Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
What’s in a name?

That which we call ‘Windbag’ by any other name would be as sweet….. (apologies to Mr. Shakespeare!)

Deciding to get a new boat; searching for the ‘one’; inspecting; haggling; budgeting; waiting for the survey: these are all the easy parts of the new to you boat buying process.

The hard part is coming up with the right name for your new vessel.

We, my wife and I, brainstormed and came up with about 75 potential names. Mine tended to be based more on traditional or historical lines such as ‘Griffon’ (the first ship to explore the Great Lakes) or mythological names. I included some names translated from other languages – especially Algonquin names as I have an affinity for the First Nations people. Being a Chef I also suggested some culinary focused ideas: ‘Mise En Place’ (‘everything in its place’) and so on. My wife’s ideas reflected her business (finance) with names such as ‘Tacks Evasion’, ‘After Tacks’ etc.

Once we had arrived at the 75 names we then each took the list and tossed out the names that we could not live with. When we came back together and compared our new lists we found that our list contained 25 potential names.

The next step was for each of us to list the top ten names of the 25 that were left. We figured that we should arrive at a winner. This was an incorrect assumption! We found that we didn’t agree on any of the top ten!

Now my wife and I have been together for about 30 years. We get along really well. One of the reasons that that we get along so well is that we came to the understanding that our brains seem to function in complete opposition. One is hot, the other cold; one goes left, the other right; one likes asparagus, the other Brussel sprouts. You get the picture.

So we were back at square one: no boat name!

Time is getting tight. The survey should be done in 3 – 4 weeks. Once that’s done we’ve got to remove the old name, wax, apply anti-fouling and paint the new name before launch – which I hope will happen in early May.

This past weekend we were sitting down watching some documentary or other when on the screen appeared an incredible animal, one that is high on my bucket list of animals I would love to see in the wild. It is graceful, very unique and in complete control in the water. It also has a pretty cool name: Sea Dragon.

My wife and I looked at each other and shared one of those very rare moments of thinking the same thought. We had hit upon the name!

I’ve dusted off John Vigor’s renaming ceremony and am ready for the service.

Now that the hard part is behind us we’ve just got to get through the relatively simple process of learning how to sail a bigger boat.

Can’t wait.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2012
The Witchdoctor

medicrene is on a distinguished road
Re: What’s in a name?

The name of the boat must have significance. For many sailors like myself,the boat is an extention of themselves. Some of my friends have called me the Witchdoctor becuase I volunteer medical skills in the jungles of South America. My boat is also called the Witchdoctor. When I am on the radio or someone is calling me, I hear the name and I know it is me that is being called. The boat and I are one and the same.

With you and your wife, there must be a synergistic combination of the two that makes you a great couple. Your name should reflect that. Forget the names that others have made famous unless it has meaning to you. If the name of your boat is to be known throughout the world, it will be due to your seamanship (or lack there of) and the stories that are associated with your journeys.

Ask yourselves, who are we? What is our journey? What is it that allows us to hear the call of the sea? When you can answer those questions, you will have the name of your boat.

Rene "The Witchdoctor" Steinhauer
Old 03-22-2012

purplesunshine is on a distinguished road

I communed with my native american ancestors and came up with

Kalaqua...which means sunshine... it could be spelled Galaqua or Yalaqua. I also like Kalaquata becuase that means bright sunshine.

Then again it's just a sunfish.

I would steer away from cutesy names. They're way too popular. Griffin is pretty done to death lately with the whole Harry Potter fad.
Old 03-22-2012

Perhaps there is some misunderstanding.

We have decided on a name: Sea Dragon.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 03-22-2012
Sailing the Salish Sea

Mystic1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesunshine View Post
I also like Kalaquata becuase that means bright sunshine.
Sounds like an exotic tropical fruit
.................................. Van Morrison
Old 03-22-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

I bought my boat in August and still haven't renamed it (though I finally removed the old name yesterday)...

Isn't it bad luck to rename a boat anyway? Next thing you'll be telling us how much you enjoy bananas while cruising!
Old 03-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
I bought my boat in August and still haven't renamed it (though I finally removed the old name yesterday)...

Isn't it bad luck to rename a boat anyway? Next thing you'll be telling us how much you enjoy bananas while cruising!
Bananas, fresh flowers, fully clothed women as I whistle a happy tune, stepping aboard with my left foot.

Old 03-22-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
Bananas, fresh flowers, fully clothed women as I whistle a happy tune, stepping aboard with my left foot.
lol I didn't know fully clothed women on board were bad luck, I'll let my future female guests know this
Old 03-22-2012
You and Me

you and me is on a distinguished road

Our boat is You and Me. One of our friends gave us embrodered pillows and the y was coming undone. A fellow boater was commented that on certain days that could come in handy as ou n me if we got rid of a few more letters!
Old 03-22-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
Perhaps there is some misunderstanding.

We have decided on a name: Sea Dragon.
Ah, but have you decided on a spelling?
I like the pompous "Cedragon" maybe add a couple of extraneous accents for flavour
Or the vaguely obscene "Seed Raggin'" ( although this may lead to questions about earning your redwings)
Or the transvestite- focused B& B-esque "Sea Drag Inn"

Or fake celtic: "Ceidragh Gunn"
tdw and flyingwelshman like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.