Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By CalebD
  • 2 Post By Faster

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012

othernel is on a distinguished road
Newbie to boat shares

Hello,

Sorry about the newb question, but I'm trying to find information about boat shares, in the NYC area, and I don't find much in the way of resources outside of one-off posts on the internet.

Are there established resources regarding boat shares that your community can recommend?

Also, (once again, forgive the newb-ness) but considering the economy and price of gas, I've seen in the NYC area, a lot of people selling non-sail boats for pretty cheaply. Do you think there's also a market for people who already have boats, but do not have the means to actually use/maintain them and would consider renting them out for the summer months, or is that an insane thought?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Newbie to boat shares

Few boat owners are going to be comfortable with 'sharing' their little darlings with a self professed novice. You can put an ad on craigslist looking to share a sailboat though I doubt you will get many replies.
If I were you I'd look into this organization: SailNY - New York City's Community Sailing Association
Then there is Sailtime:
New York City Sailing and Boating with SailTime in Manhattan
Faster likes this.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-22-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Caleb's post was my first thought too... Charter companies aren't personally invested in their boats like most owners.. I think that's a long shot.

OTOH a formalized partnership ownership can make a lot of sense. All bills are essentially split, it's not usually too difficult to come up with a mutually agreeable usage schedule, the maintenance work is halved as well.

However just as you wouldn't (at least not immediately) marry someone based on a CL ad, getting into such a partnership is not something I'd advise with total strangers. We were involved in a very successful 15 year partnership with another family.. kids similar ages and a large, powerful boat that needed some crew. The people we partnered with had been sailing with us for several years already and we knew it would be a compatible situation.

It turned out for us that for the most part we cruised/raced together, often with up to 8 aboard during summer (adults and kids). Projects were more affordable and more easily accomplished, and all in all it worked very well for quite a long time. We had to dissolve it only because of a career change and relocation that made it inconvenient, and it was so much boat that neither of us wanted it just for ourselves (both handling wise and moorage bill wise) We've each gone to mid 30 footers and quite happy there - and still cruise together on occasion.

So the difficulty is going to be finding the 'right' situation.. tough to know/achieve with a 'looking for partner' ad. It is not that unusual for existing partnerships to go through changes and be looking for someone new to take a share over, so keep an eye for those ads, primarily in the marine mags etc.
billyruffn and CalebD like this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-22-2012

othernel is on a distinguished road

Thanks Caleb and Faster,

A lot of info to look into. I'll take a look at the boat share links, maybe I can figure something out. It's just tough in such an ubran locale.

Thanks again for the quick responses!
Old 03-22-2012

miketucker is on a distinguished road

I recommend you check out SailTime (Go Sailing with SailTime Fractional Sailing - Sailing Clubs Redefined). I have a membership in their Toronto base, and I find it works really well. Basically you pay a fee (depending on the size of boat and the amount of access you want, it can vary from a couple thousand to around ten thousand for the year), which entitles you to a certain number of bookings per month. You use their online system to book your times, and the boat is yours for those times. You don't have to do any maintenance, haul-in/haul-out, etc., all you're responsible for is making sure the vessel is clean when you leave.

Their boats are all relatively new (< 5 years old) Hunters, generally 33-41 feet, and well equipped.

As a new sailor, I found it was a great way to get into keelboat sailing without the comittment of buying a boat. I've signed up again for the coming season, although eventually I'd like to transition into owning my own boat.

I just checked the web site, and they have 2 bases in the NY area. Check them out.

Mike
Old 03-22-2012

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road

Sound Sailing Center in Norwalk, CT has a share program. I have no experience with them but am told that they enjoy a good reputation.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.