What’s in a name? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 03-22-2012
SloopJonB's Avatar
Senior Moment Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 10,720
Thanks: 56
Thanked 51 Times in 48 Posts
Rep Power: 4
SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: What’s in a name?

FWIW, I find boat names like After Tacks, The Office, Sales Call - all those "work" related names - are much better suited to power boats, especially fast, noisy ones.

Just don't name it LadyHawke - PLEASE.

P.S. as soon as you realized you wanted different names, you should have simply suggested naming it after your wife - end of argument.
peterchech likes this.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #12  
Old 03-22-2012
tdw's Avatar
tdw tdw is offline
Super Fuzzy Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 14,398
Thanks: 5
Thanked 67 Times in 62 Posts
Rep Power: 10
tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: What’s in a name?

Welshman .... down here they are known as Sea Horses ....

75 names ? Jaysus man .... me and the Wombet went into battle over half a dozen. Whittling down 75 would result in separate bedrooms.

The name thing is difficult. Our previous was named Corlar when we bought her. I'm presuming her first owners were Coral and Larry. It had to go. On my list of all time favourite albums is Gram Parsons and Emmy Lou Harris's "Grievous Angel" and I kind of used Southside Johnny's "Slow Dance" as wingman in winkling my way into the Wombet's bed many moons past. Sentimental attachment, both of them. The damn women vetoed both. Sheesh. Slow may be good on the dance floor or when engaged in the horizontal tango but not for a boat apparently, while the Angel got the flick as being simply overly maudlin, which oi mostly iz and make no apology for it at all. We settled on Silver Raven, nice song and all that but I always felt it was the third party candidate that slipped in and dislodged the frontrunners. Great boat though and she was always simply Raven to us anyway.

Now we have Kukka. Which depending on the language can be a type of flower in both Japanese and Finnish, Swedish slang for 'poo' or alternatively Hashish. Oh being the an optimistic soul (or as optimistic as you average manic depressive paranoid schizophrenic can be) I once more put out feelers for Gram and Emmy Lou but again rejection. Sigh. I wonder how she would feel about Inagaddadavida ?
__________________
Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #13  
Old 03-22-2012
Lubrdink's Avatar
S/V Glenn E
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jefferson County, KS
Posts: 77
Thanks: 20
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 4
Lubrdink is on a distinguished road
Re: What’s in a name?

We thought through a lot of names ourselves but decided that a more serious one was due since we hope this to be our last one.
I'm a funny guy and have some funny friends who suggested lots of goofy names but by the time they ponied up with some names we'd already decided.
Our first boat-a 16' Skipper Snipe-was the Lubberdink. I know it sounds funny but my family originated in Holland and our family name WOULD have been Lubberdinck had we stayed (and the Admiral said she'd have never married me so just as well).
We moved up to a 20' O'Day when she decided using her 50 year old weight slung out with feet in hiking straps was not something she wanted to do anymore. All was well and we enjoyed the Lubberdink Twee (Dutch for "two") until she realized she had to crawl around in the cabin on hands and knees and sleeping on board was a chore including backing up to the potty sans drawers. So, cabin height became a must-have for the next one.
Thank God (really, thank God!) we came upon a good deal on our old 27' Newport with 6'0" headroom.
Anyway, back to the name. We went to look at the boat just after we had been to the funeral of a friend and WWII Navy veteran. When we decided to get it and was working on a name we decided to name it for a Congressional Medal of Honor winner who died the year the boat was made. After looking on the MoH website CMOHS.org - Official Website of the Congressional Medal of Honor Society we settled on the Glenn E, after S/Sgt Glenn English, Jr, who saved many lives while giving his own in Viet Nam, September, 1970. It will help us remember those who don't get to enjoy sailing so that we can.
BTW-everyone is welcome on the Glenn E but the price to board is a salute to the colors in his memory.
Attached Thumbnails
-lubberdink-017.jpg   -lubberdink-021.jpg   -photo0037.jpg   -img_1006.jpg  
__________________
"Sailing with a hero"
Honoring S/Sgt Glenn English, Jr, Congressional Medal of Honor for heroism that cost his life in Viet Nam, 9/7/70.
Newport 27 built 1970-Hull # N270088
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #14  
Old 03-22-2012
SloopJonB's Avatar
Senior Moment Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 10,720
Thanks: 56
Thanked 51 Times in 48 Posts
Rep Power: 4
SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: What’s in a name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubrdink View Post
We thought through a lot of names ourselves but decided that a more serious one was due since we hope this to be our last one.
I'm a funny guy and have some funny friends who suggested lots of goofy names but by the time they ponied up with some names we'd already decided.
Our first boat-a 16' Skipper Snipe-was the Lubberdink. I know it sounds funny but my family originated in Holland and our family name WOULD have been Lubberdinck had we stayed (and the Admiral said she'd have never married me so just as well).
We moved up to a 20' O'Day when she decided using her 50 year old weight slung out with feet in hiking straps was not something she wanted to do anymore. All was well and we enjoyed the Lubberdink Twee (Dutch for "two") until she realized she had to crawl around in the cabin on hands and knees and sleeping on board was a chore including backing up to the potty sans drawers. So, cabin height became a must-have for the next one.
Thank God (really, thank God!) we came upon a good deal on our old 27' Newport with 6'0" headroom.
Anyway, back to the name. We went to look at the boat just after we had been to the funeral of a friend and WWII Navy veteran. When we decided to get it and was working on a name we decided to name it for a Congressional Medal of Honor winner who died the year the boat was made. After looking on the MoH website CMOHS.org - Official Website of the Congressional Medal of Honor Society we settled on the Glenn E, after S/Sgt Glenn English, Jr, who saved many lives while giving his own in Viet Nam, September, 1970. It will help us remember those who don't get to enjoy sailing so that we can.
BTW-everyone is welcome on the Glenn E but the price to board is a salute to the colors in his memory.
Just a slight hijack here - everyone should check that CMH site out as well as the comparable one for V.C. winners. Reading the citations (what they did to earn the medals) is quite an experience just in itself. Horrifying doesn't BEGIN to describe it. Some of them gave me nightmares. I guarantee you will find it hard to believe that mere humans are capable of such feats.

