ill maintained, Its so sad. In a perfect world I would wait to set out till all my ducks were in a row but in a perfect world I would have done that 20 years ago. Id love to see some voyaging budgets.
WORK IS OVER-RATED

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.