Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road
Boat renaming/denaming

You have just purchased the perfect boat. What next? One of the first things new boat owners do is change the name of their boat. We have all heard of boat superstitions. Don’t leave on Friday, never paint your boat blue of green, bananas are bad luck. These are all simple things to avoid but what about de-naming and re-naming your boat? I’m not superstitious but I also don’t want to press my luck. I have enough difficulty with basic seamanship. The last thing I want is a boat with bad juju because I broke the code of the sea in renaming my boat. I have heard everything from placing a silver dollar under the mast to sailing backwards a full boat length to erase the old name. I have owned many boats but never renamed any of them. My last boat came with the name Dangerous. How could you ever want to change that? Can you imagine if Bob Bitchin changed the name of The Lost Soul to something like “Obsession” or “My Panacea”? Most boats come with their proper name and a soul not to be reckoned with.
My most recent boat and current home had her name removed over ten years ago, the last time she was in the water but we had no Idea what it was. She was named by her builder But months of research turned up nothing.
After consulting the gods I came to the conclusion that since every boat is different every ritual of boat naming must be individual. Rather than an elaborate ceremony I decided to bond with her and let her spirit guide me.
First came our initial bond, the kind you have long before she has safely carried you through yet one more storm or sat gently bobbing at anchor patiently waiting for her next journey. I simply sat by the light of her lantern with a nice bottle of scotch staring at every nook getting used to her feel and smell.
Eventually her name came to me. She would be forever hailed as The` Tay-Ah. Rather than an elaborate ceremony I chose to make her my blood sister. I waxed, buffed, sanded and oiled every inch of her leaving a trail from bloodied knuckles as I went. In the process I have touched and examined every inch of her inside and out. There is not one scratch, chip, or nick I don’t know about. I know every wire, every leak. Every loose screw has been tightened. My blood lives in her bilges and lockers. Like a newborn infant her genetic makeup will never change. Her soul has been intact since her first conception but together we will continue to bond and grow. We will learn our limits together and push those on every horizon. As a last measure I bought her a bottle of scotch, poured a pinch in her bilge and have saved the rest for her first visitors. When the bottle is empty we will paint her name.
If you happen to stumble across us in the yard feel free to stop by for a drink.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2012

Tafa is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat renaming/denaming

I would follow John Vigor's de-naming/re-naming ceremony.

Denaming

The boat looks gorgeous by the way.... Congrats

Tafa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.