It doesn't take very long - they aren't given out often.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #15  
Old 03-22-2012
KIVALO's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Central New York
Posts: 391
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 3
KIVALO is on a distinguished road
Re: What’s in a name?

How'd you settle on the name? Does it hold a meaning for you or do you just like the name?

Brad
s/v KIVALO


Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
Perhaps there is some misunderstanding.

We have decided on a name: Sea Dragon.
__________________
s/v KIVALO
2003 Hunter 260
"Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester while loading his boat with gin.
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #16  
Old 03-22-2012
Smart Pig's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Deltaville, VA
Posts: 42
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Smart Pig is on a distinguished road
Re: What’s in a name?

Tacks Evasion


Got my vote
__________________
The views and opinions expressed by this pig do not necessarily reflect those of any human being. OINK --
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #17  
Old 03-23-2012
flyingwelshman's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,733
Thanks: 17
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 8
flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Re: What’s in a name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIVALO View Post
How'd you settle on the name? Does it hold a meaning for you or do you just like the name?

Brad
s/v KIVALO
A few things attracted us to the name.

The 'Sea' part has to do with water - goes with the boat. The 'Dragon' part kind of reflects my heritage as the Dragon is prominent on my hereditary flag.

The sea dragon (Phycodurus eques) is a really cool animal.

Plus the graphic potential is huge:



Now that it's been mentioned however: 'Ladyhawke' - that has a nice ring to it....
__________________
1989 Hunter 30'
Southern Georgian Bay

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #18  
Old 03-23-2012
CarbonSink62's Avatar
Load Bearing Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Derry, NH
Posts: 514
Thanks: 7
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 3
CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road
Re: What’s in a name?

My wife suggested 'Moment of Zen' for the Capri 18 and I'm thinking of keeping it for the 25; we only had the 18 for 2 seasons and I don't think the name is worn out.

I'm toying with 'Another Moment of Zen' and 'Moment of Zen II', but I think it will just be 'Moment of Zen' with no explanation. We're changing our cruising grounds as well, so it's not like everyone has seen the first boat.

I suppose I'm breaking rules and inviting bad luck.
__________________
Zen Again

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #19  
Old 03-23-2012
flyingwelshman's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,733
Thanks: 17
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 8
flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Re: What’s in a name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonSink62 View Post
My wife suggested 'Moment of Zen' for the Capri 18 and I'm thinking of keeping it for the 25; we only had the 18 for 2 seasons and I don't think the name is worn out.

I'm toying with 'Another Moment of Zen' and 'Moment of Zen II', but I think it will just be 'Moment of Zen' with no explanation. We're changing our cruising grounds as well, so it's not like everyone has seen the first boat.

I suppose I'm breaking rules and inviting bad luck.
"Zen Again"?
tdw, SloopJonB and CarbonSink62 like this.
__________________
1989 Hunter 30'
Southern Georgian Bay

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:44 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.